2023 Combine-Who Are You Most Curious About?

Just Want A Title

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

A number of LBs nailed. 

Nolan Smith put up a 4.39 forty with a 1.52 10-yard split, 41.5" vertical and a 10'6" broad jump.  However, at 6'2" an 238 LBS is is hard to project him as a full-time EDGE/DE.  He could be in the mix at 18 or maybe a little later with a trade-back from 18.

Trent Simpson's number were really good as expected.  Combined with his production, he could and should be in consideration for the Lions pick at 18

Owen Pappoe showed had a 4.39 forty and 1.52 split but more of an off-the ball LB.  He isn't quite as explosive as Nolan Smith but that is rare speed for a LB that shows on tape.  He might get pushed into the 3rd round but could go in the late 2d round

Smith has the tape to back it up.  With the success of Parsons and Reddick I would be surprised if he isn’t getting too 10 consideration. I go a step further and say I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up being above Anderson on some boards. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Can't believe how light Forbes weighed in at. 

Forbes coming in at 166 Lbs has to be the lowest DB weight I can remember.  Witherspoon coming in at 5'11 and 183 is about what was expected.  Joey Port Jr had some really good measurables:  10" hands, 34-inch arms and a legit 6'2".  The 3-cone and shuttle drills will be crucial for Joey Porter Jr.

Christian Gonzalez measured about as expected.  His 40 time, 3-cone and shuttle drills should validate his movement skills.

Edited by Just Want A Title

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Forbes coming in at 166 Lbs has to be the lowest DB weight I can remember.  Witherspoon coming in at 5'11 and 183 is about what was expected.  Joey Port Jr had some really good measurables:  10" hands, 34-inch arms and a legit 6'2".  The 3-cone and shuttle drills will be crucial for Joey Porter Jr.

Christian Gonzalez measured about as expected.  His 40 time, 3-cone and shuttle drills should validate his movement skills.

I can't even take his 40 time seriously at 166. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

DJ Turner has tied for fastest 40 since 2003 (for a DB?) at 4.26.

Wild. 

Kalon Barnes ran a 4.23 in 22 and Woolen ran a 4.26 last year. CJ2K ran a 4.24 in 08 and John Ross ran a 4.22 in 2017. Turner would be tied for 4th in the history of modern “official times” 40’s. Ben Herbert showing out 

13 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Kalon Barnes ran a 4.23 in 22 and Woolen ran a 4.26 last year. CJ2K ran a 4.24 in 08 and John Ross ran a 4.22 in 2017. Turner would be tied for 4th in the history of modern “official times” 40’s. Ben Herbert showing out 

40-times are only one piece of the puzzle.  DJ Turner may have run 4.26 at the combine but I don't think his tape matched that speed consistently.  Christian Gonzalez is having a really good combine and has separated himself from Devon Witherspoon a bit.  Devon Witherspoon is going to have to really show out at his pro day get back in the mix to be selected at #6.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

40-times are only one piece of the puzzle.  DJ Turner may have run 4.26 at the combine but I don't think his tape matched that speed consistently.  Christian Gonzalez is having a really good combine and has separated himself from Devon Witherspoon a bit.  Devon Witherspoon is going to have to really show out at his pro day get back in the mix to be selected at #6.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting otherwise. Gonzalez has been the #1 corner on my board for a long while now. Everything he showed at the combine was expected. This corner class is incredibly deep. 

Witherspoon injured his hamstring. Not a serious injury and not going to drop him. 

I love the hyperbole that every guy who does well "worked his way into the first round". Daniel Jeremiah just told Rich Eisen 3 TEs will go first round. Just stop. Only 31 first Rd picks. Not everyone is going round one or is suddenly the top guy at their position.

Like Dan Campbell said, they scout off of game tape, not what they do at the combine in pajamas. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Witherspoon injured his hamstring. Not a serious injury and not going to drop him. 

I love the hyperbole that every guy who does well "worked his way into the first round". Daniel Jeremiah just told Rich Eisen 3 TEs will go first round. Just stop. Only 31 first Rd picks. Not everyone is going round one or is suddenly the top guy at their position.

Like Dan Campbell said, they scout off of game tape, not what they do at the combine in pajamas. 

I know the Maryland CBs showed out at the combine but their tape is kind of inconsistent.  They are better athletes than football players right now.  

I do think the Devon Witherspoon does have something to prove with his physical workouts.  His height isn't a big deal but his 31" arm length is a slight concern.  He needs to validate that his movement skills and reaction/diagnosing are elite.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, BigC421/ said:

Yeah I didn't have it in front of me at the time of posting. Some wild times this year.