2023 Combine-Who Are You Most Curious About?

Just Want A Title

I don't have NFL Network and been busy with kids being sick. Just catching up on some of the workouts. Watched Darnell Washington's workout. Unreal. That arm length and his one handed catch were unreal. He has the tools but probably is still raw as a receiver as he hasn't had the reps. 

He's probably going as TE2 no later than TE3. 

15 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

OT Broderick Jones his having a good combine also.  He has been play LT for Georgia for two years I think.  His tape is really good and his measurables are backing that up for sure.

I don't think that OT (or even OL) is really in play for us at 6...probably not even at 18 or if we trade down. At the same time, though, it wouldn't shock me at all to see a guy added on Day 2. 

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

I don't think that OT (or even OL) is really in play for us at 6...probably not even at 18 or if we trade down. At the same time, though, it wouldn't shock me at all to see a guy added on Day 2. 

Taylor Decker is still playing at a high level and is on a reasonable contract.  Still, If a long-term starting LT slips, I could see the Lions taking someone like Broderick Jones.  We don't have much proven OT depth.  If Decker or Sewell goes down we could have a lot of problems.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Taylor Decker is still playing at a high level and is on a reasonable contract.  Still, If a long-term starting LT slips, I could see the Lions taking someone like Broderick Jones.  We don't have much proven OT depth.  If Decker or Sewell goes down we could have a lot of problems.

I think someone like Dawand Jones if around in the second would be a solid pick.  he can play RG for a year or two and then when Decker's deal is up, if we dont want to re-sign him we can kick Sewell over to LT and bump Jones out to RT.  

A later option for a similar play would be McClendon Curtis.  Or in the mid rounds Cody Mauch.  If we take a true OT who wouldn't be able to play OG, I am guessing it will be very late. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think someone like Dawand Jones if around in the second would be a solid pick.  he can play RG for a year or two and then when Decker's deal is up, if we dont want to re-sign him we can kick Sewell over to LT and bump Jones out to RT.  

A later option for a similar play would be McClendon Curtis.  Or in the mid rounds Cody Mauch.  If we take a true OT who wouldn't be able to play OG, I am guessing it will be very late. 

The measurables of Dawand Jones are insane.  The big question is will his movement skills be enough to hold down RT.  Granted, you would have to go all the way to Greek Town to get around him but he has to have at least decent movement skills.  I am not sure he showed that at the combine.

I was busy this weekend and did not see much from the combine but after reading up on things and looking at results, here are a few things that caught my attention:

• I was very against Anthony Richardson, and still not a fan at 6.  But I see the upside others saw to have him ranked so high.  I am a results guy, and rarely do you find someone with lackluster results turn into super star at the next level.  He does have a cannon and obviously has the speed to be a great running threat.  Its the mental side of things that will determine where he ends up.  If he is slow at picking things up and just uses athleticism, then he wont make it.  If he just was in a poor situation coaching wise and surrounding talent wise, then maybe we give him a chance but I still think I would rather let someone else take that risk.  But he is ahead of Levis on my board but still behind Stroud and probably Young. 
  • Adetomiwa Adebawore will be this years Travon Walker IMO.  He has similar PFF numbers but also similar athleticism and size (slightly bigger size and better numbers).  Not sure he will jump into the top 5, but will be a first round pick IMO given how much stock people put into the combine.  He may be in play for us at 18 if there but again, I am skeptical. He did what some expected Van Ness to do and has similar production to go with it. 
  • Brian Branch was disappointing.  The second slowest time for a CB and one of the worst for S.  One of the worst verticals. Middle of the pack for broad jump and bench.  His tape is much better than his physical traits but wondering if this drops him a decent amount.  He was a likely top 15 pick and now may be available in the mid second if he doesn't improve on these at his pro day.  Antonio Johnson also had a rougher combine so my top two S prospects seem to be falling.  Good news if we can nab one in the second though.  
  • Jack Campbell is my LB crush.  He was elite in every test other than the 40 but was even solid there for his weight.  His lateral movement and vision should lead him to be a very solid LB and seems to fit our system perfectly. 
  • Christian Gonzalez is definitely in play at 6 if we stay there.  I hope Witherspoon works out well at his pro day because I still like his cover skills better but its close with the results Gonzalez had last weekend.  Definitely a strong group of DBs overall athletically.
  • Some other PFF studs showed why they are lower on people lists but still athletic enough to be mid round picks IMO.  Mekhi Blackmon, Kaevon Merriweather, Gervarrius Owens, and a couple others were middle of the pack in most tests.  I think as long as they weren't bottom of their respective position groups, they should be mid round picks like Kerby was. I expect them to rise up boards as it gets closer to the draft. 
  • As someone mentioned, Holmes seems to like RAS, especially when it matches up with results.  Gonzalez and Campbell were 9.96 and 9.98 respectively. Zack Kuntz has been one of my favorite late round TEs but after putting up a perfect 10 RAS he likely moves into the 2-4 round area.  Jon Gaines and Sidney Sow had a 9.95 and 9.93 as OG's which is insane.  Will have to look into them further for sure.  There have been about 115 10 RAS scores since 1987.  Since 2015 there have been 13 perfect scores with primarily good results.  One flop in 2015 (Kristjan Sokoli), one long snapper lol, and a few drafted last year that are too early to call.  

36 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The measurables of Dawand Jones are insane.  The big question is will his movement skills be enough to hold down RT.  Granted, you would have to go all the way to Greek Town to get around him but he has to have at least decent movement skills.  I am not sure he showed that at the combine.

