2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

45 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am not in the head of the Lions management but at some point they have to banking some cap space to sign their "cornerstone" players to extensions without putting themselves in "cap hell" like the New Orleans Saints.

I would think they would place an emphasis on generally accepted franchise cornerstone position groups

• QB
  • OT
  • Edge
  • CB

We don't really have anyone in 2023/2024 that fit those boxes. WR1's seem to be getting paid and ARSB is one of the top guys in the league. I have to imagine that he's going to get paid when his time is up.

Jackson has been a pro bowl LG. We should keep invested in our OL but I don't know if either he gets paid or if we need to work through some of those OL contracts to open up new money for the younger guys. 

Decker will be 31 and save $9M in cap space in 2024; Vaitai will probably be gone before then. Otherwise he also saves $9M at age 31. Sewell is going to get his 5th year option exercised in 2025 and under a new contract by at least 2026. 

Our FO has done a really good job at not getting too much money tied up in bad contracts at non-premier positions. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I would think they would place an emphasis on generally accepted franchise cornerstone position groups

• QB
  • OT
  • Edge
  • CB

We don't really have anyone in 2023/2024 that fit those boxes. WR1's seem to be getting paid and ARSB is one of the top guys in the league. I have to imagine that he's going to get paid when his time is up.

Jackson has been a pro bowl LG. We should keep invested in our OL but I don't know if either he gets paid or if we need to work through some of those OL contracts to open up new money for the younger guys. 

Decker will be 31 and save $9M in cap space in 2024; Vaitai will probably be gone before then. Otherwise he also saves $9M at age 31. Sewell is going to get his 5th year option exercised in 2025 and under a new contract by at least 2026. 

Our FO has done a really good job at not getting too much money tied up in bad contracts at non-premier positions. 

I was looking 2023 cap numbers up this year.  The cap savings generated by cutting Michael Brockers (Pre-June 1st cut), Charles Harris (Post June 1st Cut) and Halapoulivaati Vaitai is about $25 million.  Romeo Okwara could add another $11 Million in cap savings in a post June 1st trade which could be a very real possibility given the performance of Aidan Hutchinson and John Cominsky along with the continued development of James Houston and Josh Pascal.  

Taylor Decker is still playing at a pretty high level and his cap number isn't burdensome.  He was a little nicked-up this year but over all, he had a pretty good season.  More importantly, our only option to replace him would be to move Penei Sewell to LT without having a legitimate starting RT to replace him.  I can't imagine a scenario where the Lions would consider moving him of the roster for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Just Want A Title

51 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was looking 2023 cap numbers up this year.  The cap savings generated by cutting Michael Brockers (Pre-June 1st cut), Charles Harris (Post June 1st Cut) and Halapoulivaati Vaitai is about $25 million.  Romeo Okwara could add another $11 Million in cap savings in a post June 1st trade which could be a very real possibility given the performance of Aidan Hutchinson and John Cominsky along with the continued development of James Houston and Josh Pascal.  

Taylor Decker is still playing at a pretty high level and his cap number isn't burdensome.  He was a little nicked-up this year but over all, he had a pretty good season.  More importantly, our only option to replace him would be to move Penei Sewell to LT without having a legitimate starting RT to replace him.  I can't imagine a scenario where the Lions would consider moving him of the roster for the foreseeable future.

I can see it being more likely in 2 years. There isn't anything stopping us from adding someone via the draft that could eventually step in and fill that role. Darnell Wright is a decent RT candidate this year and could probably take over for Sewell but I think it's far too early for that. Decker is a leader on this team, his play isn't detrimental and we don't need the cap money. 

Yea, I think Holmes is a stickler for positional value when it comes to high draft resources and I assume cap space as well. He will underpay positions like LB or RB by simply draft them at lower positions or getting hometown discounts rather splashing. You can like it or hate it, but I think this is his strategy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, General Tso said:

Yea, I think Holmes is a stickler for positional value when it comes to high draft resources and I assume cap space as well. He will underpay positions like LB or RB by simply draft them at lower positions or getting hometown discounts rather splashing. You can like it or hate it, but I think this is his strategy.

I am not sure he as really tipped his hand with respect to how he prefers to build a roster.  The team he inherited had 5 legit starters (Taylor Decker, Frank Ragnow Jonah Jackson, Tracy Walker and Romeo Okwara) out of 22, very little depth to speak of and had pretty significant salary cap constraints.  He has basically been in "crisis-mode" for two years just to get our roster back to respectability.  2023 will be the first year that he has had to make genuinely difficult decisions on internal free agents such as Jamal Williams, DJ Chark, John Cominsky and Isaiah Buggs.  He has taken key positions high in his first two drafts like (Edge and OT) but it is really tough to read into what he values because he had so many problems to address.  We still don't have long-term answers at CB other than Jerry Jacobs and that is a critical position on any team.

Brad Holmes has had a great first two years as our General Manager.  However, I think the real test will be the next 2-3 years.  He will have to steer the team from a 9-8 level to a team that is capable of making a deep playoff run.  He will also have some much harder decisions what players he wants to keep and which ones move on.  I think he will make good use of the draft capital he as this year to push our win totals into the double digits.  One thing I can say with confidence is that if there is a weakness on this team that will prevent it from getting better he will address that weakness.

• Like 2

Lions reportedly hiring longtime Browns TE Steve Heiden to coach position

Heiden will take over for Tanner Engstrand, who began working with the tight ends late in 2021 before being named tight ends coach/passing game coordinator last season. His future role with the team is unclear.

Rumors from the internet have Engstrand focusing on the passing game coordinator role as he is being groomed to take over for Ben Johnson when Johnson gets hired as a HC. The St. Brown to Swift hook and ladder play was apparently Engstrand's design. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

Lions reportedly hiring longtime Browns TE Steve Heiden to coach position

Rumors from the internet have Engstrand focusing on the passing game coordinator role as he is being groomed to take over for Ben Johnson when Johnson gets hired as a HC. The St. Brown to Swift hook and ladder play was apparently Engstrand's design. 

It is interesting that we've been focused on the TE position coach but never replaced Aubrey Pleasant as DB and defensive passing game coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It is interesting that we've been focused on the TE position coach but never replaced Aubrey Pleasant as DB and defensive passing game coordinator. 

The off season is young. I suspect plenty of tweaks to the coaching staff are coming. Especially if AG leaves or Sean Payton plunders some coaches from Campbell.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This isn't surprising.  He has done a good job in Detroit and has earned a promotion.  Have they said what his new position will be?  

I have to imagine OC. Frank Reich has said that he's not going to be calling plays. This would be the next evolution for Staley to eventually become a HC.  Unfortunately, this will come without any compensation. 

•  A team that loses a minority assistant coach who becomes a head coach or loses a personnel executive who becomes a general manager will receive third-round compensatory picks in each of the next two drafts.
  • A team that loses two minority staffers to head coach and general manager positions would receive three third-round picks.

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

As I understand the hiring rules, another team can't hire an assistant coach away from their team without it being a promotion-unless both teams agree to the move.

Correct. I think Campbell will allow him to go if that's what Duce is requesting.