2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

If you all remember we signed him last year as a UDFA. I think at best he’s a practice squad guy. He’s 6’1, 215 and is a SS/dime LB type. For the Defenders he was mostly a back up & special teams guy. He started just 2 games out of 7 played.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

There’s not really much out there as far as free agent TE. I would bring in Cameron Brate to compete where I think he could do pretty well in EB’s offense. 

I don’t think they will. Losing Rogers is not losing your starter. If Logan had gotten hurt then they’d sign a guy like Brate but, they have Logan as the starter, Bates as the blocking #2 TE, Turner developing & hopefully flashing more as a pure receiving TE & Curtis Hodges will be the 4th TE who flashed last preseason and is a huge target at 6’8, 250 pounds.

15 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I guess we’ll see but I rather have Brate than Hodges. Only flashes Hodges had was with a trench coat. 🤣

The issue with signing Brate is that it means Cole Turner doesn’t play. So, it’s not about having Hodges on the roster or not, it’s about having Cole Turner get those reps as a pass catching TE. He needs to play, we have to see what we have in him & we need to see more of Bates as well.

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The issue with signing Brate is that it means Cole Turner doesn’t play. So, it’s not about having Hodges on the roster or not, it’s about having Cole Turner get those reps as a pass catching TE. He needs to play, we have to see what we have in him & we need to see more of Bates as well.

I mean, I don't think Turner NEEDS to play. He's a dart throw. We can always sign a Vet TE and if Turner beats him out then he gets the playing time otherwise I don't see why its so dire to play Turner? He's a JAG. 

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I don't think Turner NEEDS to play. He's a dart throw. We can always sign a Vet TE and if Turner beats him out then he gets the playing time otherwise I don't see why its so dire to play Turner? He's a JAG. 

We need to know if he's a JAG or not. He needs reps. If Turner doesn't show much this preseason or gets hurt again this preseason then I’d hope they'd sign a FA TE during the preseason/like a week before the seasonn. It makes sense to have Logan and especially our young TEs - Bates, Turner & Hodges to take a lot of reps in training camp & preseason to see what we have & then make a determination on if we need to sign a FA TE after we've seen the other 3.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I think some team will take a shot but at what cost. Very talented but gets hurt a lot. We rarely take shots like this one. I just think he would be such a weapon in EB’s offense. 

He's probably going home to the Dolphins but we never take advantage of opportunities like this under this regime.