Was paying Dak like a top 5 QB a mistake?

DaBoys

20 hours ago, DaBoys said:

He said Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow for sure and then he said it’s a matter of preference. So he thinks there is a chance Dak is the 4th best quarterback in the league. We are so far off in negotiations it’s pointless to debate. 

Thinking Dak is the 4th best QB in the league is genuinely one of the most insane takes I've seen on here lol

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

So then you agree that Dak is at best fringe top 10 but most likely in the 12-15 range?

To be fair this stuff does vary year to year. Like a year ago you might’ve had Kyler and Carr in the same range as Dak but that feels unfair to Prescott now IMO. On the other hand people may have balked to see Cousins or Goff ranked ahead of Dak last year but maybe that’s not quite as unreasonable in the present. Generalizing here.

This isn’t a defense of Dak as much as a reassertion that there is a really small group of transcendent players at the QB position right now, it’s pretty obvious who they are, and we may be splitting hairs ordering the second and third tiers.

For the record I think Dak on his best day can and does perform like the 6th or 7th-ish best QB in the game, but his clunkers are so stinky and so frequent of late that you can probably list 10, maybe 12 guys of ahead of him without really stretching it. And, yeah… that’s not good enough.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 3

If there is only a small group of transcendent QBs in the league, then there should only be a small group of QBs getting paid that way. Analytics has shown over and over again that the worst thing a franchise can do is give an elite QB contract to a decent QB. 

Drafting Zeke in the first round may be enough to stop us from drafting Bijon Robinson at 26th overall because we learned from our mistakes. But here we are broke as hell about to give Dak an extension. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If there is only a small group of transcendent QBs in the league, then there should only be a small group of QBs getting paid that way. Analytics has shown over and over again that the worst thing a franchise can do is give an elite QB contract to a decent QB. 

Drafting Zeke in the first round may be enough to stop us from drafting Bijon Robinson at 26th overall because we learned from our mistakes. But here we are broke as hell about to give Dak an extension. 

While smart organizations will search for ways to get rid of the player as soon as they can, rather than extending him to reduce the cap hit. A mediocre player who isn’t good enough to win a championship doesn’t get better with a longer contract. Sadly, the Clampett’s are too stupid to understand this.

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We did screw up with Zeke but not necessarily by drafting him in the first.  I wouldn’t hesitate to draft Robinson if he is the BPA.  The issue with Zeke came from overuse and probably should not have been extended when he held out.  We still had him under contract for 2 years.  And we could have franchised him for his 6th year.  As it turns out, we probably should have ignored his hold out and made him play out contract or trade him when his value was still really high.

If Robinson is a highly productive runner… I’m okay with that for 5 years.

37 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

We did screw up with Zeke but not necessarily by drafting him in the first.  I wouldn’t hesitate to draft Robinson if he is the BPA.  The issue with Zeke came from overuse and probably should not have been extended when he held out.  We still had him under contract for 2 years.  And we could have franchised him for his 6th year.  As it turns out, we probably should have ignored his hold out and made him play out contract or trade him when his value was still really high.

If Robinson is a highly productive runner… I’m okay with that for 5 years.

If Robinson is there I would draft him and immediately upgrade the OLINE. Cut Zeke...let Pollard walk etc...but do not resign him after 5 years. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

While smart organizations will search for ways to get rid of the player as soon as they can, rather than extending him to reduce the cap hit. A mediocre player who isn’t good enough to win a championship doesn’t get better with a longer contract. Sadly, the Clampett’s are too stupid to understand this.

I feel like people explain this stuff to you and then you just peace out.. only to return to the same school of thought that the most basic of casuals runs with while acting like you have some greater degree of intelligence than the people that support the team that you’re upset and emotional with (and yet you keep coming back for more — make it make sense)

Imagine thinking this team is held back and crippled with a roster that clearly and obviously has been among the conference’s best the last two years. Imagine thinking this team is doomed and inept with back to back 12+ win seasons. Imagine if a couple of things went differently in the Niners game maybe the team is in the championship game.. maybe the SB. Imagine thinking a small thing here or that didn’t bounce the right way is the reason for saying a team/roster is doomed to fail. It’s comically over emotional and ridiculous. The difference with Philly is that they played a team that literally could not even get a QB on the field that could throw a pass.. talk about something bouncing the right way. And yet you don’t care about context literally at all. All you care about is that they made it to the SB and our team did not. I’ve said it before, but the all or nothing mindset around here is stupid.

After week one you said the team likely wouldn’t win many games. You seem to confuse being a doomer/ pessimist with being a realist. Not sure if you know this, but.. pessimist =\= realist. Just because the team wasn’t literally the best team in the entire league this doesn’t need to leave you in your usual shambles where you think everything has been mismanaged and everything is hopeless. I’m (again) confused why you even keep tuning in. If this team is such a disgrace to you why do you even associate? You know you’re not bound by anything to do so, right? 

Edited by NoFlyZone

11 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Whatever makes you miserable humans more miserable I guess. Seems to be the goal. 

just the opposite.  There is serenity in acceptance.  I accept that Dak is overpaid and very limited.  Therefore I was not incredibly disappointed when he shat the bed again in the playoffs.  I expected it.  Again, serenity in acceptance.  Try it.

• Like 2