Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

Just now, sparky151 said:

yes, several rounds ago

oh I don't know if it's allowed then because (even though he's like 1mil) it's potentially cap manipulation (ie you pay a fat bonus, then flip for value from eating cap in bonus)

Oh. 

He's not likely to make our roster after we added Tashaun Gipson. Jacksonville seems to be collecting former Seminoles so it seemed like a good spot for him. 

He didn't get a signing bonus and is on vet min so there's no cap manipulation angle here.

If it's not allowed then Jacksonville may get him on waivers in August or September. 

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

oh I don't know if it's allowed then because (even though he's like 1mil) it's potentially cap manipulation (ie you pay a fat bonus, then flip for value from eating cap in bonus)

Just now, sparky151 said:

Oh. 

He's not likely to make our roster after we added Tashaun Gipson. Jacksonville seems to be collecting former Seminoles so it seemed like a good spot for him. 

He didn't get a signing bonus and is on vet min so there's no cap manipulation angle here.

If it's not allowed then Jacksonville may get him on waivers in August or September. 

It's pretty clear in the guidelines

Players you are NOT PERMITTED to trade.

• Players that would put your current or following year’s salary cap in the negative

• Signed Exclusive Rights Free Agents - ERFA

• Tagged Players (prior to tender offer sheet deadline)

• Signed Restricted Free Agents - RFA

• Players acquired through tendered offer sheets.

• Players acquired through free agency - UFA, UDFA, Waiver Wire

The concept for these restrictions are based on the CBA section, “under the good faith rule”.

• Like 1

Ok, that's clear enough. 

Those rules don't exist in real life so tag and trades are legal in the NFL but I can see the potential for abuse in TCMD. In this case we were doing Joyner and the Jags a favor helping him find a landing spot since we added a better player at his position later once that player's price had dropped. 

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ok, that's clear enough. 

Those rules don't exist in real life so tag and trades are legal in the NFL but I can see the potential for abuse in TCMD. In this case we were doing Joyner and the Jags a favor helping him find a landing spot since we added a better player at his position later once that player's price had dropped. 

I agree the process IRL is different.  TCMD also has players getting signed with next to 0 in signing bonus which is more unlikely vs IRL.

I think in future with altered APY and signing bonus asking prices, this could be re-visited.  Signing bonus probably needs to be a higher % of what the player is asking in APY.  something that starts around 30% signing bonus, that drops slightly with each round of UFA. 

A player asking for $20M APY on a 5 year contract is typically getting a decent % of that in signing bonus/other guarantees

• Like 1