2023 Combine-Who Are You Most Curious About?

Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jartavius Martin is a really good prospect in his own right.  We only have CJGJ and Will Harris on one-year deals.  Jartavius Martin is a lot like CJGJ:  He can play slot CB or S at a high level.  Basically, he can play just about anywhere in the secondary.  We might get a bit of deja vu by taking an Illinois DB in the 3rd round.

Honestly, just draft the whole Illinois secondary at this point.

• Like 1

I was listening to the podcast below and was surprised on the feedback on Christian Gonzalez.  He was described as "not a knee cap biter"  and "sees football as a job".  It was a surprisingly negative assessment.  Personally, I see a player that turns 21 in June 2023 and has a pretty high ceiling.  He also seems to have a pretty high floor.  Has this come up any where else?

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/20/detroit-lions-podcast-guest-emory-hunt-lions-draft-talk-goff-jamo-voluntary-workouts/

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

S2 Cognition Test Results via Dov Kleiman via Bob McGinn

• Bryce Young - 98%
  • Jake Haener - 96%
  • Will Levis - 93%
  • Jaren Hall - 93%
  • Clayton Tune - 84%
  • Anthony Richardson - 79%
  • Hendon Hooker - 46%
  • CJ Stroud - 18%

TBH, I'm not familiar with the S2 test. Is it like a Wunderlic? 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

TBH, I'm not familiar with the S2 test. Is it like a Wunderlic? 

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2023/4/21/23692636/s2-cognitive-test-explained-what-it-means-2023-nfl-draft

• Perception Speed
  • Search Efficiency
  • Tracking Capacity
  • Visual Learning
  • Instinctive Learning
  • Decision Complexity
  • Distraction Control
  • Impulse Control
  • Improvisation

“They want to see how fast you can recall things and notice certain things. On one of the [questions], you had to look at six balls that they highlighted and they move all over the screen. You had to pick out the balls and highlight them. I’m like, ‘How can I focus on six balls at once?’” [Anthony Richardson]

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2023/4/21/23692636/s2-cognitive-test-explained-what-it-means-2023-nfl-draft

• Perception Speed
  • Search Efficiency
  • Tracking Capacity
  • Visual Learning
  • Instinctive Learning
  • Decision Complexity
  • Distraction Control
  • Impulse Control
  • Improvisation

Interesting. So it's more in-line with cognitive skills and less overall quotient of intelligence. Hmm. 

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is a pretty good read on Christian Gonzalez.  His RAS score of top notch and they highlight a lot of important stuff including his age.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/4/24/23694693/2023-nfl-draft-why-detroit-lions-should-select-christian-gonzalez-cornerback-oregon

Funny enough, everything that I have been hearing is that Gonzalez, while he fits the profile of a man corner, is better suited to a heavy zone scheme. On the opposite side, Witherspoon played in a zone scheme and would be better suited to playing man. Gonzalez is said to lack instincts and aggressiveness and can use his elite athleticism to make plays with everything in front of him. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Funny enough, everything that I have been hearing is that Gonzalez, while he fits the profile of a man corner, is better suited to a heavy zone scheme. On the opposite side, Witherspoon played in a zone scheme and would be better suited to playing man. Gonzalez is said to lack instincts and aggressiveness and can use his elite athleticism to make plays with everything in front of him. 

Personally, I think folks might be confusing "instincts" with experience.  He was playing as good as any CB in the country by the end of the year and that includes Devon Witherspoon.

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Personally, I think folks might be confusing "instincts" with experience.  He was playing as good as any CB in the country by the end of the year and that includes Devon Witherspoon.

• 2021 (Colorado) - Zone - 65.0 PFF (254 snaps); Man - 70.9 PFF (163 snaps); 0 INT's; 4 PBU's; 90.0 NFL QB Score
  • 2022 (Oregon) - Zone - 80.4 PFF (268 snaps); Man - 64.3 PFF (112 snaps); 4 INT's; 6 PBU's; 74.7 NFL QB Score

His best scores and production have been playing zone. 

Witherspoon

• 2021 (Illinois) - Zone - 67.6 PFF (122 snaps); Man - 62.2 PFF (182 snaps); 0 INT's; 6 PBU's; 86.9 NFL QB Score
  • 2022 (Illinois) - Zone - 90.2 PFF (86 snaps); Man - 89.8 PFF (322 snaps); 3 INT's; 14 PBU's; 25.3 NFL QB Score

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:
  • 2021 (Colorado) - Zone - 65.0 PFF (254 snaps); Man - 70.9 PFF (163 snaps); 0 INT's; 4 PBU's; 90.0 NFL QB Score
  • 2022 (Oregon) - Zone - 80.4 PFF (268 snaps); Man - 64.3 PFF (112 snaps); 4 INT's; 6 PBU's; 74.7 NFL QB Score

His best scores and production have been playing zone. 

Witherspoon

• 2021 (Illinois) - Zone - 67.6 PFF (122 snaps); Man - 62.2 PFF (182 snaps); 0 INT's; 6 PBU's; 86.9 NFL QB Score
  • 2022 (Illinois) - Zone - 90.2 PFF (86 snaps); Man - 89.8 PFF (322 snaps); 3 INT's; 14 PBU's; 25.3 NFL QB Score

Yeah, Gonzalez is no slouch, but he's never played better than Witherspoon.