What should the Bears do?

Trey Lance

4 hours ago, Ty21 said:

You know we had the worst wr corps in the nfl last year right? I can’t believe in this day and age Sammy Watkins’ name is still getting thrown in the ring for being able to help a roster in the slightest. Marvin is about to be 33. His best years are behind them and the new regime just cut most of our aging assets and dead weight, so adding more contradicts that. I genuinely think to add a 30+ year old wr he’d have to be able to make an obvious impact on the game, like Nuk. I don’t hate Juju but don’t see him playing above 3, which is where Claypool will be. Seems counterintuitive to risk his development after spending a 2 on him so he can split snaps with a similar potential ceiling/output. 

I'd like to reiterate. The Bears do not have anyone at receiver. They don't have the picks to fix the position either unless they trade down and gather picks.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agency-2023-wide-receivers-jakobi-meyers-juju-smith-schuster-allen-lazard

I'd much rather have Watkins and Marvin on short contracts than pay Jacoby Meyers or Alan Lazard a lot long term. The fact the Bears have zero current options should mean they're attempting to upgrade the position, and Sammy Watkins is a good 4th option with a good attitude for a team trying to develop a QB.

Watkins is better than anyone they have except Claypool. Jones is probably better. So is Juju. Sign Juju long term as a #2, sign Jones and Watkins to a 1 year deal.

Bears have GOT to get receivers. I'd be incredibly worried about Field's development and I'd be doing everything i could do help that process rather than Chase Claypool's. That was a bad trade for a bad player. I'm not big on chasing dead money.

Saying they'd prefer Hopkins is kind of silly. Of course they would, but he's currently a Cardinal and has a 30 mil cap hit.

Edited by nagahide13

On 1/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I would take a QB and trade Fields. I think they trade down and go BPA though.

ANY/A is a cherry-picking stat, if we're being honest.  It's net-yards-per-attempt, so it rewards checkdowns that go for big gains on YAC (i.e. the QB is making the highest-percentage throw and reaping the same benefits as though he were dropping a dime in a tight/contested window, pretty much entirely on the back of the QB's weapons).

Maybe we don't go judging Justin Fields by cherrypicked stats - or at least get a full gamut of statistical evaluations - that ignore context.  I'm not saying one is the other, but Jalen Hurts was a full 1.5 points lower in ANY/A in his first sample-size of starts - with a better OL and better weapons than what Fields has got - than he was in the season he just turned in.

49 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Sammy Watkins is a good 4th option with a good attitude for a team trying to develop a QB.

Watkins is better than anyone they have except Claypool. 

Is there another Sammy Watkins that I’m unaware of? 

The Watkins I know probably isn’t even going to be on a football team next year. He’s awful and never stays healthy.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is there another Sammy Watkins that I’m unaware of? 

The Watkins I know probably isn’t even going to be on a football team next year. He’s awful and never stays healthy.

My nephew. He's a star. Y'all just wait.

Maybe I'm overrating Watkins by a lot even as a locker-room guy. I do think Marvin could be a really low end #1 for them for a year or so though until they start to actually rebuild on a decent schedule. The Bears are so far behind that they're really just going to need to plug some holes in the short term while also considering the development of a young QB.

I'm probably in the minority again, but I don't think Hopkins is a good option. Cap, trade value, no-trade clause, etc. It's a horrible trade in the making and would probably set Chicago back years more. They need to be more patient... desperate trades have pretty much destroyed the current franchise.

10 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

My nephew. He's a star. Y'all just wait.

Maybe I'm overrating Watkins by a lot even as a locker-room guy. I do think Marvin could be a really low end #1 for them for a year or so though until they start to actually rebuild on a decent schedule. The Bears are so far behind that they're really just going to need to plug some holes in the short term while also considering the development of a young QB.

I'm probably in the minority again, but I don't think Hopkins is a good option. Cap, trade value, no-trade clause, etc. It's a horrible trade in the making and would probably set Chicago back years more. They need to be more patient... desperate trades have pretty much destroyed the current franchise.

Desperate trades such as trading what turned out to be 33rd overall for Chase Claypool?

