2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

It will be a crucial, interesting, and very different off season for the Lions.

For once, they don't have holes everywhere on the team. They have a few areas that clearly need help, but they also have a lot of places where players from these two drafts and free agents on short contracts really contributed. With all the resources the Lions have to work with, they have a ton of options, and also a number of places where they're facing a choice between trying to upgrade, and sticking with a guy who has been a part of this program advancement. They have a very nice basket of draft picks and enough money to re-sign any of their guys they want to, plus even add a premier vet or three if they want that.

In the past, it almost didn't matter what areas the Lions addressed, they just needed to throw as much talent at the wall as they could get their hands on. Now, there's a lot to break down and a lot of options to consider. I wanted to make a thread where we can do some analysis.

FAs who I absolutely want back: Buggs, Chark, Elliott, Jamaal, Board, Cominsky, Brock Wright

Optional to bring back: Anzalone, Evan Brown, Justin Jackson, Skipper, Hughes, Kraemer

Goodbye: Oruwariye, Matt Nelson, Benito Jones, Austin Bryant, Jarrad Davis

Goodbye to players under contract: Stenberg, Brockers, one of Charles Harris or J. Okwara

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I think Vaitai will for sure be back and the starting RG unless he isn't recovered.

It's a good point about Okudah. In general I think the Lions will totally rebuild the secondary and any CB could be out except Jacobs.

I am pretty sure Big H will be a cap casualty.  His cap hit is way too big and he hasn't stayed healthy.  I would rather sign someone like Nate Davis from the Titans

As far our secondary, we have one long-term answer:  Jerry Jacobs as our #2CB.  Not only do I think the Lions not pick up his 5th year option, I think they should move him off the roster through a release or trade.  A total re-build of the CB is needed.  I don't think the Lions will sign someone like Jamel Dean who is the highest rated FA CB but an under-rated FA CB like Cameron Sutton would be an ideal target.

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am pretty sure Big H will be a cap casualty.  His cap hit is way too big and he hasn't stayed healthy.  I would rather sign someone like Nate Davis from the Titans

As far our secondary, we have one long-term answer:  Jerry Jacobs as our #2CB.  Not only do I think the Lions not pick up his 5th year option, I think they should move him off the roster through a release or trade.  A total re-build of the CB is needed.  I don't think the Lions will sign someone like Jamel Dean who is the highest rated FA CB but an under-rated FA CB like Cameron Sutton would be an ideal target.

Pretty sure Okudah's contract is fully guaranteed he's not going to be released imo.

24 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Pretty sure Okudah's contract is fully guaranteed he's not going to be released imo.

It may start to become a locker-room issue.  How do you tell players that playing time is based on merit and performance but allow a player to hold a roster spot when he really isn't living up to expectations?  It might be a hard decision with respect to the salary cap but I would rather have a player that is performing or that we are developing.  RIght now, Okudah doesn't fall into either category.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

It may start to become a locker-room issue.  How do you tell players that playing time is based on merit and performance but allow a player to hold a roster spot when he really isn't living up to expectations?  It might be a hard decision with respect to the salary cap but I would rather have a player that is performing or that we are developing.  RIght now, Okudah doesn't fall into either category.

Brockers taking up a roster spot didn't seem to cause a locker room issue the last 10 weeks or so. 

If we still had Quintricia here, then every little thing, real or fictitious, could turn into a locker room issue. I don't think the same applies with MCDC running the show.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I kind of see it as Okudah having a season like a typical rookie corner would have. he's a viable backup cb, which we need, with high upside. He's basically in a first full season with high's and lows. At this rate though, I wouldn't see a fifth year picked up on him.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

My high-level assessment of what needs to be addressed in the off-season:

QB#2-At the very least, we need our version of Cooper Rush.  Finding a legit long-term answer at QB who will sit behind Jared Goff for a couple of years would be even better

RG-We don't have our 2023 starting RG on the roster.  Whether it be through free agency or the draft, we have to settle that position down

#3OT/Swing Tackle-Matt Nelson seems to have hit his ceiling.  He isn't a great back-up OT and hasn't shown that he could develop into a a starting OT

RB-Jamal Williams has earned another contract and should be able to play at this level for another couple of years.  D'Andre Swift looked great in the last couple of games but how long will he stay healthy.  I think the coaching staff may choose to draft a RB relatively high as an insurance policy.  They can't afford to lose the production of Jamal Williams.  They can't count on D'Andre Swift to stay healthy.

