2023 Combine-Who Are You Most Curious About?

Just Want A Title

The combine us coming up quickly.  Every year there are players that have a lot riding on their combine.  Some players for me:

1.  CB Devon Witherspoon:  He is CB1A/1B right now but if he is too short or too thin that could drop his rankings a bit.

2.  DT Siakii Ika:  His weight will be critical.  If he comes in at something closer to 340 and shows good movement skills, he becomes a lot more interesting (to me anyway)

3.  WR AT Perry:  He came in a little shorter than expected at 6'3" but seemed to impress in that venue after putting up good numbers in college.  His length is supposed to be really good but he will have to answer questions about his speed and change-of-direction ability

4. DL Mike Morris:  He was listed at 6'6" and 290 Lbs.  He put up good numbers this year but I wouldn't describe him as dominant.  Is he more of a 3-4 DE?  Can he be a 4-X DT?  Is he more of a Cameron Jordan-type DE?  Hopefully his combine performance will create a little more clarity about his position in the NFL

Everyone sees this pretty differently.  Who are some of the players you are curious about and what questions do they have to answer?

• Like 1

A lot of guys that can make or break their draft stock this year at the combine.  I am interested in seeing how some of the small school kids measure up like Aubrey Miller, McLendon Curtis, Tyjae Sharpe, Tim DeMorat, and Todd Centeio. 

Then also intrigued by guys with good ratings but questionable athleticism like Jack Campbell, Kaveion Merriweather, Meckhi Blackmon, Karl Brooks, and Jonah Tavai. 

Definitely some others I am missing but will have an eye on these guys for sure. 

Also any Spartans that are there like Reed. 

• Like 1

Mazi Smith is another U-M D-Lineman I am curious about with respect to the combine.  Physically, it seems like he has everything you could want in a DT.  He is big, strong and has a pretty good motor.  He has shown he is tough to move but it seems like he should be a much more disruptive.  The combine should help determine if he is more than just a run-stopping NT/DT

Honestly, the combine seems like a big deal for us. Brad Holmes has shown that he values character and versatility, yes, but he also seems to put a premium on athleticism. Guys like Hutchinson, Paschal, and Rodriguez were all pretty elite from an athleticism/testing standpoint last year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Honestly, the combine seems like a big deal for us. Brad Holmes has shown that he values character and versatility, yes, but he also seems to put a premium on athleticism. Guys like Hutchinson, Paschal, and Rodriguez were all pretty elite from an athleticism/testing standpoint last year. 

It seems like Brad Holmes values Relative Athletic Score (RAS) pretty highly for skill positions.

https://ras.football/

• Like 2

I'd say Witherspoon/Gonzalez are two key targets for me. If either one shows elite athleticism along with their production/traits, that certainly could boost their stock for the #6 position. Same with Tyree Wilson - if he's an absolute freak that could bump him up into the top 5. 

Anthony Richardson is another big one - not for us but because if he just crushes the combine, he could vault himself up into contention as a top 5 pick. 

I'm very interested in Rashee Rice and Roschon Johnson for the Lions as mid-round picks, so it'll be interested to see how they do. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd say Witherspoon/Gonzalez are two key targets for me. If either one shows elite athleticism along with their production/traits, that certainly could boost their stock for the #6 position. Same with Tyree Wilson - if he's an absolute freak that could bump him up into the top 5. 

Anthony Richardson is another big one - not for us but because if he just crushes the combine, he could vault himself up into contention as a top 5 pick. 

I'm very interested in Rashee Rice and Roschon Johnson for the Lions as mid-round picks, so it'll be interested to see how they do. 

I read that Roschon Johnson runs a legit 4.4.  Most folks see him going in Round 3 right now but he could move into Round 2 with a good combine.  One RB that is still flying under the radar:  Kendre Miller.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I read that Roschon Johnson runs a legit 4.4.  Most folks see him going in Round 3 right now but he could move into Round 2 with a good combine.  One RB that is still flying under the radar:  Kendre Miller.

Agreed. He could be interesting. 

I was kind of surprised that Karl Brooks didn't get a combine invitation.  He isn't the biggest DT but could probably add a little weight.  Some folks have described him as explosive.  He seemed pretty quick off the snap and displayed a good motor at the Senior Bowl.  I guess his pro day and private workouts will become a lot more important.

• Like 2

For me, the combine is more so to see the intangibles (how the players have trained since the end of the season, how they interact with other players/coaches, how they handle themselves). I don't necessarily look out for one or two players but to see who rises to the challenge and who falters when it gets kicked up a notch. I like hearing about the interviews between teams and players. I'm excited. 

I have my worksheet with players combine numbers (and I include pro days too) since maybe 2010? No sooner than 2011. There's a few hundred guys at each position.

It's interesting to see some guys jump out athletically - Maxx Crosby is someone that jumped off the page with his numbers. John Cominsky had been intriguing (I seem to remember picking him for a FFMD session his rookie year). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I didn't see all the interviews yet, but reportedly, Dan Campbell said he and the team interviewed 30 prospects so far and only 4 or 5 of them have the "it factor" they are looking for. Doesn't seem too impressed by this draft class. Mildly disappointing. 

Maybe there will be a bunch of trades for next year then? I’d much rather them wait to get their guys to fit their culture and what they are doing then to take players for the sake of taking players. That’s not very exciting though.