Nah, I agree with your premise. Jones would be a fine addition, IMO, maybe not as a 1 or 2 but it appears like he’s a good locker room guy. Hopkins isn’t the move either, not for Chicago. Guys like Lazard and Meyers actually probably would be exactly what the doctor ordered for Fields, but as you said, depends how their market looks. Then again, the Bears are in better position than anyone to overpay for some help, especially at receiver. Especially Meyers, I think a reliable slot receiver is exactly what they need with Claypool (who’s more of a downfield threat) and Mooney (who can do a bit of it all). I’d see if the Jets would part with Corey Davis for a late rounder, they’ll likely cut him anyway.

Unfortunately for Bears fans, I think the pick they used to get Claypool probably would’ve given them a lot more/better trade options than they got. They may have been enough to get second looks from Houston for Cooks, Denver for Sutton/Jeudy, or Cincy for Boyd (probably a little more for Higgins entering a contract year).

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:36 PM, Trey Lance said:

With the Bears securing the number 1 pick, what should they do? 

- Take a quarterback. Young or Stroud? Which team trades for Fields and what will it take? 

- Trade the pick for multiple firsts and build around Fields? 

They should build around Fields. Trade down to like 4 or 5, get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, whoever slips from the 3 QBs and those 2 and then use the 2nd and future picks to surround Fields with OL and WR talent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scar988 said:

They should build around Fields. Trade down to like 4 or 5, get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, whoever slips from the 3 QBs and those 2 and then use the 2nd and future picks to surround Fields with OL and WR talent.

I like it except for potentially drafting one of the QBs. Trade down would be great. They definitely should not draft a QB early this year. I'm far more confident with next year's group and you really need to give Fields something before they turn him into Tim Couch. Give him a year with NFL caliber receivers and consider drafting a QB next year if he fails. If he does they'll probably be picking early anyway... unless they trade it.

Just now, nagahide13 said:

I like it except for potentially drafting one of the QBs. Trade down would be great. They definitely should not draft a QB early this year. I'm far more confident with next year's group and you really need to give Fields something before they turn him into Tim Couch. Give him a year with NFL caliber receivers and consider drafting a QB next year if he fails. If he does they'll probably be picking early anyway... unless they trade it.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying 3 QBS should go in the top 5 picks after all the trades. But the Bears if they trade to 4 or 5 should take whoever is left of Carter or Anderson.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, malak1 said:

Yea, I'm not sure how that addresses the point I was making which is that training with Hurts (or anyone else) isn't going to help Justin make the same type of leap that Hurts did. It's the talent around Hurts along with Hurts' honing his skills (but mostly the talent around him) that allowed that jump to take place. 

You responded to him and completely missed the point. That's what he's addressing. He's saying Fields needs to improve his mechanics and put the work in during the off-season AND the Bears front office needs to go out and get him some playmakers and O-line help. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, Nabbs4u said:

If I'm Fields,  after the season I am asking Jalen Hurts if we can meet, weekends on me. Pick Jalens brain, find out who he works with, what his daily routine is, how he prepares, ect. 

Now whether or not Justin has the mental makeup to put in the work, put in the time (which all we've heard all season is absurd by Hurts) remains to be seen. Starts there, hope you to can correct your footwork,  mechanics and accuracy going into season 3 and the FO gives you help.

You know, kinda like year 2 going into year 3 Josh Allen/Buffalo did?

Fields work ethic and leadership are the last of our concerns. His coaches and teammates glow about him and the work he puts in. He needs to improve as a passer, specifically making quicker decisions and short accuracy. The front office needs to invest heavily around him. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Idk guys…can the Bears really afford to whiff on Bryce Young? If he becomes a star and Fields doesn’t become elite, they’re gonna feel really dumb. I’m leaning towards trading away the pick, but it’s a tough call. 

You're really working hard to sell a QB who may well be shorter than 5'11" (which there is a historically terrible success rate in the NFL), aren't you?

4 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

You're really working hard to sell a QB who may well be shorter than 5'11" (which there is a historically terrible success rate in the NFL), aren't you?

Yeah. I’m driving the hype train for sure. He’s definitely not the unanimous #1 overall pick in the draft or anything. And with how badly he struggled to see over the gigantic Alabama OL and SEC defenders, I can see why he’s considered a 5th-6th round pick by most analysts.