2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

My impression had always been that Kyle wanted Mac Jones, but he eventually yielded to the scouting group, which wanted Lance. Is there different info out there now?

I always thought that whole situation was weird. Mac was much more in line with the QBs Kyle has succeeded with, but there was absolutely no reason they needed to move up like that to get him. 

Either way, it sure looks like 2013 all over again for Kyle. Great call, @lavar703. I enjoy it a lot.

I agree that Mac seemed more Kyle at the time, but that was just the assumption.  After it happened, I never thought for a moment that San Fran made a move using that much draft capital to draft a qb that the head coach didn't want.  I don't think anyone overrode Kyle Shanahan on the QB position.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

I agree that Mac seemed more Kyle at the time, but that was just the assumption.  After it happened, I never thought for a moment that San Fran made a move using that much draft capital to draft a qb that the head coach didn't want.  I don't think anyone overrode Kyle Shanahan on the QB position.

I think Kyle fell in love with Lance’s potential as a QB, and knew he had Jimmy G in the house for a year or 2 while Lance hopefully developed into the QB people think he could possibly be in the way that Alex Smith played in 2017 while Mahomes sat as a rookie and developed behind him. Then, the Chiefs traded Smith away for a starting CB & a 3rd-round pick while Mahomes became the Chiefs starting QB in his 2nd year.

• 2 weeks later...

Love to give him a shot to make the team. 

I would like him to fight for the 3rd qb. As the were saying that SH is familiar with the RPO System we would run I think MW could run that as well. Not sure how CB will fit in that scheme, changes would have to be made to a different scheme. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

On 5/1/2023 at 7:08 PM, Umbaugh21 said:

Give me Myles Jack or Kwon Alexander. 

They’d be backups. Keep in mind that about 80% of the game we play with 5 DB's whether that's a slot corner or a Buffalo nickel/3rd safety on most traditional run downs (1st & 2nd downs) unless it's short yardage. If it's an obvious run down, like 2nd/3rd short/goaline, that's why you have the 240-245 pound David Mayo to bring in. 

Myles Jack or Kwon Alexander are not taking Jamin Davis’s job from him & they're not going to be the Mike over Cody Barton either given the year he’s coming off of as Seattle’s Mike last year:

136 tackles, 2 sacks & 2 ints at 26 years old

Edited by turtle28

I would sign this guy in heart beat but he’s so injury prone which is probably the main reason they’re not resigning him. I could imagine he would be some weapon in EB’s offense. Nice replacement for McKissic. Definitely wouldn’t sign him at 9m. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 4:49 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would like him to fight for the 3rd qb. As the were saying that SH is familiar with the RPO System we would run I think MW could run that as well. Not sure how CB will fit in that scheme, changes would have to be made to a different scheme. 

Some team will probably give up a late round draft pick for him.  Bad sign that they give up on him so quick only to replace him with another project.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

He needs to be in a zone-read offense. I'm not even sure he's consistent enough of a passer right now to do RPO on the level he needs to. Without the run element to help his passing at this point will have him as a 3rd string QB.

If he's cut, I would sign him as a developmental 3rd qb for Biniemy to develop.

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would sign this guy in heart beat but he’s so injury prone which is probably the main reason they’re not resigning him. I could imagine he would be some weapon in EB’s offense. Nice replacement for McKissic. Definitely wouldn’t sign him at 9m. 

They'd have to restructure vets or cut some to make room & other than the walking injury Roullier they haven't shown a willingness to do that yet. I would restructure Curtis, Fuller & Logan to make room but I don’t think they will.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They'd have to restructure vets or cut some to make room & other than the walking injury Roullier they haven't shown a willingness to do that yet. I would restructure Curtis, Fuller & Logan to make room but I don’t think they will.

You talking paycuts? I don’t think they can restructure otherwise can they

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You talking paycuts? I don’t think they can restructure otherwise can they

Why not? Of course that involves giving them another year or two extension but right now we only have a few mil in cap space, we can't acquire Cook unless we trade Tez or something to open to space.

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Camp fodder. Hard to believe he beats out Lucas to be our swing OT & we drafted Braden Daniels who's going to be on the roster. If Jones-Smith did beat out Lucas though to be our swing tackle, it would save us $3 mil in cap space.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Camp fodder. Hard to believe he beats out Lucas to be our swing OT & we drafted Braden Daniels who's going to be on the roster. If Jones-Smith did beat out Lucas though to be our swing tackle, it would save us $3 mil in cap space.

Probably just a body but he must be a fighter just to hang on for 5 years after being undrafted. Big guy 6'7" 345 .

• Like 1