Demeco Ryans to Texans (6 years)

Manny/Patrick

Just now, ET80 said:

Oh so we’re going back to Baltimore QBs then? 😚

Sorry, unlike your city, mine retained the rights and branding. 

Also, this is perhaps the biggest low point in my fandom, arguing about logistics from a 1996 lawsuit.

• Like 2

I'm excited to be keeping a more vigilant eye on the Texans again. It was clearly quickly in 2022 that the team just was not building anything special with Lovie Smith. Would be great if they had that #1 overall selection right about now. Alas, they have some fresh blood in the building who just came from a consistent winner. Ryan is obviously familiar with Houston, and as an outsider I'm really excited to see what he'll do. He did such a remarkable job with the 49ers defense, even better than Saleh in my mind. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to lure some veterans like Jimmie Ward and Al-Shaair to the Texans. Maybe Charles Omenihu too. I don't know their cap situation though. It's a great day to be a Texans fan. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:
3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh so we’re going back to Baltimore QBs then? 😚

Sorry, unlike your city, mine retained the rights and branding. 

Great, I get to leave 35-3 vs Buffalo to someone else. Have fun walking around with The Drive!

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Also, this is perhaps the biggest low point in my fandom, arguing about logistics from a 1996 lawsuit.

Nothing can bring me down today. This time next year? Who knows.

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to lure some veterans like Jimmie Ward and Al-Shaair to the Texans. Maybe Charles Omenihu too. I don't know their cap situation though. 

I see Ward as priority number 1, a DB who can work with both Derek Stingley and Jalen Pitre to model the secondary accordingly.

Charles Omenihu would be interesting - originally drafted by the Texans, he was part of the Jack Easterby purge, so I don’t know how he feels towards the building. The Easterby saga is effectively over so it’s possible that there’s a reunion.

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

. It was clearly quickly in 2022 that the team just was not building anything special with Lovie Smith.

It was clear Lovie Smith was a one year temp hire because the team was in shambles. There is no way the Texans or fans thought Lovie was a long term solution. I even said in the Lovie thread this is a one year placeholder hire for whoever their real coach is next year. It wouldn’t have been fair for their real coach to inherit that disaster for 2022. Lovie was good to change the culture and mindset for a year, he gets NFL Premium Head Coaching money, works out for both parties. 

Now the Texans are in better shape. They are in position to draft one of the Top 2 QBs of the draft. And have a young defense Ryans can keep building. This team isn’t gonna make the playoffs this year but 6-11 this year, and a playoff berth in 2024 is highly possible. 

The Texans are on the right path. So are the Jaguars. I think the Titans are on a downward trajectory. Jury is out on the Colts if they are moving up or down.  

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if they went after Jimmy G as a bridge for the heir apparent triggerman. He'd look good in a Texans uniform. If Klay Kubiak is hired as OC, then all the better. 

There is a lot of connection there - Ryans no doubt, but Nick Caserio was instrumental in drafting Garropolo in New England.

It would allow for the Texans to potentially punt on QB at 2, selecting Will Anderson instead and taking the remainder of Anthony Richardson or Will Levis at 12 instead. 

Options are on the table today.

• Like 3