PK-Michael Badgely is too inconsistent.  We need a more reliable kicker with a stronger leg

DT-We need better depth to keep Alim McNeil and Isaiah Buggs (assuming he comes back) fresh and to be able to step in if one of them goes down with an injury.  They probably played too many snaps

DE-Aidan Hutchinson played a ton of snaps.  We could take and DE high or bring in a complimentary player.  I think it depends on how the staff views Josh Pascal and keeping John Cominsky

LB-Maclom Rodriguez was really good against the run but is limited in covering TEs.  Derrick Barnes is a good rotational LB who is good against the run and so-so in coverage.  Alex Anzalone is an over-achiever who, at times is physically over-matched.  He played the best season of his career but how likely is he to duplicate it next year?  The Lions need a difference maker in the LB-Room and should make it a priority

CB-As mentioned above, we have one long-tern answer:  Jerry Jacobs as our #2CB.  A lot of work needs to be done at this position in free agency and the draft

S-I think this depends on the health of Tracy Murray and if Ifeatu Melinofwu can grab the #3S job.

Oh boy there is alot to get through.

Ownership-

Sheila is the real deal. She's brought in the right people. She's addressing the issues before her (turf, player relations, boundaries as an owner). She's engaged but not overbearing. The organization under her leadership just feels different and for the first time as a Lions fan, I feel like ownership gets it. 

GM-

Brad Holmes has been exceptional. There have been a few miscues along the way. A habit of over drafting injured DL in the 2nd round. A couple contracts I haven't agreed with. But overall, he's done an exceptional job of tearing down the roster and building it back up with quality young players to build around. He seems to embrace input from all areas and his value piecing all these puzzle parts has worked beautifully.

Coaches-

HC MCDC has had some growing pains and on the job education this season. Time management, timeout management and player rotation has been areas of assessment for him. But I like that he takes accountability for those things and you can see the growth throughout the season. He seems to take all of the blame and hand out all of the credit, and although we know that's not always true, that's the type of leadership that engages people. I do like that he seems to have a good working relationship with his coaching staff, but if a hard decision to part ways with one comes up, he's not afraid to make that move. But he does so with respect. Relationships in this league go a long way. 

I think Ben Johnson will get coaching talk but I don't know if he'll get a job right out of the gate. I would possibly negotiate a bit more money for him to keep him around, if need be. I want to see him stick around for a playoff run next season and I think that'll give him his pick of jobs next year. Aaron Glenn had a roller coaster season. I think he got alot of blame for early season struggles that might not necessarily been his doing, but ultimately, he is responsible for the defense. I think this draft/offseason will be defense heavy and he can build it up in his vision with his players. No excuses next season.

I'm wondering who the Lions will bring in to be the secondary coach. We never replaced Pleasant and with all the players I expect them to bring in in the secondary, I think this coach needs to be in place before free agency/draft. I'm pretty happy with all other positional coaches at this point. I think overall, we see good development amongst players and scheme changes to fit our personnel. 

Players-

QB- Jared Goff might not be a sexy young prospect, but he's a solid top 10-12 QB who is still only 28 yrs old and has a reasonable contract for the next couple years. I don't see the Lions replacing him. I could see the Lions bringing in a young player to sit behind him and develop for 2 years down the road. 

RB- D'Andre Swift was supposed to prove himself this season and he did not. When he's on his game, he's a playmaker. But availability, mental toughness and playing to contact seems to make him expendable if a better option comes along. I'm not drafting a 1st rd RB, but if someone is there rounds 3-6, I take them. Jamaal Williams is a free agent and says he wants to stay in Detroit. Sign him to a 3 year deal, through his age 30 season, and re-sign Craig Reynolds and Justin Jackson, and whomever fight for time behind them.

WR- Amon-Ra St. Brown is a stud. We need to extend him long term before WRs contracts go up again when a team like Jacksonville overpays in free agency. Jameson Williams needs to work this offseason on catching the ball. Would love to see him work with Goff on timing and ARSB on the jugs machine. I would re-sign DJ Chark to a reasonable deal, but not high money. Kalif Raymond is solid as a depth player. Reynolds should have done more this season. 

TE- I believe Mitchell is the only TE under contract now. Wouldn't mind re-signing Wright and Zylstra to reasonable small deals. We don't need alot out of our TEs. They can catch a ball and block well. And we wouldn't have to use draft capital on the position. 

OL- Ragnow, Decker and Sewell are locked up until 2025. We need to see about extending Jonah Jackson beyond next season. I see Vaitai being a cap casualty. Cutting him saves $7 million next season and $12.5 the following season. We can re-sign Evan Brown and address RG in the draft. Add a swing T in free agency and our OL is set for 2-3 years. 

