The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Saw Slay retweet this. 

I assumed TJ Edwards would be near the top of FAs that might be back, but at like the 12-14 million per year I’ve been seeing projected for him? Yeah I just don’t think I can go that high to keep him. 

TJ had a great season behind a dominant DL (well not necessarily in the run game) and he’s worked hard to lose some weight to gain explosion and be a better player. But, how close to his ceiling do we think he is? I’d say he’s pretty close to it already. I think if he can be a top 10-20 off ball backer for some team that gets him that they would be satisfied with that. I just don’t know if he’s rangy enough of a MLB for us to pay significant money to. 

I’m not even mad either like dude should get probably the only big 3-4 year deal he’ll get in his career. It’s cool to see undrafted guys be able cash in.

Then there comes Bobby Wagner who had a great season last year as well for an uncompetitive Rams squad. He obviously went there thinking they were coming off a Super Bowl win and would be a good spot to compete for a title. Obviously that didn’t work out for him, but he is obviously aiming for the same thing (according to Schefty’s tweet) and the Eagles could need an instinctive MLB with good size. I don’t think that’s really a spot we want to entrust in a rookie or really young player. I’d rather let Nakobe take over Kyzir’s spot. Plus, it would be really cool for him to learn from an eventual HOFer like Wagner.

It would only be like a 2 year deal and not some 5 year / 50 million that the Rams signed him to last year, but it could be something that makes sense for him and the Eagles.

Also, it would be hilarious if he visits Dallas and ends up signing here.

I am definitely interested in Wagner but it would all depend on price tag compared to TJ. If anything Wagner just bumps TJ down the LB list a peg which is not a bad thing. Wagner would be an immediate upgrade, but I just don't see us spending big money at LB which I'd imagine he would command(even on a short deal).

20 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

If Howie can check the couch cushions, this is the time to push in. Sacrifice a year or two and add as many impact players as you can. Trade that extra 1st, whatever. 

Actually it is not, as you would be sacrificing cap space and picks for the years when Hurts extension kicks in.  Need to build the team to sustain, otherwise you end up with a 50 million a year QB and no one to help him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Actually it is not, as you would be sacrificing cap space and picks for the years when Hurts extension kicks in.  Need to build the team to sustain, otherwise you end up with a 50 million a year QB and no one to help him.

You’re looking for 5-8 years or playoffs. I’m looking for SBs. The NFC is weak. We’re a playmaker (or two) from dominating the NFC and getting back to the SB. Pieces are in place. Add a little more push it over the top. I fully understand the cap ramifications. I just don’t care. Jack it up, can’t waste this offensive unit. Every year not a SB winner is a year wasted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

You’re looking for 5-8 years or playoffs. I’m looking for SBs. The NFC is weak. We’re a playmaker (or two) from dominating the NFC and getting back to the SB. Pieces are in place. Add a little more push it over the top. I fully understand the cap ramifications. I just don’t care. Jack it up, can’t waste this offensive unit. Every year not a SB winner is a year wasted. 

Teams rarely get back to the Super Bowl, win or lose.  Chances are, the Eagles will not be back next year.

I would rather build a team that we have multiple shots at it, instead of taking 1 swing next year and then having no shot for the next 5 years.

Plus if you rob cap, take that swing, and sign Hurts, how are you affording Devonta ??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I agree. Would be foolish to think otherwise imo. We gotta attack as many times as possible with Hurts , Brown , Smith and Goedert.

I don't care what history says about previous SB teams. Just cause it happened to others doesn't mean it will happen to us. 

With 20 FAs (10 of them being starters) and about $10 million of cap space to work with before Howie's notorious reconstructed contracts, and Jalen Hurt's extension on the horizon....what big push are you guys suggesting? Who do you bring back, who do you add, what and how much draft capital do you give up? Whose contracts can you afford to take on via trade? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am definitely interested in Wagner but it would all depend on price tag compared to TJ. If anything Wagner just bumps TJ down the LB list a peg which is not a bad thing. Wagner would be an immediate upgrade, but I just don't see us spending big money at LB which I'd imagine he would command(even on a short deal).

Oh yeah it definitely depends on the price. I’m not giving a blank check to a soon to be 33 year old LB. But, if he wants to contend then one of the NFCE steaks like the Eagles or Cowboys is a good bet rather than trying his luck in the AFC. Both teams might need a LB. Maybe he could go join Gannon in Arizona if he wants to continue his NFC West tour lol.

58 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

With 20 FAs (10 of them being starters) and about $10 million of cap space to work with before Howie's notorious reconstructed contracts, and Jalen Hurt's extension on the horizon....what big push are you guys suggesting? Who do you bring back, who do you add, what and how much draft capital do you give up? Whose contracts can you afford to take on via trade? 

Howie can push it in over and over again as much as he wants.

1 hour ago, UndyTaker said:

Garnder Johnson would be priority number 1. Then I see who I can bring back on friendly deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I agree. Would be foolish to think otherwise imo. We gotta attack as many times as possible with Hurts , Brown , Smith and Goedert.

I don't care what history says about previous SB teams. Just cause it happened to others doesn't mean it will happen to us. 

But you are taking a major swing, potentially without Kelce, a new RG, and who know what the defense will look like next year.  Better to keep picks and space and build it the right way.

If you go all in, you come up empty, and then potentially ruin your chance to sign Devonta to a second contract, and not have the tools to bring some youth into the defense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

But you are taking a major swing, potentially without Kelce, a new RG, and who know what the defense will look like next year.  Better to keep picks and space and build it the right way.

If you go all in, you come up empty, and then potentially ruin your chance to sign Devonta to a second contract, and not have the tools to bring some youth into the defense.

Howie's not a moron. We can go in without butchering our future. 1 year deals go a long way, properly spaced on contract and nailing the draft. 

Sign some vets that wanna ring chase , will be unpopular but draft Bijan Robinson, a better wr3. 

Juggernaut offense and pretty sweet def still

15 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Howie's not a moron. We can go in without butchering our future. 1 year deals go a long way, properly spaced on contract and nailing the draft. 

Sign some vets that wanna ring chase , will be unpopular but draft Bijan Robinson, a better wr3. 

Juggernaut offense and pretty sweet def still

Remember how well that worked out for the Cowboys in 2020? Yeah

Y'all have short memories.