When Jerry Speaks

textaz03

Where does not drafting a 1st round QB since 1989 rank on the list?

Of the last 20 SB appearing QBs, 10 of them were drafted in the 1st round. 

5 of the 10 QBs that weren’t 1st rounders were Tom Brady. Then you have Jalen Hurts(2nd), JimmyG(2nd), Nick Foles and Russ x2(3rd). 

So 10 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 3 third rounders, and 5 Tom Bradys make up the last 20 SB appearing QBs. 

Of the last 24 superbowls only 5 of them didn’t include a QB drafted in the first round.

In that same time span, dallas has only drafted a QB in the first 3 rounds once: Quincy Carter back in 2001. 

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

5 of the 10 QBs that weren’t 1st rounders were Tom Brady. Then you have Jalen Hurts(2nd), JimmyG(2nd), Nick Foles and Russ x2(3rd). 

So 10 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 3 third rounders, and 5 Tom Bradys make up the last 20 SB appearing QBs. 

Of the last 24 superbowls only 5 of them didn’t include a QB drafted in the first round.

In that same time span, dallas has only drafted a QB in the first 3 rounds once: Quincy Carter back in 2001. 

@DaBoys, I don’t know this for CERTAIN but I’m pretty that if you take the same list and cross referenced how many of them were being paid in the top 10 for QBs, my guess is that it’s less than 25%.

8 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

@DaBoys, I don’t know this for CERTAIN but I’m pretty that if you take the same list and cross referenced how many of them were being paid in the top 10 for QBs, my guess is that it’s less than 25%.

But, we’ve got a long term strategy, unlike those other teams which actually made the Super Bowl. We’re relevant every year, and that’s what really matters. Amirite???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

You said it best a while ago.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was as follows: If you want to be elite draft elite.  Dallas has not received the memo.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Certainly from ~96-05 the lack of quality investment in a QB was a major problem. But Tony and Dak have given us a far better shot at a Super Bowl during the times since than a lot of first round QBs have done for their teams.

And the most likely first round pick QB to have become a Dallas Cowboy is Paxton Lynch, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say, if they expect to catch lightning in a bottle for a third time and plan to avoid making a big investment post-Dak — that would make the list. 

47 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Certainly from ~96-05 the lack of quality investment in a QB was a major problem. But Tony and Dak have given us a far better shot at a Super Bowl during the times since than a lot of first round QBs have done for their teams.

And the most likely first round pick QB to have become a Dallas Cowboy is Paxton Lynch, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say, if they expect to catch lightning in a bottle for a third time and plan to avoid making a big investment post-Dak — that would make the list. 

In 2017 we went 9-7. Dak had the worst season of his career. He started all 16 games, he barely cracked the 3,000 yard mark. He threw for 22 TDs and 13 picks. He had a career low 5.74 ANY/A. It was only his 2nd season and in many peoples eyes wasn’t a proven commodity yet coming off a pretty terrible year.

Yet we drafted LVE over Lamar Jackson. A QB room consisting of Dak and LJ would be better for this franchise than LVE(though he has been a decent line backer.) Lamar won the MVP his 2nd year in the league. He may not be a Joe Burrow or Pat Mahomes but at pick 19 you take a chance with a guy like that. 

On 2/3/2023 at 6:38 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Clarifying this… he definitely cares, a lot. Now, is he incapable of guiding a consistently top notch franchise and doesn’t realize it? Probably.

I think Jerry does realize what he needs to do, but he won’t do it. That makes it worse.

Instead of owning up to it and admitting that the Eagles F.O. has run circles around him, he lies and says they went “all in”. A clown show.

Edited by Tony7188

6 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I think Jerry does realize what he needs to do, but he won’t do it. That makes it worse.

Instead of owning up to it and admitting that the Eagles F.O. has run circles around him, he lies and says they went “all in”. A clown show.

What does Jerry realize he needs to do? Give up the reigns entirely? Obviously that’s a non-starter. It would be for me, too, if I were him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

In 2017 we went 9-7. Dak had the worst season of his career. He started all 16 games, he barely cracked the 3,000 yard mark. He threw for 22 TDs and 13 picks. He had a career low 5.74 ANY/A. It was only his 2nd season and in many peoples eyes wasn’t a proven commodity yet coming off a pretty terrible year.

Yet we drafted LVE over Lamar Jackson. A QB room consisting of Dak and LJ would be better for this franchise than LVE(though he has been a decent line backer.) Lamar won the MVP his 2nd year in the league. He may not be a Joe Burrow or Pat Mahomes but at pick 19 you take a chance with a guy like that. 

It’s easy to re-litigate in hindsight. But taking a QB in the first round (particularly one that was passed up by nearly every other team as well), while you have a QB that you like on a rookie contract, is not an obvious decision at all. And you can easily end up with a Paxton Lynch instead.

So no, I don’t view that as one of the major problems this franchise has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It’s easy to re-litigate in hindsight. But taking a QB in the first round (particularly one that was passed up by nearly every other team as well), while you have a QB that you like on a rookie contract, is not an obvious decision at all. And you can easily end up with a Paxton Lynch instead.

So no, I don’t view that as one of the major problems this franchise has.

Well, the cowboys are committed to drafting a QB this year, and every year there after according to recent Jerryisms. 

The Eagles drafted Hurts while they had Wentz. The 49ers drafted Lance while they had JimmyG, and drafted Purdy while they had Lance. 

Maybe not drafting one in the first round every year, but not drafting one every year or two is certainly a problem. It’s what good franchises do. 

Only drafting 5 QBs since 2000 is an obvious problem with the franchise imo. 

• Like 1

Not drafting a QB, cough cough Dinucci, is the least of our problems.

I've said this in multiple posts. This team is NOT in rebuild mode. Two consecutive 12 win seasons does not constitute a rebuild.

You have 2 days to go with this team:

1. Keep Dak, play to HIS strengths, ball control, short 8 to 10 yard passes, get the ball out quickly, big possession receivers, grind it out power running game.

2. Trade Dak, get a QB that can utilize the players we have ie: Lamb, Gallup, Hilton, etc. And go compete.

Regarding option 1, if Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson could win SBs that way, so can we.

With a few key defensive additions DL, LB, CB, and 1 more solid OL, big possession WR, we can compete.

Option 2 would require a set of brass balls, which our FO doesn't have, another solid OL, and some tweaking on the defense.

But with a QB that can sling it, it defense wouldn't have to carry us so much.

I really think with Dan Quinn coming back, this team has a shot IF they realize how close they are and make the necessary moves to put us in one of  those positions.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What does Jerry realize he needs to do? Give up the reigns entirely? Obviously that’s a non-starter. It would be for me, too, if I were him.

I think we all know Jerry should give up the reigns of being a GM. That job is more than being a good drafter. It’s making the right moves in F.A. and knowing how to make trades and sign players to good contracts, along with managing the cap. Also hiring the right HC to lead the team is crucial to success in the NFL.

If you were terrible at a job for over 20 years, I doubt it would be a non-starter for you. But it is for Jerry, and that says a lot.

• 1 year later...

Soooo it’s been a year since this thread was posted. Time to bring it back up.

When Jerry Speaks 2.0 what these interview clips from today!!

on being all in

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1763719651240849739?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

More about being all in

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1763720827466334355?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

On Daks contract status

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1763721347262226432?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

on a since of entitlement from players and culture

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1763721856945639835?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

Being reluctant to draft a QB at 24

https://x.com/jonmachota/status/1763722280465469728?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...