DL- Hutch, Paschal, and Alim are locked up for the next 2-3 years. Houston is signed through next season and then is an ERFA. We need to cut Brockers (saves $10 millions this season), Romeo (saves $7.5 million), re-sign John Cominsky and Isaiah Buggs and address the line in both free agency and the draft. We need to get better against the run inside. 

LB- We have Malcolm Rodriguez and Derrick Barnes signed through the next two seasons. I believe Julian Okwara has one year remaining. Everyone else is a free agent. This is hard for me to address because I have no idea what the Lions expect out of their LBs. They seem to believe Anzalone is good despite missing multiple tackles, always running into stops late and never being able to cover. Malcolm can at least tackle and play the gaps. This is an area that concerns me, but seems to not be much of a concern for our front office/coaching staff.  I don't know that we value drafting players high for this position, but it's an area that needs help. 

S- Kerby Joseph has potential to be a great ball hawk, but he needs to play in coverage. He's a converted WR and you can see the ball skills, but positionally being in the correct spot is something he needs to work on. I hope Tracy Walker gets back soon so we can see where he's at. I'd like to re-sign DeShon Elliott. I'm not sure Melifonwu is a safety. I think they need to move him back to corner and draft a top S. Branch would be my top choice, but Battle might be there in round 2 for us. 

CB- This is an area that needs alot of addressing. Like DL, I think we attack it in both free agency and the draft. Okudah is owed $10M next season but I believe it's fully guaranteed, so cutting him does not help us. And to be fair, I don't think he's done so little to just cut out right. I would look to rework his deal, add a couple years and move that money around. Give him more time to develop. Jerry Jacobs is arguably our best CB and he's a good depth guy but I don't trust him one on one with a guy for 17 games a season. I'd look to bring in a veteran corner that can help mold these guys on the field. Draft one or two corners with high upside and bring in a DB coach with a good ability to build around young DBs, maybe even look at the college ranks. I wouldn't bring back Harris or Oruwariye, but I know some people like Harris. I feel like they've tried masking him in different spots and I would trust a NB from the draft, like Antonio Johnson, much more than Harris. 

ST- Jack Fox is signed long term. I'd look to re-sign LS Scott Daly. K needs to be addressed. Free agent options don't look to appealing. I would use our last draft pick, 6th rounder, to draft Jake Moody from Michigan. Lock up that position with a guy with a solid leg and good range. Kalif Raymond has been very nice as a PR guy. KR was mostly Justin Jackson this season. If we re-sign him, that would shore up that for us as well. David Fipp has done a great job with this group. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Oh boy there is alot to get through.

Ownership-

Sheila is the real deal. She's brought in the right people. She's addressing the issues before her (turf, player relations, boundaries as an owner). She's engaged but not overbearing. The organization under her leadership just feels different and for the first time as a Lions fan, I feel like ownership gets it. 

GM-

Brad Holmes has been exceptional. There have been a few miscues along the way. A habit of over drafting injured DL in the 2nd round. A couple contracts I haven't agreed with. But overall, he's done an exceptional job of tearing down the roster and building it back up with quality young players to build around. He seems to embrace input from all areas and his value piecing all these puzzle parts has worked beautifully.

Coaches-

HC MCDC has had some growing pains and on the job education this season. Time management, timeout management and player rotation has been areas of assessment for him. But I like that he takes accountability for those things and you can see the growth throughout the season. He seems to take all of the blame and hand out all of the credit, and although we know that's not always true, that's the type of leadership that engages people. I do like that he seems to have a good working relationship with his coaching staff, but if a hard decision to part ways with one comes up, he's not afraid to make that move. But he does so with respect. Relationships in this league go a long way. 

I think Ben Johnson will get coaching talk but I don't know if he'll get a job right out of the gate. I would possibly negotiate a bit more money for him to keep him around, if need be. I want to see him stick around for a playoff run next season and I think that'll give him his pick of jobs next year. Aaron Glenn had a roller coaster season. I think he got alot of blame for early season struggles that might not necessarily been his doing, but ultimately, he is responsible for the defense. I think this draft/offseason will be defense heavy and he can build it up in his vision with his players. No excuses next season.

I'm wondering who the Lions will bring in to be the secondary coach. We never replaced Pleasant and with all the players I expect them to bring in in the secondary, I think this coach needs to be in place before free agency/draft. I'm pretty happy with all other positional coaches at this point. I think overall, we see good development amongst players and scheme changes to fit our personnel. 

