2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

On 4/12/2023 at 10:53 AM, Troublez said:

This is kind of where I am at - but I would offer Chase rather than Sweat. Both are athletically gifted - but Sweat is the more mature adult in the room, and has better production.

Chase currently doesn’t have much of a value other than upside. He’s coming off a year and a half where he only played a few games because of knee injury. I don’t think any team would take Chase for a pro bowl player unless we’re also throwing in a 1st round draft which I wouldn’t do.

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Chase currently doesn’t have much of a value other than upside. He’s coming off a year and a half where he only played a few games because of knee injury. I don’t think any team would take Chase for a pro bowl player unless we’re also throwing in a 1st round draft which I wouldn’t do.

Well we may have to give one of them b/c of future contract issues. Which one would you consider for a long term. I think a Sweat trade proposal would offer would certainly fetch a good deal and you have to consider it if we don't sign Sweat to a deal. That means we are keeping Young. But we may not extend Young. I think he looked okay the last two games of the season. It's a tough decision. I would love to keep both. So maybe we should wait until 2023 season for now.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:53 AM, Troublez said:

This is kind of where I am at - but I would offer Chase rather than Sweat. Both are athletically gifted - but Sweat is the more mature adult in the room, and has better production.

Based on what exactly? What has Chase done that's made him seem immature? And Sweat is 3 years older 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Based on what exactly? What has Chase done that's made him seem immature? And Sweat is 3 years older 

I'll toss out coming out and saying he and Sweat were gonna break the D E sack record. Keep your head down , your mouth shut and let your game speak for you . I knew that was bad news when I read it !

6 hours ago, 4209 said:

So basically it’s a non-answer. I’ve really gotten tired of listening to Rivera just as I did of Shanahan towards the end of his tenure here.

IMO not giving Chase the 5th year option makes no sense. It’s cheaper than franchising him next off-season. You don’t want to have Chase & Sweat both up as free agents at the same time next off-season & Chase just turned 24 this past Friday.

He also has the most untapped potential of any player on our team still. I know people don’t like hearing that bc he only wowed us some late in his rookie season & then didn’t in his 2nd season plus he tore his ACL & patella tendon in his knee and hasn’t wowed anyone since, but it’s true.

I think you have to do your due diligence here in evaluating Chase before you give up on him.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I'll toss out coming out and saying he and Sweat were gonna break the D E sack record. Keep your head down , your mouth shut and let your game speak for you . I knew that was bad news when I read it !

@lavar703 and I are on the same page on this I believe. I think we all can agree that Chase saying they’d break the sack record  looked bad & he shouldn’t have said that or said he was getting his money when asked why he missed the 2021 voluntary work outs but, he was only 22 at time. I chalked up the 2021 off-season & the beginning of that season as a learning experience for Chase.

I guess we’ll see this spring, summer & fall if he learned anything.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

From what we know behind the scenes from what the local beats have said, it's been an issue. 

Every time anyone questions them on twitter when they bring this up they have nothing to answer with. Look, I get it, if he’s been doing it then it needs to be addressed but they never have anything to go off of when this gets brought up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

1) Voted team captain and ignored 100% of OTAs, only player on team that didn't participate

2) Played outside of scheme religiously, ignoring team first directives

3) Says dumb stuff

4) Does dumb stuff, like training with Von Miller during an off-season of recovery.... optics are horrible

5) Loses college eligibility for flying GF to rose bowl on someone elses dime

6) Refuses to return to team / games despite being cleared medically

Edited by Troublez
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Troublez said:

1) Voted team captain and ignored 100% of OTAs, only player on team that didn't participate

3) Says dumb stuff

4) Does dumb stuff, like training with Von Miller during an off-season of recovery.... optics are horrible

2. The entire DL saved for Allen was apparently free lancing.

3. Says dumb stuff= what? 

4. The Von Miller story was debunked multiple times. 

5. he didn’t lose college eligibility. He was suspended for a game and the NCAA got raked over the coals for it.

6. He didn’t refuse to return. I have no idea where you even got this from? 

You can have your first one but outside of that the rest are very silly. 

6 hours ago, Troublez said:

3) Says dumb stuff

Old news. He was 20 years old & someone he knows bought his GF a plane ticket to attend the Rose Bowl! Oh the humanity! Lock him up & throw away the key! Lmao 😂 

Live in the present. All of those things you mentioned happened when he was younger & immature. I think he's learned from his mistakes.

Working out with Von Miller is a bad thing? Yeah, why work out with a hall of fame pass rusher who had the same injury as Chase did early in his career.

Chase was with the team the whole year. He didn't play when medically cleared bc he wasn't ready. You don't want a player to play if they aren’t 100% coming back from an injury bc it's bad for them & the team.

So, what you are saying is you want a player to return to the field when they’re not mentally & physically ready like RG3 in 2013?

That worked out well for him & the franchise... I'm glad we didn't force him back if he wasn't ready bc that rarely - if ever - ends well.

Oh, and then there’s this, it's called the present:

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

2. The entire DL saved for Allen was apparently free lancing.

3. Says dumb stuff= what? 

4. The Von Miller story was debunked multiple times. 

5. he didn’t lose college eligibility. He was suspended for a game and the NCAA got raked over the coals for it.

6. He didn’t refuse to return. I have no idea where you even got this from? 

You can have your first one but outside of that the rest are very silly. 

Lavar, Chase did say he was about getting his money when reporters asked him why he was at OTAs in 2021 & yes it was a very dumb answer. He & Sweat also said they were going to break the NFL sack record in 2021 which was stupid to say.

The good thing is that I think he's learned a lot from those mistakes.