Vikings to hire Brian Flores as DC

NYRaider

Just now, jrry32 said:

While I'm a big fan of Flores, doesn't his defense play a lot of man coverage and run a lot of C-0? 

Historically, yes. Cover 1 and 3 as well. Definitely not afraid to blitz, aggressive playcaller. 

The Vikings are going to need to make some investments in their defense to maximize Flores’ coaching.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I don't really understand the lateral move at this point. Flores should be getting another shot as head coach somewhere. But he'll be a huge asset to the Vikings.

He should no question be a head coach, but obviously that did not happen.  My guess is if he has success this year and they do great on D and as a team he will leave and get a chance to be a HC in 1-2 years.  Surprised he left Pittsburgh and Tomlin but he was only a LB coach there, and they must be giving him a lot of control potentially of who is brought in and drafted on D for him to make the move.  

I would assume the Cardinals hire Lou Anarumo, or at least they should.

PS if the Colts hire Jeff Saturday as their head coach that is just sad.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I don't really understand the lateral move at this point. Flores should be getting another shot as head coach somewhere. But he'll be a huge asset to the Vikings.

Chance to build up a defense and work with a stable HC and offense, in pittsburgh he's not the play caller and definitely not moving up there.

He should be a head coach but the NFL gonna NFL (jeff saturday) hoping this works out for them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

it's not a lateral move. Flores was not the coordinator with the Steelers; moreso LBs coach and assistant head coach. So in fact, this is a promotion for him.

• Like 3

As a Vikings fan, these are my thoughts on the hire.

It's a homerun hire. Evero would also have been a homerun hire, and probably an easier transition since he runs his version of the Fangio scheme.

Flores is going to be a build from the ground up operation. When you are the 31st ranked defense, there is no better time to initiate that reset.

I think the Vikings needed someone like Flores as well. Opposites attract, and his personality will be the yin to Kevin O'Connell's yang. Flores doesn't have to focus on managing relationships now with both sides of the ball. He can focus on what he does best, which is defense. I'm sure he'll have heavy say in personnel and I expect quite a bite of movement on that front this offseason. 

I like that Flores is up for this challenge. He seems like a coach that isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, isn't afraid of hard work, isn't afraid of grinding. The Vikings defense needs that, they need his toughness. 

I'm not expecting miracles for next year. Vikings still need better players, but at least now they'll have a coordinator who will dictate to the defense, and not the other way around. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, a lot of cover 0 and a lot of tite fronts. I think he's a good hire, but it's not an obvious fit with the personnel there right now. 

Agreed, but realistically no one is a good fit for the current personnel. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Hopefully he gets the investment it needs.

You would have to think, Flores turning down the Cards second interview and the Broncos 1st interview, got assurances from Kwesi and the Vikings that they are planning on investing in what he needs.

I can't imagine him taking the job if they weren't all on the same page.

From the Locked on NFL podcast about the Flores hire.

Apparently, from the people that were down at the Senior Bowl, this was the worst kept secret in the league. According to the host, [Vikes' GM] Kwesi and Flores were attached at the hip; every time he saw one, he saw the other. "Literally, every time I saw one of them, the other was standing next to him...on the field, in the suites, in the bars at night."

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

You would have to think, Flores turning down the Cards second interview and the Broncos 1st interview, got assurances from Kwesi and the Vikings that they are planning on investing in what he needs.

I can't imagine him taking the job if they weren't all on the same page.

I’d assume within reason. This team doesn’t have the cap space to write a blank check to fix the defense and there are priorities on offense that can’t be ignored either like new deals for Jefferson and Hockenson, and what happens at Center. 

Having a late first round pick and no second round pick doesn’t help either. I think the Vikes had to get Flores comfortable with the idea that his scheme is better suited for the players under contract (which I don’t know if it is) given that he may only get a couple of new starters in FA and may otherwise rely on whatever rookies and second year guys we have (which given how little Cine, Booth and Asamoah played in the starting defense) they may as well be rookies too.