The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

I don’t know how long some have paid attention but Howie rarely ever goes into a new year drafting for the upcoming year. I mean, ever really. Even if there are holes after the draft, he’s typically getting trades or adding guys through FA. I’ve definitely read that he prefers to have the team mostly complete without adding rookies. I think it’s as if a rookie or two earn a spot its more a pleasant surprise than something he’s counting on, which is obvious bad business. Leaving any type of position open for an unproven rookie is potentially disaster. 

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

I never specified Rookie, that was your assumptions. AJ wasn't a FA, he was traded for using Philadelphia Eagles draft picks.

That's everyone's assumption when you say "draft pick".

When ESPN looks back on the 2022 NFL draft for their re-draft article in 3 years, AJ Brown will not be listed as one of the players available to draft, because he was not actually a draft pick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t know how long some have paid attention but Howie rarely ever goes into a new year drafting for the upcoming year. I mean, ever really. Even if there are holes after the draft, he’s typically getting trades or adding guys through FA. I’ve definitely read that he prefers to have the team mostly complete without adding rookies. I think it’s as if a rookie or two earn a spot its more a pleasant surprise than something he’s counting on, which is obvious bad business. Leaving any type of position open for an unproven rookie is potentially disaster. 

He does it all the time, he's just not good at it.

Barnett, Agholor, JJAW, Reagor, Miles, DeVonta all expected to play important roles as rookies. Even Dillard was expected to start heavily as a rook with Peters health woes. It's less often that he takes Sidney Jones or a Cam Jurgen for 2 years down the road.

3 hours ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Hot take... I think we take Bijan at 10 if we can't trade back few spots. I am very against taking a HB round 1 but he can do it ALL

Edit to add: I actually would really like the Bijan pick... You're going to create 1v1's vs safeties / LBers in our run scheme and if we can win those consistently, it will take our offense to a new level. Unless teams just completely load up the box which in that case, I think we have the talent outside & at the QB position to capitalize. 

Bijan is overrated as heck, and we aren't taking a RB in round 1. Just not happening LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

So Howie is great at drafting because he realizes he sucks at drafting, and therefore uses draft picks to trade for veteran players instead of college players for cheap...because he sucks at evaluating collage players....and this makes him great at drafting.

Got it.

Howie doesn't suck at drafting as a lot of you suggest. He's not some prolific drafter either, let's not sugar coat it.

Also want to keep in mind the coaching staff has a huge say in who's getting drafted probably moreso than in other organizations here. Notice how abysmal the drafting was during Doug's tenure (2018 being an exception). You can't tell me it hasn't been better the last two years.

Remember how many Pac 12 guys we were taking in 2013 and 2014 when Chip was the head coach before Howie was unfairly removed from his post?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

He does it all the time, he's just not good at it.

Barnett, Agholor, JJAW, Reagor, Miles, DeVonta all expected to play important roles as rookies. Even Dillard was expected to start heavily as a rook with Peters health woes. It's less often that he takes Sidney Jones or a Cam Jurgen for 2 years down the road.

Barnett: 2017, didn’t start one game. Graham, Curry and Long ahead of him. Good for rotation position was all but secure before him. Wasn’t going to start over them. 

Agholor: 2015, started 12, inactive for 4. J-Matt, Cooper and Huff on the team. Was easily the most talented, finished with the 7th most catches. You’d have a point here maybe but ya know, Chip Kelly. 

JJAW: 2019, started 5 games (somehow, mostly due to injury) Was buried on the depth chart. Alshon, Agholor, Desean above him. Wasn’t expected to start over them. 

Reagor: 2020, started 11 games. This was the last burp of air for the SB team. Jeffrey and Desean still on the team. Ward lead the team in receptions. This was a god awful roster. At the time he was drafted, I’m sure Howie thought he’d be in line to start, as most did. This one is good. 

Miles: 2019, started 11 games. Only had about 60 or so carries the first 8 weeks. If I recall his pass pro was atrocious. Howard, Ajayi and Sproles still on roster. Split with Howard most of the year until the end. There’s an argument but RB depth was serviceable before he was drafted going into that season. 

Devonta: 2021, started 16. No argument. Roster was trash. Howie needed an immediate impact from a WR. He gambled with the position this year. Not a great job but Smith turned out to be as expected. 

All in all, he doesn’t do it ALL the time as you suggested. He’s been on record saying the roster shouldn’t have many holes before the draft. I think that’s mostly how it’s gone. With a few exceptions you brought up. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wont be shocked if we pair up Bates and Gardner-Johnson at safety. Add Ngakou at DE. And Chark comes here cheap to play with Hurts improving on the Quez/Slot situation. 

Because- Howie Roseman.

I think all that could happen minus Bates. Wouldn't ever rule it out with Howie at GM tho. He's a wizard so... 

28 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wont be shocked if we pair up Bates and Gardner-Johnson at safety. Add Ngakou at DE. And Chark comes here cheap to play with Hurts improving on the Quez/Slot situation. 

Because- Howie Roseman.

No matter which site we are posting on, Howie is not all that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Because- Howie Roseman.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Nah…. Maybe we pay one safety a big contract, but 2 of them? Hell no. You don’t know the Eagles well enough if you think that is something Howie would do. 

• Like 2

Saw Slay retweet this. 

I assumed TJ Edwards would be near the top of FAs that might be back, but at like the 12-14 million per year I’ve been seeing projected for him? Yeah I just don’t think I can go that high to keep him. 

TJ had a great season behind a dominant DL (well not necessarily in the run game) and he’s worked hard to lose some weight to gain explosion and be a better player. But, how close to his ceiling do we think he is? I’d say he’s pretty close to it already. I think if he can be a top 10-20 off ball backer for some team that gets him that they would be satisfied with that. I just don’t know if he’s rangy enough of a MLB for us to pay significant money to. 

I’m not even mad either like dude should get probably the only big 3-4 year deal he’ll get in his career. It’s cool to see undrafted guys be able cash in.

Then there comes Bobby Wagner who had a great season last year as well for an uncompetitive Rams squad. He obviously went there thinking they were coming off a Super Bowl win and would be a good spot to compete for a title. Obviously that didn’t work out for him, but he is obviously aiming for the same thing (according to Schefty’s tweet) and the Eagles could need an instinctive MLB with good size. I don’t think that’s really a spot we want to entrust in a rookie or really young player. I’d rather let Nakobe take over Kyzir’s spot. Plus, it would be really cool for him to learn from an eventual HOFer like Wagner.

It would only be like a 2 year deal and not some 5 year / 50 million that the Rams signed him to last year, but it could be something that makes sense for him and the Eagles.

Also, it would be hilarious if he visits Dallas and ends up signing here.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1