He will be a great RG IMO, if he can bounce outside, so be it.  He dominated the senior bowl against a lot of great edge rushers so I think he can play at RT but if not, we still have a solid OG.  That being said, he just ran a fourty yard dash at the combine so I wouldn't put any weight into the combine for him.  

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I was busy this weekend and did not see much from the combine but after reading up on things and looking at results, here are a few things that caught my attention:

• I was very against Anthony Richardson, and still not a fan at 6.  But I see the upside others saw to have him ranked so high.  I am a results guy, and rarely do you find someone with lackluster results turn into super star at the next level.  He does have a cannon and obviously has the speed to be a great running threat.  Its the mental side of things that will determine where he ends up.  If he is slow at picking things up and just uses athleticism, then he wont make it.  If he just was in a poor situation coaching wise and surrounding talent wise, then maybe we give him a chance but I still think I would rather let someone else take that risk.  But he is ahead of Levis on my board but still behind Stroud and probably Young. 
  • Adetomiwa Adebawore will be this years Travon Walker IMO.  He has similar PFF numbers but also similar athleticism and size (slightly bigger size and better numbers).  Not sure he will jump into the top 5, but will be a first round pick IMO given how much stock people put into the combine.  He may be in play for us at 18 if there but again, I am skeptical. He did what some expected Van Ness to do and has similar production to go with it. 
  • Brian Branch was disappointing.  The second slowest time for a CB and one of the worst for S.  One of the worst verticals. Middle of the pack for broad jump and bench.  His tape is much better than his physical traits but wondering if this drops him a decent amount.  He was a likely top 15 pick and now may be available in the mid second if he doesn't improve on these at his pro day.  Antonio Johnson also had a rougher combine so my top two S prospects seem to be falling.  Good news if we can nab one in the second though.  
  • Jack Campbell is my LB crush.  He was elite in every test other than the 40 but was even solid there for his weight.  His lateral movement and vision should lead him to be a very solid LB and seems to fit our system perfectly. 
  • Christian Gonzalez is definitely in play at 6 if we stay there.  I hope Witherspoon works out well at his pro day because I still like his cover skills better but its close with the results Gonzalez had last weekend.  Definitely a strong group of DBs overall athletically.
  • Some other PFF studs showed why they are lower on people lists but still athletic enough to be mid round picks IMO.  Mekhi Blackmon, Kaevon Merriweather, Gervarrius Owens, and a couple others were middle of the pack in most tests.  I think as long as they weren't bottom of their respective position groups, they should be mid round picks like Kerby was. I expect them to rise up boards as it gets closer to the draft. 
  • As someone mentioned, Holmes seems to like RAS, especially when it matches up with results.  Gonzalez and Campbell were 9.96 and 9.98 respectively. Zack Kuntz has been one of my favorite late round TEs but after putting up a perfect 10 RAS he likely moves into the 2-4 round area.  Jon Gaines and Sidney Sow had a 9.95 and 9.93 as OG's which is insane.  Will have to look into them further for sure.  There have been about 115 10 RAS scores since 1987.  Since 2015 there have been 13 perfect scores with primarily good results.  One flop in 2015 (Kristjan Sokoli), one long snapper lol, and a few drafted last year that are too early to call.  

AR15: If he's available at #6, this is going to be great for the Lions. What I want > We trade down to #9 with Carolina (assuming they're still there) who get Cam Newton 2.0; What could happen > Brad Holmes decides to give Jared Goff the next two years as our QB1 and draft our QBOTF. Let him sit for the next one to  two years and develop. If Holmes and Campbell sign off on it, I'd just have to put my faith in them. I get it (kind of) but I would still prefer to build out the roster and add players to the defense. 

AA/LVN: I want to see us add another piece on the DL early to play opposite of Hutchinson. Houston is a DPR. He played well but I am not relying on this and ignoring the position. 

BB/AJ: I'm ok if either guy drops. Branch has produced and as Campbell put it, they put more value on tape. I'm sure they'll clean things up when pro days roll around. 

JC: I am willing this to happen... he has to be a Lion. 

CG: If we stay at #6 or even move down a bit, I am very much in favour of Gonzalez or Witherspoon. We desperately need help at the position, short and long term

TE: I could be open to Darnell Washington in round 2. He'd be like adding another OT that can also make some plays. He's a bit raw as a pass catcher but he showed off some tools at the combine. 

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Andrew Vorhees tore his ACL at the combine.  Dude threw up 37 reps on his bench.  This is why some prospects choose not to participate.  How far do you think he falls?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/report-andrew-vorhees-believed-to-have-torn-acl-after-combine-injury/

It could also have happened at his pro day. It's unfortunate but I don't know if I would buy the whole thing about trying to avoid an injury. 

Anthony Richardson Combine Visits (according to interview with Rich Eisen)

• Chicago
  • Houston
  • Indianapolis (Informal)
  • Seattle
  • Las Vegas
  • Atlanta
  • Carolina
  • Minnesota
  • Baltimore
  • New York Jets (Informal)
  • New England
  • New Orleans
  • Tennessee
  • Washington
  • Tampa Bay

I was listening to the Move The Sticks combine review. They touched on linebacker. Neither of them feel that there is a 1st round LB in the group. They didn't seem overly impressed even with future Lion Jack Campbell. Just a note or a thought to share. 

55 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I was listening to the Move The Sticks combine review. They touched on linebacker. Neither of them feel that there is a 1st round LB in the group. They didn't seem overly impressed even with future Lion Jack Campbell. Just a note or a thought to share. 

I see you are trying to speak it into existence. If that works, start talking Super Bowl.