Ben Johnson staying in Detroit

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I love how Sheila and the Lions seem to be taking care of their own now.

Not only does it work out well for Ben Johnson, but it shows loyalty to the entire coaching staff and others around the league. The Lions take care of their people. All of this positive press will only help the organization. Kudos to Sheila. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
48 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/16/panthers-hc-search-david-tepper-ben-johnson-agent-league-meetings/?itm_source=parsely-api

For Ben Johnson's sake, I hope he runs away from this one. I wouldn't trust Tepper at all.

I agree with you on that.  Personally, I think Ben Johnson might be best served by be staying in Detroit for one more year.  He got exposed a little but this year and might still have some important lessons to learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/16/panthers-hc-search-david-tepper-ben-johnson-agent-league-meetings/?itm_source=parsely-api

For Ben Johnson's sake, I hope he runs away from this one. I wouldn't trust Tepper at all.

If Ben turned them down last season, I’m not sure what he can see or hear to make the job more appealing this season. I mean, we saw how they treated Frank Reich. We’ve heard the dysfunction with the Bryce Young pick who they are now stuck with and no 1st this season. We saw how they treated Todd Wash & Duce Staley (who went there to be closer to his sick mother). Outside of a massive monster contract, I don’t see it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Ben Johnson should have his pick of jobs and Carolina should be crossed off of that list. He should go to Atlanta or LAC imo.

Yeah, my money is on LAC. I just hope to God he is not going to Carolina. That place is a **** show right now.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I think Chargers are his team. I don’t like it. 

I've been saying this for months. It just seems to make a lot of sense.

You'd have someone considered a top talent at QB in Herbert; there's pieces on the OL (Slater); deep WR talent; core defensive players (Bosa, Mack, D. James). The Chargers should be a much better team than they have been. It's a tough division but they should have been better than they have been. 

• Like 3

More than anything, I really hope we have someone working closely with Ben Johnson and ready to take over.  I sort of expected Deuce to be that guy before he left for Carolina given he had AHC designation.  I hope we can keep a similar style of offense and not change too much so that our offense can have some continuity without Johnson here next year.  Its one of my bigger fears with Goff that we sign him to an extension and then the new OC turns him back into the Goff under Lynn. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

More than anything, I really hope we have someone working closely with Ben Johnson and ready to take over.  I sort of expected Deuce to be that guy before he left for Carolina given he had AHC designation.  I hope we can keep a similar style of offense and not change too much so that our offense can have some continuity without Johnson here next year.  Its one of my bigger fears with Goff that we sign him to an extension and then the new OC turns him back into the Goff under Lynn. 

I wonder what the likelihood Deuce comes back for the OC position?

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I actually had been thinking that.. if we have the playoffs and division locked up by week 17, I would like to see Tanner Engstrand get some time as the play-caller alongside Johnson. Have him in his ear and offering perspectives on stuff. It's one thing to work alongside someone but it's a different story when you're having to do it in real time. It'd be the same thought process as letting a rookie year Patrick Mahomes start at the end of the year. 

50 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I actually had been thinking that.. if we have the playoffs and division locked up by week 17, I would like to see Tanner Engstrand get some time as the play-caller alongside Johnson. Have him in his ear and offering perspectives on stuff. It's one thing to work alongside someone but it's a different story when you're having to do it in real time. It'd be the same thought process as letting a rookie year Patrick Mahomes start at the end of the year. 

Agreed, and that may also come along with Hendon Hooker getting a look in week 18 as well. 

Honestly don't think it will be as big of a loss as some do. He's good but there are a ton of talented OC imo. Given the rules of NFL it's harder to find a good DC because the rules favor the offense

I would look at following guys:

Joe Brady - Buf

Mike Bobo- GA - this guy reminds me of Ben a but from presnap movements 

Internally:

Antwan Randle El