Was paying Dak like a top 5 QB a mistake?

DaBoys

5 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Dak is an ok QB that can help you win games. He has fantastic games but too inconsistent.

The one thing he was good at was not turning the ball over and that ship sailed this year. You also had a decent running threat with him but since his injury, he is more reluctant.

I don't think paying his was the problem, it's how much we are paying him.

Had it been closer to $30 million a year, I wouldn't have as much of an issue.

I don’t care what the salary is. The moment you pay a guy is the moment you’re tethered to him for years, which means you’re also tethered to mediocrity for years.

Not acceptable.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I don’t care what the salary is. The moment you pay a guy is the moment you’re tethered to him for years, which means you’re also tethered to mediocrity for years.

Not acceptable.

That's where there's a disagreement. Dak isn't mediocre. He just isn't worth his contract. A top 12 to 15 QB isn't mediocre. There's better for sure. Problem is paying a top 12 to 15 top 5 money.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

No rationalization, I can easily admit Dak was very bad last night. 

Dito for sure and if Dak plays like th at ever play off game in his career going forward then for sure it was a mistake and to this point right now it’s a mistake.  

Personally I don’t think Dak is grossly over paid.  As now yes his salary is top 3 next year but I doubt very much even if we do zip that it remains top 5 I guess three more passing him this off season and we also will restructure bringing him down to 7-10 level which I say is in line

And yes I was upset the way Dak was handled. Jones should have handled things much better and could have signed him for 3-4 M less a year which I think would have been perfect

Edited by quiller

8 hours ago, CAPJ said:

That's where there's a disagreement. Dak isn't mediocre. He just isn't worth his contract. A top 12 to 15 QB isn't mediocre. There's better for sure. Problem is paying a top 12 to 15 top 5 money.

A top 15 QB is the definition of mediocre. Not having a signature win to speak of in SEVEN YEARS screams mediocre. Not being worth a top contract = mediocre. Having a LOSING RECORD against teams with winning records screams below average. Leading the league in interceptions even though you missed 5 games screams below average.

Look, I get it. You want him to be good. I want him to be good, too. He’s a great guy, a great leader, and has great intangibles. He’s literally the kind of guy whom you want to marry your sister. But you know what he isn’t good at? Winning important games.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

A top 15 QB is the definition of mediocre. Not having a signature win to speak of in SEVEN YEARS screams mediocre. Not being worth a top contract = mediocre. Having a LOSING RECORD against teams with winning records screams below average. Leading the league in interceptions even though you missed 5 games screams below average.

Look, I get it. You want him to be good. I want him to be good, too. He’s a great guy, a great leader, and has great intangibles. He’s literally the kind of guy whom you want to marry your sister. But you know what he isn’t good at? Winning important games.

I would say a top 15 QB is average. Maybe it's just semantics but when I think below average. 

Not being worth a top contract doesn't mean someone is mediocre. The top contracts should be given to the top guys. The interceptions in one season also doesn't mean someone is mediocre. Dak typically protects the ball.

Either way. He is overpaid and doesn't use his legs nearly as much anymore.

We can win with Dak. Biggest problem is the team thought Dak was worth that contract and have him overcome pieces on the roster which he can't do. Elite QBs do that.

Something I feel like pointing out. From 2018 until facing Fangio in 2021 vs post Fangio 2021 I feel like Dak hasn't been able to readjust himself in many ways.

MQgApqu.png

Kb9tYWM.png

*Note the after statistics also include the game where Dak threw for 5 TD and no picks against the Eagles backups in 2018 so it's even a bit more skewed. 

He definitely runs less, turns the ball over more, throws a bit more shallow. Think y'all would benefit from a burner WR quite a bit to stretch the field.

8 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I would say a top 15 QB is average. Maybe it's just semantics but when I think below average. 

Not being worth a top contract doesn't mean someone is mediocre. The top contracts should be given to the top guys. The interceptions in one season also doesn't mean someone is mediocre. Dak typically protects the ball.

Either way. He is overpaid and doesn't use his legs nearly as much anymore.

We can win with Dak. Biggest problem is the team thought Dak was worth that contract and have him overcome pieces on the roster which he can't do. Elite QBs do that.

It’s been 7 years. If we haven’t won yet and the issues with poor performances in big games are the same, there’s no indication that anything will change moving forward. A tiger doesn’t change its stripes.

9 hours ago, CAPJ said:

The interceptions in one season also doesn't mean someone is mediocre. Dak typically protects the ball.

I don’t think you can say this anymore. If it was just 1 or 2 games then fine, but he spent a whole year throwing picks. From week 1 against TB to week 20 against the 49ers and every game in between. That’s too large of a sample size to throw under the rug. 

If you spent 6 years not smoking meth, and then smoked meth once, I probably wouldn’t call you a meth head based on the 6 years prior. But if you go 6 years sober and then spend an entire year leading the league in smoking meth, despite not having as many meth smoking opportunities as most guys, I’m probably not going to defer to your 6 sober years when describing you. You’re a meth head at that point. 

Edited by DaBoys

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Something I feel like pointing out. From 2018 until facing Fangio in 2021 vs post Fangio 2021 I feel like Dak hasn't been able to readjust himself in many ways.

MQgApqu.png

Kb9tYWM.png

*Note the after statistics also include the game where Dak threw for 5 TD and no picks against the Eagles backups in 2018 so it's even a bit more skewed. 

He definitely runs less, turns the ball over more, throws a bit more shallow. Think y'all would benefit from a burner WR quite a bit to stretch the field.

This is a great point. Dak used to protect the ball but he doesn’t anymore. The book was put out on Dak that game. Don’t blitz him. Don’t play man. Rush 3 or 4 and drop into zone. Dak will give you the ball. 

Dak has played 25 games including the playoffs and the Broncos game. He has thrown 24 picks in those 25 games. So how can you say Dak protects the ball after the last 25 games? Is that not a large enough sample size? That’s not including fumbles and 3 and outs(which I believe we led the league in)

5 hours ago, Danger said:

It’s not like Dak can would be able to hit the burner WR in stride for a TD. The ball would be woefully under thrown. 

Dak is damaged goods. Pre-injury Dak was Jalen Hurts before Jalen Hurts. A shame because he use to terrorize teams with his legs. Trade Dak for picks and draft a new QB in the next 2 years.

Edited by Tony7188

A frustrated Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons said the 49ers defense made more plays than they did. But he also added that giving up just one touchdown and getting Deebo and McCaffrey in check should have been enough to win, especially if they don’t have the two picks”

https://clutchpoints.com/cowboys-news-micah-parsons-shot-dak-prescott-led-offense-loss-49ers-divisional-round?amp=1