What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

2 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Just one year ago Rodgers trade value was multiple firsts and even more. Somehow one year with a 'bad' year with a thumb injury, rookie receivers, and instability on the o line dropped his value to a 3rd round pick or something. The market has evolved quite a bit since 2009.

One year ago Rodgers was coming off of back to back mvps and had GB by the short and curlys. That's why they had to give him an absolutely ludicrous contract FOR A GUY WHO WAS TALKING ABOUT RETIREMENT LAST YEAR.  All the while they had no confidence that Love could even play in this league.  If GB believed in Love, Rodgers would have been trades 2 years ago when they could maximize his value. Now they are stuck where they either declare Love a sunk cost and move on, or pick up his 5th year option and give him a year or 2 to see if he's the guy.  But that only works by trading Rodgers or hoping he retires.  All of that combined with the Jets being the only girl at the dance means that the return is going to be MUCH less than what GB was offered 2 years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

What evidence is there of that, exactly? 

The confidence our FO has going with him.

Genuine glowing praise from respected teammates.

Various media personalities with a pedigree (Martz, Warner) saying it.

Watching the little bit of game evidence we have.

Practice reports from local media.

Nobody on here is going to care about anything until they see it for themselves in real games. And that's fine. I'm going to enjoy it when that realization sweeps across the forum though later this fall :)

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

One year ago Rodgers was coming off of back to back mvps and had GB by the short and curlys. That's why they had to give him an absolutely ludicrous contract FOR A GUY WHO WAS TALKING ABOUT RETIREMENT LAST YEAR.  All the while they had no confidence that Love could even play in this league.  If GB believed in Love, Rodgers would have been trades 2 years ago when they could maximize his value. Now they are stuck where they either declare Love a sunk cost and move on, or pick up his 5th year option and give him a year or 2 to see if he's the guy.  But that only works by trading Rodgers or hoping he retires.  All of that combined with the Jets being the only girl at the dance means that the return is going to be MUCH less than what GB was offered 2 years ago.

Love wasn't as ready last off-season as he is this one. That's the difference.

What is ludicrous about the contract? How has it hampered GB?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Love wasn't as ready last off-season as he is this one. That's the difference.

What is ludicrous about the contract? How has it hampered GB?

A $99M cap hit if cut, $40M if traded, $50M if he retires.  Is pretty ludicrous for what you knew was probably going to only really be a 1 or 2 year player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A $99M cap hit if cut, $40M if traded, $50M if he retires.  Is pretty ludicrous for what you knew was probably going to only really be a 1 or 2 year player.

What if he's a 3-5 year player though and that was always the actual likely result?

Edited by incognito_man

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The confidence our FO has going with him.

Genuine glowing praise from respected teammates.

Various media personalities with a pedigree (Martz, Warner) saying it.

Watching the little bit of game evidence we have.

Practice reports from local media.

Nobody on here is going to care about anything until they see it for themselves in real games. And that's fine. I'm going to enjoy it when that realization sweeps across the forum though later this fall :)

Okay, so by "much better than anyone here thinks," how much better are we talking? Like, better than Goff and Cousins?

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Okay, so by "much better than anyone here thinks," how much better are we talking? Like, better than Goff and Cousins?

Those are actually decent comps I think for Love this year. I think he'll be in that range. I'd peg his ceiling around 10 and his floor around 20. Both of which were better than Rodgers last year.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Didn't Aaron say he wanted to play for Miami this past season?

They just freed up $18mil in cap space this morning...

Miami has been my sleeper team (along with SF, but that's not happening). Would be exciting to get them involved :)

Yeah with what draft comp? 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Didn't Aaron say he wanted to play for Miami this past season?

They just freed up $18mil in cap space this morning...

Miami has been my sleeper team (along with SF, but that's not happening). Would be exciting to get them involved :)

Would have to be a 3-team trade as they have no 1st. Sending Tua elsewhere. Would be nice to have two division rivals involved.