2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He's probably going home to the Dolphins but we never take advantage of opportunities like this under this regime. 

How would he fit in our RB room? I honestly think that position is pretty crowded. It's kinda the same feeling I have with DeAndre Hopkins being available. For the price they will command, they wouldn't be high enough on the depth chart to make it worth it. 

46 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

How would he fit in our RB room? I honestly think that position is pretty crowded. It's kinda the same feeling I have with DeAndre Hopkins being available. For the price they will command, they wouldn't be high enough on the depth chart to make it worth it. 

Because he's outrageously better than anything we have at the position. Like, its not even remotely close. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Because he's outrageously better than anything we have at the position. Like, its not even remotely close. 

I respectfully disagree. Dalvin Cook is declining and the fall from grace was steep enough that the Vikings could not find any trade partners. He would not be a starter here, as we have 2 improving young RBs and a rookie RB in tow. RBs shelf life is already the shortest of any position and undoubtedly the cost to add a declining one is not a smart business decision. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I respectfully disagree. Dalvin Cook is declining and the fall from grace was steep enough that the Vikings could not find any trade partners. He would not be a starter here, as we have 2 improving young RBs and a rookie RB in tow. RBs shelf life is already the shortest of any position and undoubtedly the cost to add a declining one is not a smart business decision. 

Declining? He’s ran for over 1K yards 4 seasons in a row. Averaged 4.5 YPC and scored 8 TDs last year. Both of our RBs combined only ran for 150 yards more but had 90 more carries than Cook. He’s only 27 and had 39 catches for nearly 300 yards and two more TDs. He’s one of the best RBs in football. The idea that he would be a back up here is pure craziness. 

If you extrapolate the stats and give him the 354 carries that Gibson and Robinson got he would’ve had nearly 1600 yards on his average ypc and 11 TDs. What we have and what he is are two different worlds as far as RB ability go. And I’m a Brian Robinson fanboy. Loved him at Alabama. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

Totally agree he would elevate everything.  We haven't had a RB that could completely take over a game since Portis, and Cook is pretty similar but can catch.  We love our guys, but to pretend that Dalvin Cook wouldn't start over Brian Robinson is pretty insane. He is a 27 year old future hall of famer. 

That said, I can't imagine he doesnt go home to Miami.  It makes too much sense, and is a need in the offense over Mostert.  

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Declining? He’s ran for over 1K yards 4 seasons in a row. Averaged 4.5 YPC and scored 8 TDs last year. Both of our RBs combined only ran for 150 yards more but had 90 more carries than Cook. He’s only 27 and had 39 catches for nearly 300 yards and two more TDs. He’s one of the best RBs in football. The idea that he would be a back up here is pure craziness. 

If you extrapolate the stats and give him the 354 carries that Gibson and Robinson got he would’ve had nearly 1600 yards on his average ypc and 11 TDs. What we have and what he is are two different worlds as far as RB ability go. And I’m a Brian Robinson fanboy. Loved him at Alabama. 

Again, I think cost has to be factored in. I'm not saying that Cook isn't talented. I'm saying that what we have now is better than a high priced RB who is most likely near the tail end of their career. (Semi-opinion, but mostly based off career longevity for the position) I personally would not add him based off contract demands alone. Again, you have to ask yourself, if we are calling him one of the best RBs in the NFL, why was there no trade market? Why is the team he has been on his whole career just releasing him before the start of the season? 

If he were to come cheap, I'm 1000% behind it, I just don't think that is going to happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Plus we get a couple more if we cut norwell.

Extend Curl!

From what I read, based on how well the other players have looked and of course they’ll see how the pre-season games go. I think it’s going to depend on how much he’s willing to accept. We’ll see how this plays out. 

• Like 1