The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

Just now, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Trust me when I say this....I was one of the biggest howie haters going....he did a good job this past offseason....but I still have my doubts.  

I also have my doubts, not a single GM in the NFL is perfect, not one. 

Howie absolutely has his flaws but the proof is in the results. Some are acting as though we are the Jets, the Browns, the Raiders perennial losing franchises.

His philosophy and approach has worked. 

Every single season we all go crazy this time of year panicking over the fact ("We believe"). We will suck this year. We can't sign any FA. We don't have the cap space. We won't draft the correct players. 

Every season, Howie surprises us and puts a competitive team on the field. 2 SB participants in the past 5 years with two different QB and coaching staffs so forgive me if I'm not as worried as others. 🤷‍♂️🍺

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie absolutely has his flaws but the proof is in the results. Some are acting as though we are the Jets, the Browns, the Raiders perennial losing franchises.

Every single season we all go crazy this time of year panicking over the fact ("We believe"). We will suck this year. We can't sign any FA. We don't have the cap space. We won't draft the correct players. 

Every season, Howie surprises us and puts a competitive team on the field. 2 SB participants in the past 5 years with two different QB and coaching staffs so forgive me if I'm not as worried as others. 🤷‍♂️🍺

Ehh.....I wouldn't go this far.  He's made some major mistakes and has some bad offseasons and obviously bad drafts.  Not every offseason has been like 2017 and 2022.  Which were his two best years.  

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Nail on the head there nabbsy. 

4 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Ehh.....I wouldn't go this far.  He's made some major mistakes and has some bad offseasons and obviously bad drafts.  Not every offseason has been like 2017 and 2022.  Which were his two best years.  

The only season that truly is a success, is the one that ends as the SB Champion. Meaning every other teams GM's also failed.

However making the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years means , we had a chance. Doesn't matter the statistical odds, you can win it if your not in it. 07' Giants proved that.

Those 4 loses

Patrick Mahomes 

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson 

Drew Brees

3 of the 4, mayb even all 4 will eventually have something in common. A Gold Jacket.

Going through a lot of the pages the last couple days. Maybe collectively we take a breath and chill out a bit?

Room for everyone’s take and opinion, discuss…debate about whatever with the team. Not hard to do that without being hostile.

Or do we need to go into why getting into more personal shots isn’t an ok / tolerated thing, or are we good?

So uh, Tom Brady got a kitten…crazy, right?

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

The only season that truly is a success, is the one that ends as the SB Champion. Meaning every other teams GM's also failed.

However making the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years means , we had a chance. Doesn't matter the statistical odds, you can win it if your not in it. 07' Giants proved that.

Those 4 loses

Patrick Mahomes 

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson 

Drew Brees

3 of the 4, mayb even all 4 will eventually have something in common. A Gold Jacket.

We all know who they lost to and what they did.  I also know they backed into the playoffs in both 2018 and 2019 because a bad division.  Also 2021 was because of a stupid easy schedule down the stretch and the 7th seed being new.  But yeah, they made the playoffs those 3 years.  Someone had to.  

Howie has work to do, we’ll see.  I see a small drop off.  

Not sure we’re disagreeing.  I just see some folks in here getting mighty defensive when someone has any doubts.  

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Going through a lot of the pages the last couple days. Maybe collectively we take a breath and chill out a bit?

Room for everyone’s take and opinion, discuss…debate about whatever with the team. Not hard to do that without being hostile.

Or do we need to go into why getting into more personal shots isn’t an ok / tolerated thing, or are we good?

So uh, Tom Brady got a kitten…crazy, right?

I hope Brady doesn’t kiss the kitty like he did his kids.  

You know he’s gonna change his mind again, right.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UndyTaker said:

I say F that. We should strive for greatness every year. We should want our stadium to look like the Lakers and Celtics rafters. The Yankees, the Patriots, the Montreal Canadians or Red Wings, Barcelona, The All Blacks from Rugby.......

THIS! I want the Eagles to be one of the big franchises so bad. I agree with everything except Barcelona, man does that stadium suck. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Have all the opinions you want but when they're ridiculous like every Texans pick and trading Hurts it's just.... 🤢

If he's gonna be the best then this class is gonna be cheeks. 

Any fan saying to trade hurts should be shipped off to another fan base imo. Can't believe we're even talking about this trash.

Maybe we don't deserve elite things

Also to add to this you trade hurts you piss off our roster including AJ Brown. Guess let's ship him out too!? 

One could argue that Levis has most of the same tools as Anthony Richardson and a higher likelihood of actually realizing the potential those tools could give him.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I go by reality. Not narratives. Clearly, Howie knows how to succeed over long periods of time in the NFL. He has literally done it. Anyone arguing otherwise is lying. Reality is Howie isn't a "bad drafter". The proof of that is that he has drafted a lot of good players! The draft definitely isn't his biggest strength, and he has definitely missed on key spots he shouldn't have, but that doesn't mean he is just terrible at managing the draft.

I just don't see a reason to rehash this for the millionth time. You and others who blindly throw crap at Howie will keep doing it forever. It is what it is. You will point to specific bad moves and say "this is why Howie sucks!" while ignoring the big picture and seeing what Howie has actually accomplished. Reality is the Eagles are a top tier organization and our FO is a massive reason that is the case. There is a reason our FO has been poached over and over over the past 5+ years. Other teams want to do what the Eagles have been doing.

He hasn't had success over long periods of time. How could that be if he has gone through 4 coaches already? You don't fire coaches over successful periods, much less so called long ones.

Sustained success is what the Steelers, Andy Reid here and in KC, Pete Carroll/Sneider, Ravens/Ozzy and obviously the Patriots have or had.  He has short periods of success because he is a master of the quick turnaround, but obviously not so good on sustaining those processes.

2022 and 2017 were awesome jobs by him, no way around that. But for every 2017 we have a 2019. For every 2022 there's 2020. Oddly enough 2017 draft was awful but the FA were awesome, 2018 the other way. 

We are about to fin out if he turns the corner in 2023 or is part of the cycle that ends whit him stabbing another coach in the back.

Edited by Broadway Joe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Yes. We threw everything we had at this season. It was special no doubt. It will be the biggest what if year on this side of the 2000s. I couldn't of been more happy to have been wrong. I wouldn't be saying ish right now if it paid off. It didn't and now it puts us in a real precarious situation 

We'll get a chance to redeem ourselves soon enough. That left a bad taste in Howie's mouth I'm sure. Seems like the type that'll do everything redeem it

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh