2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

13 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Sutton / Mosely / Okudah / Jacobs / Harris

CB room getting crowded. I still think we might draft one, but it might not be the first round anymore. I like Emmanuel Forbes in the 2nd round. He's a gamer. He might have "it" that Campbell is looking for.

Harris is an UFA this year and likely won't be back.  Jacobs, Okudah and Moseley all are only signed through next year.  I think this is just insurance for a rookie CB since it can take time to adapt to the NFL and he isn't forced into being a CB1 or 2. 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Love it. It was integral to our pass rush last season. Once again, not locked up long term though. So if we draft/develop, we can move on. 

Now let's re-sign Jamaal!! 

Agreed.  Given what others have gotten on the market, I think its a steal.  I expected to lose him because I thought he would get out of our price range but this is perfect IMO. 

Just need Jamaal resigned and then I think we'll be done. Team is set up nicely to just go BPA in the draft since we don't have a lot of long-term commitments and we don't have to feel pigeon holed into a certain position at a certain round in the draft. Overall talent level should go up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There is a chance we could, but also these are all short term deals with Okudah, Moseley and Jacobs all having contracts end after this year, assuming we don't pick up that fifth year option.  Moving on from Okudah doesn't save us any money so unless we trade him, he will have until the end of pre-season at least to prove himself.  

Personally, given the kind of players that Brad Holmes has brought in, they may view moving on from Jeff Okudah as addition by subtraction.  Remember Dan Campbell's quote about Mike Hughes:  "he earned the right to start".  Jeff Okudah might be off the roster sooner rather than later.

Question: what happened to Jeff Okudah. I liked him a lot coming out of Ohio State, but never hear anything about him. I know he suffered a serious injury, but what are the prospects for his future?

I see the Lions constantly being mocked a CB with the 6th pick.

10 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Personally, given the kind of players that Brad Holmes has brought in, they may view moving on from Jeff Okudah as addition by subtraction.  Remember Dan Campbell's quote about Mike Hughes:  "he earned the right to start".  Jeff Okudah might be off the roster sooner rather than later.

Potentially, but it doesn't help our cap situation and he is now going into his first offseason healthy.  I would fully expect us to see how he develops this offseason before making any decisions on moving him but if someone gave us a decent pick, we may make a move.  I don't think these moves impact that since we are down 3 CBs in the rotation already and have now filled 2 of those spots.  

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

Question: what happened to Jeff Okudah. I liked him a lot coming out of Ohio State, but never hear anything about him. I know he suffered a serious injury, but what are the prospects for his future?

He tore his Achilles last year in week 2.  Had a promising start to this season but had a head injury and fell off after that.  Likely in his last year in Detroit or potentially cut/traded but he is likely on his last chance to prove himself. 

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

He was broken by Patricia's stupidity. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

He was broken by Patricia's stupidity. 

Matt Patricia didn't help but lets not absolve Jeff Okudah of his responsibility for his inconsistent/enigmatic play.  Example:  Most CBs know or figure out how to use the sideline as a second defender.  He does not understand this concept.