Todd Monken Named New OC

RavensTillIDie

He wasn’t the most charismatic option. I felt Brian Angelichio seemed to give the best marriage of scheme and culture/leadership.

However I’m glad we didn’t just go with Canales because he was super culture guy and shared moralistic views with Harbaugh.

This hire of Monken tells me that we put scheme and versatility at the zenith of our offensive coordinator search.

I’m mainly glad we didn’t go from someone within the Harbaugh tree as well and actually branched out as well.

As I stated in the other threads, Georgia never really put forth a WR that had huge seasons under his tutelage, though Brock Bowers became a stud under Monken.

I also remember Browns fans complaining about OBJ and Jarvis Landry, though it’s encouraging to see that Mike Evans had his biggest season under Monken with 1500 yds.

… And on that note that leads me ultimately to the fact that this hiring could potentially boost our ability to obtain Mike Evans this offseason… especially later in the offseason.

IIRC Evans contract situation might lends itself better to a post June 1 trade than for a pre June 1st trade, as it would save the Bucs like $2.5m before and about $14.5m afterwords towards their 2023 cap. With Brady officially retired a full rebuild has to look likely. Thus Evans could be traded, but later, so his familiarity with Monken and his offense could really help in acclimating him to the offense quickly and efficiently (somewhat) later in the process- if it happens that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

He wasn’t the most charismatic option. I felt Brian Angelichio seemed to give the best marriage of scheme and culture/leadership.

However I’m glad we didn’t just go with Canales because he was super culture guy and shared moralistic views with Harbaugh.

This hire of Monken tells me that we put scheme and versatility at the zenith of our offensive coordinator search.

I’m mainly glad we didn’t go from someone within the Harbaugh tree as well and actually branched out as well.

As I stated in the other threads, Georgia never really put forth a WR that had huge seasons under his tutelage, though Brock Bowers became a stud under Monken.

I also remember Browns fans complaining about OBJ and Jarvis Landry, though it’s encouraging to see that Mike Evans had his biggest season under Monken with 1500 yds.

… And on that note that leads me ultimately to the fact that this hiring could potentially boost our ability to obtain Mike Evans this offseason… especially later in the offseason.

IIRC Evans contract situation might lends itself better to a post June 1 trade than for a pre June 1st trade, as it would save the Bucs like $2.5m before and about $14.5m afterwords towards their 2023 cap. With Brady officially retired a full rebuild has to look likely. Thus Evans could be traded, but later, so his familiarity with Monken and his offense could really help in acclimating him to the offense quickly and efficiently (somewhat) later in the process- if it happens that way.

He's only 29 too, Money isn't a major issue for him, could be our Boldin esque trade.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xmad said:

He's only 29 too, Money isn't a major issue for him, could be our Boldin esque trade.

Exactly. I’ve been high on Mike Evans as our trade target for some time now.

He just fits the identity of a Raven IMO. Dude may not be AS physical as Boldin, but his selling point since back at A&M was always his physicality and bodying dudes and high pointing balls for his QB; that and his propensity to, like Andrews, really do well in opening up for off-script plays.

Under Brady, the “off script” stuff wasn’t going to really be a thing, but with Lamar in tow, that would IMO be a perfect pairing for some big time plays, along with the on script stuff. Evans is a walking 1000 yds and with the off script stuff could health permitting be a 1300 yd type option for a couple more years with a mobile QB like Lamar IMO.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/16/report-colts-request-interview-with-tee-martin-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

The Colts have requested Ravens wide receivers coach Tee Martin to interview for their offensive coordinator job, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports.

Would be an interesting spot for Martin since Steichen is going to call his own plays. 

Placing this here since we still haven't heard anything about what Monken is going to do with his/the current positional staff. 

5 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/16/report-colts-request-interview-with-tee-martin-for-offensive-coordinator-job/

Would be an interesting spot for Martin since Steichen is going to call his own plays. 

Placing this here since we still haven't heard anything about what Monken is going to do with his/the current positional staff. 

Tee Martin would certainly be a blow to the team’s diversity pipeline, however it would absolutely be a great opportunity for him to move up and show his worth in a more trusted role for an organization.

Edited by diamondbull424