Free Agency

Louis Friend

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

He is the #1 free agent LB and would provide a huge boost to the second level of our defense.  Cutting Michael Brockers, Haloulivaati Vaitai, Charles Harris and Quintez Cephus would more then cover his addition to the roister without taking away any production.  

Just cutting Romeo, Brockers and Vaitai (along with our other space) would give us over $40 million in capspace. More than enough to add one two big free agents, re-sign our main guys, and have money for the rookie class. 

I'm just not sure what a good contract for Edmunds would be. Bills are over the cap and need help at WR and DL. If we play our cards right, Edmunds could be an option. 

19 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Just cutting Romeo, Brockers and Vaitai (along with our other space) would give us over $40 million in capspace. More than enough to add one two big free agents, re-sign our main guys, and have money for the rookie class. 

I'm just not sure what a good contract for Edmunds would be. Bills are over the cap and need help at WR and DL. If we play our cards right, Edmunds could be an option. 

I think it depends on how you structure the roster cuts.  Making Brockers and Cephus pre-June 1st cuts will create about $11 Million in cap savings.  If I remember correctly, a team only gets two post-June 1st cuts every year.  Making Vaitai a post June 1st cut will create and additional $9.5 Million.  Making Charles Harris a pre-june 1st cut will save $4 million and leave one Post June 1st cut designation open.  Making Charles Harris a post June 1st cut would save $6 Million.

Romeo Okwara is a little different because he is 28 years old and has some proven pass-rushing skills.  They may not want to move him off the roster.  If he is cut or traded before June 1st the Lions get $7.5 million in cap savings.  If the Lions designate him a post June 1st cut they will create $11 Million in cap savings.  However, if he is traded post June 1st we still get the same amount of cap savings.  If Romeo Okwara stays healthy in the off-season he could be a reasonably valuable trade asset to a team that has an unexpected injury or wants some extra pass-rushing juice for a playoff run.  Personally, I think the Lions will trade him after the dust settles in free agency and the draft prior to the start of training camp,

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

Anyone have historical PFF on Edmunds? I remember hearing that he made a jump this past year.. in a contract year. I'm always suspicious of players like that.

It isn't PFF but the Advanced Defense and Fumbles on this link seem to tell a pretty good story.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTr01.htm

17 hours ago, General Tso said:

Just his ratings from rookie year till now.

2018 - 2022

• DEF (OVR): 57.0, 60.6, 47.9, 50.4, 79.0
  • RDEF: 54.9, 69.2, 59.4, 69.1, 56.5
  • TACK: 56.8, 52.1, 61.5, 77.3, 81.7
  • PRSH: 71.0, 61.5, 41.8, 61.5, 69.7
  • COV: 55.4, 52.2, 44.4, 37,5, 88.1

Missed Tackles: 66/(413 + 131 Assists) = 13.8% (PFF has 10.8 but it might just be how they measure it. In fairness, those numbers have declined (18 in rookie year, 7 last year and 9 in 2021). 

79.3% Completion against with a QB score of 105.1 against (82.1 in 2022, 104.8 in 2021), 11 TD's against, 5 INT's and 18 PBU's. 

Jamaal Williams reacts to some of his highlights during the season. Towards the end he's talking about a TD celebration with Ragnow and says he'll definitely be doing more celebrating with Ragnow in the future. Sounds like he believes he will be back with Detroit. 

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Jalen Ramsey tweeted out some love to Jared Goff and ARSB and said he tried to help us get in the playoffs but he's not going to discuss his future. And finished with "We shall see". 

Micah Parsons then took a shot at the city of Detroit. 

I don't see Brad Holmes giving up the draft capital needed to get Jalen Ramsey.  This draft class is really deep in quality CBs.  We are not one DB or one player away from a NFC Championship/Super Bowl.  This draft will give us the chance to complete the "core" of a team that will be a consistent playoff contender for 4-5 years. 

The best way to keep Micah Parsons quiet:  Go deeper into the playoffs than he has been.  Then say:  Welcome to Detroit!

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't see Brad Holmes giving up the draft capital needed to get Jalen Ramsey.  This draft class is really deep in quality CBs.  We are not one DB or one player away from a NFC Championship/Super Bowl.  This draft will give us the chance to complete the "core" of a team that will be a consistent playoff contender for 4-5 years. 

The best way to keep Micah Parsons quiet:  Go deeper into the playoffs than he has been.  Then say:  Welcome to Detroit!

I don't know if I would believe that, based on what we've seen this past year, we could arguably be in the NFCCG mix. Philadelphia and SF are definitely contenders. Dallas should also be. 

Outside of that, I absolutely think we can/should be in contention for the division. If we won the division (and all else stayed equal)

Wildcard: vs New York Giants @ Home > We handled the Giants in our regular season matchup. We improved over the course of that time. If we had won 2 of our games during that 1-6 stretch (going 3-4 instead), this is where we would have been. I can't imagine that we wouldn't have done the same thing to the Giants in part 2.

Divisional: @ San Francisco > This would have been a tight matchup. However, they only beat the Cowboys 19-12. We were running 30+/game. With an improved defense, we had a shot to take them on. 

Conference: @Philadelphia > We just barely lost to the Eagles in week 1. We probably don't win this game but we'd make it a close one. 

All in all, the Conference game is probably as far as we go with last year's roster (and sneaking out 2 extra wins earlier on). Everything changes year to year but I have to imagine that we can be in that same mix with improvements on D and progression on the offense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We aren't making a deep run into the playoffs with Michael Badgley as our PK, no legit #3 DT and our 2022 CBs.  

I'd disagree for this past year but you could be right moving forward. 

We'd have been in the playoffs 110% if we beat the Eagles week 1, Campbell didn't goof up against Minnesota and/or we had the 31st ranked defense instead of the 32nd against Seattle. 

• Like 1