Was paying Dak like a top 5 QB a mistake?

DaBoys

2 hours ago, cromagnum said:

I know this won’t happen but this is what I would do if I were running the Cowboys I would go all in for a Super Bowl. Go trade for Aaron Rodgers and sign a top receiver to play with Lamb. I would bring back Pollard and Schulz if possible to have as many weapons as possible. Defense is good enough to win I believe. As long as Dak is QB this team will never win a superbowl.

And how do you suppose we go about doing that??? Rogers would cost us about 18 mil in CAP. Now what are you going to do with Dak?   You going to cut him? That would cost us 89 mil in dead CAP space thus tying up 107 mil in CAP space in 2 players. Maybe post June first cut? That would be dead CAP hit of around 48 mil this tying up 66 mil in CAP space in 2 players. 

now, how are going to get back under the CAP? 

see what I’m gettin at here? What plan would you take to implement this dream of yours to “buy” a Super Bowl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Despite being clearly the NFL's best quarterback, Mahomes will likely never be the highest-paid player at his position. Even next season, when Mahomes’ salary cap hit rises over 20 percent to $46.79 million, he’ll still be third behind Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott, and could drop further down if the aforementioned names sign bigger deals.

What a damn botch job Daks contract is. Huge cap hits, short term, no trade, etc.. 

I can’t believe people in here celebrated this deal, and then accuse guys like us of rooting against our team. 

• Like 2

The biggest thing holding this team back right now is Daks contract. Whether it’s signing guys in free agency, retaining our own guys, or looking into another QB; the contract is the killer.

I can’t stand hearing how Dak led us to a 12-5 record. He didn’t. He led us to an 8-4 record. And 1-1 in the playoffs. We were 4-1 WITHOUT Dak Prescott last year and the one loss was an absolute nail biter to the eventual conference champs. Can we improve on Cooper Rush? Sure. Do we NEED Dak to win games? Absolutely not, and hell no at his price tag. There’s about 20-25 QBs in the league that could have gone 8-4 with this defense and running game, and ALL of them are cheaper than Dak. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

The biggest thing holding this team back right now is Daks contract. Whether it’s signing guys in free agency, retaining our own guys, or looking into another QB; the contract is the killer.

I can’t stand hearing how Dak led us to a 12-5 record. He didn’t. He led us to an 8-4 record. And 1-1 in the playoffs. We were 4-1 WITHOUT Dak Prescott last year and the one loss was an absolute nail biter to the eventual conference champs. Can we improve on Cooper Rush? Sure. Do we NEED Dak to win games? Absolutely not, and hell no at his price tag. There’s about 20-25 QBs in the league that could have gone 8-4 with this defense and running game, and ALL of them are cheaper than Dak. 

But…but….he’s accurate and #1 offense and stuff….

• Like 1

Dak is the Region-beta paradox. If you walk all distances under a mile, and drive any distance that’s over a mile; you’ll always travel 2 miles faster than you travel 1.

Say you wanted to get a better job but you never quit your current job because it wasn’t that bad. Maybe you liked your co-workers or your boss was nice, whatever. There are better jobs out there but yours isn’t bad so you stay. Or you’re in a relationship which isn’t that great but you don’t call it off because it isn’t that bad either. They aren’t cheating on you or abusing you in any way. Not the best partner for you, but not horrible so you stay. Both of these people would benefit if their respective situations were worse, because that would force them to take action.

Kind of like how we used to make fun of the Eagles because Dak Prescott was better than Carson Wentz. Unfortunately, the Eagles were able to benefit because they were in a worse QB situation that forced them to take action. They drafted Hurts, and then traded Wentz for a 1st and a 3rd. They used the 3rd to move up and grab DeVonta Smith, and traded the 1st for AJ Brown. They won a SB, gutted their entire roster and went back to a SB with a completely different team all in the same time we have been stuck with Dak. The Region-beta paradox. Sometimes being in a bad situation is better than being in an okay situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Dak is the Region-beta paradox. If you walk all distances under a mile, and drive any distance that’s over a mile; you’ll always travel 2 miles faster than you travel 1.

Say you wanted to get a better job but you never quit your current job because it wasn’t that bad. Maybe you liked your co-workers or your boss was nice, whatever. There are better jobs out there but yours isn’t bad so you stay. Or you’re in a relationship which isn’t that great but you don’t call it off because it isn’t that bad either. They aren’t cheating on you or abusing you in any way. Not the best partner for you, but not horrible so you stay. Both of these people would benefit if their respective situations were worse, because that would force them to take action.

Kind of like how we used to make fun of the Eagles because Dak Prescott was better than Carson Wentz. Unfortunately, the Eagles were able to benefit because they were in a worse QB situation that forced them to take action. They drafted Hurts, and then traded Wentz for a 1st and a 3rd. They used the 3rd to move up and grab DeVonta Smith, and traded the 1st for AJ Brown. They won a SB, gutted their entire roster and went back to a SB with a completely different team all in the same time we have been stuck with Dak. The Region-beta paradox. Sometimes being in a bad situation is better than being in an okay situation. 

This is why you and I have always agreed that football purgatory is worse than tanking because you never allow yourself an opportunity to improve. You’re just maintaining the status quo.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am a fan of Dak and have made my feelings known how Kellen Moores lack of playcalling ability (good design, but setting a predictable trend never works) and lack of aggressive play at receiver and TE were biggrr factors in his INTs this year than Dak himself.