Players-

QB- Jared Goff might not be a sexy young prospect, but he's a solid top 10-12 QB who is still only 28 yrs old and has a reasonable contract for the next couple years. I don't see the Lions replacing him. I could see the Lions bringing in a young player to sit behind him and develop for 2 years down the road. 

RB- D'Andre Swift was supposed to prove himself this season and he did not. When he's on his game, he's a playmaker. But availability, mental toughness and playing to contact seems to make him expendable if a better option comes along. I'm not drafting a 1st rd RB, but if someone is there rounds 3-6, I take them. Jamaal Williams is a free agent and says he wants to stay in Detroit. Sign him to a 3 year deal, through his age 30 season, and re-sign Craig Reynolds and Justin Jackson, and whomever fight for time behind them.

WR- Amon-Ra St. Brown is a stud. We need to extend him long term before WRs contracts go up again when a team like Jacksonville overpays in free agency. Jameson Williams needs to work this offseason on catching the ball. Would love to see him work with Goff on timing and ARSB on the jugs machine. I would re-sign DJ Chark to a reasonable deal, but not high money. Kalif Raymond is solid as a depth player. Reynolds should have done more this season. 

TE- I believe Mitchell is the only TE under contract now. Wouldn't mind re-signing Wright and Zylstra to reasonable small deals. We don't need alot out of our TEs. They can catch a ball and block well. And we wouldn't have to use draft capital on the position. 

OL- Ragnow, Decker and Sewell are locked up until 2025. We need to see about extending Jonah Jackson beyond next season. I see Vaitai being a cap casualty. Cutting him saves $7 million next season and $12.5 the following season. We can re-sign Evan Brown and address RG in the draft. Add a swing T in free agency and our OL is set for 2-3 years. 

DL- Hutch, Paschal, and Alim are locked up for the next 2-3 years. Houston is signed through next season and then is an ERFA. We need to cut Brockers (saves $10 millions this season), Romeo (saves $7.5 million), re-sign John Cominsky and Isaiah Buggs and address the line in both free agency and the draft. We need to get better against the run inside. 

LB- We have Malcolm Rodriguez and Derrick Barnes signed through the next two seasons. I believe Julian Okwara has one year remaining. Everyone else is a free agent. This is hard for me to address because I have no idea what the Lions expect out of their LBs. They seem to believe Anzalone is good despite missing multiple tackles, always running into stops late and never being able to cover. Malcolm can at least tackle and play the gaps. This is an area that concerns me, but seems to not be much of a concern for our front office/coaching staff.  I don't know that we value drafting players high for this position, but it's an area that needs help. 

S- Kerby Joseph has potential to be a great ball hawk, but he needs to play in coverage. He's a converted WR and you can see the ball skills, but positionally being in the correct spot is something he needs to work on. I hope Tracy Walker gets back soon so we can see where he's at. I'd like to re-sign DeShon Elliott. I'm not sure Melifonwu is a safety. I think they need to move him back to corner and draft a top S. Branch would be my top choice, but Battle might be there in round 2 for us. 

CB- This is an area that needs alot of addressing. Like DL, I think we attack it in both free agency and the draft. Okudah is owed $10M next season but I believe it's fully guaranteed, so cutting him does not help us. And to be fair, I don't think he's done so little to just cut out right. I would look to rework his deal, add a couple years and move that money around. Give him more time to develop. Jerry Jacobs is arguably our best CB and he's a good depth guy but I don't trust him one on one with a guy for 17 games a season. I'd look to bring in a veteran corner that can help mold these guys on the field. Draft one or two corners with high upside and bring in a DB coach with a good ability to build around young DBs, maybe even look at the college ranks. I wouldn't bring back Harris or Oruwariye, but I know some people like Harris. I feel like they've tried masking him in different spots and I would trust a NB from the draft, like Antonio Johnson, much more than Harris. 

ST- Jack Fox is signed long term. I'd look to re-sign LS Scott Daly. K needs to be addressed. Free agent options don't look to appealing. I would use our last draft pick, 6th rounder, to draft Jake Moody from Michigan. Lock up that position with a guy with a solid leg and good range. Kalif Raymond has been very nice as a PR guy. KR was mostly Justin Jackson this season. If we re-sign him, that would shore up that for us as well. David Fipp has done a great job with this group. 

Moving on from Romeo Okwara, perferably via trade, will generate significantly more cap relief if it is a post June 1 move.  Pass rushers are always in demand and a team that is looking to add some pass rush juice for a playoff run or due to injuries might we willing to give us a decent return.

https://overthecap.com/player/romeo-okwara/5296