I also feel very strongly based on his track record and the film that this is one outlier season, Dak usually plays smarter than we saw this season.

that all said, paying him such a huge deal was a mistake. Not because of thr numbers. But the years. It made these last two years of that deal seem like a handcuff holding one arm of the offense back. It was a bad deal that jerry and co were forced into because the alternative, of going back to search for a new QB .. a process that IS NOT AS EASY TO DO AS IT IS IN MADDEN GAMES ... with a talented roster made less sense for the well being of the team than just giving in to Daks contractual desires. Imagine having let the man go on the tag that year and walk the next year. Where would this team be? Look at the long list of draft failures and flounders over the last 6, 5, 4, 3 years. Not just first round guys either but the perceived sleepers too. And free agent failures of veterans given a second chance. Hlw angry would you all be then if we wasted a first rounder on a QB that didnt work out when we could have paid Dak in a year he tossed that 37 scores for a totally different team, while this team finished with 5 wins for a second or dare i say third straight season behind, say, Drew Lock or an accurate but oft injured Tua? Sure, maybe we get a Herbert. But more than likely you get a Wilson. The odds are very stacked in favor of a bust than a stud. So what then? Ths same fans would still be  complaining "why didnt we sigh Dak? Stupid jerry."

so yes, the numbers were bad. And in hindsight it didnt work out the way we all wish. but the alternative was far worse.

On 2/19/2023 at 12:19 PM, plan9misfit said:

This is why you and I have always agreed that football purgatory is worse than tanking because you never allow yourself an opportunity to improve. You’re just maintaining the status quo.

Which I get the conundrum. But nothing has stopped Dallas from looking for Daks replacement. And going into the final year of his contract, they should be doubling down on that idea. You can very easily take a gamble on the third or fourth best passer in this draft and have him sit behind Dak this season, maybe even another on a tag situation, and let that kid learn the ropes, learn tobe a pro, and see if he can put it together in year 3.

The alternative of wasting any opportunity with young core guys like Parsons and Diggs and Lamb and Pollard just in fhe hope you draft a good replacement for Dak basically guarantees that those guys want to walk at the end of their rookie deal. Smarter move was not to let Dak walk and pray you draft Justin Herbert, but keep Dak, keep winning, and pray you develop a Justin Herbert to take over soon. If you go 5-12, draft a passer, then go 5-12, 4-13, and then 6-11...you really think Parsons wants to resign? Diggs? You think Quinn doesnt take that HC gig he was offered? You think even LVE signs a two year deal to come back if we won all of 6 games behind a third year flop at QB?

Well, let’s put it this way… we now know the comparative value for Dak when Jimmy G signed with the raiders for 3 years/$72m.  So, yeah, Dak absolutely fleeced Jerry and Stephen.  Hell, I’d happily take Baker Mayfield and his $8.5M over Dak.  Just in case anyone is interested Dak will now count $36m against the 2025 cap (13% of the salary cap)… this wouldnt be a huge except for the fact that Dak will be an Unrestricted Free Agent that year.  All I know is that as an organization, we need to be prepared to pivot away from Prescott by 2025.  That means drafting a legit QBs this year or next year.

6 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Which I get the conundrum. But nothing has stopped Dallas from looking for Daks replacement. And going into the final year of his contract, they should be doubling down on that idea. You can very easily take a gamble on the third or fourth best passer in this draft and have him sit behind Dak this season, maybe even another on a tag situation, and let that kid learn the ropes, learn tobe a pro, and see if he can put it together in year 3.

The alternative of wasting any opportunity with young core guys like Parsons and Diggs and Lamb and Pollard just in fhe hope you draft a good replacement for Dak basically guarantees that those guys want to walk at the end of their rookie deal. Smarter move was not to let Dak walk and pray you draft Justin Herbert, but keep Dak, keep winning, and pray you develop a Justin Herbert to take over soon. If you go 5-12, draft a passer, then go 5-12, 4-13, and then 6-11...you really think Parsons wants to resign? Diggs? You think Quinn doesnt take that HC gig he was offered? You think even LVE signs a two year deal to come back if we won all of 6 games behind a third year flop at QB?

Locking Dak up to that ridiculous deal, by design, eliminates all opportunity to look for his replacement. 

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

Locking Dak up to that ridiculous deal, by design, eliminates all opportunity to look for his replacement. 

Not really. A rookie deal regardless of position is the same thing by selection. In Sam Bradford and before era, sure. But not with this rookie wage scale. If the team had a chance and pulled the trigger on Hurts in 2020 in the second round, or even tried Lock at the en d of the first in 2019(which would have been a bust) it would not have hurt our cap any more than any kther player we selected at that draft slot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Not really. A rookie deal regardless of position is the same thing by selection. In Sam Bradford and before era, sure. But not with this rookie wage scale. If the team had a chance and pulled the trigger on Hurts in 2020 in the second round, or even tried Lock at the en d of the first in 2019(which would have been a bust) it would not have hurt our cap any more than any kther player we selected at that draft slot.

It’s not remotely close to the same, and you know it. You don’t pay a QB that much money and then draft his replacement. The optics of the move make it impossible to do because you destroy the confidence of the player and divide the locker room.