2023 Free Agency Tread

mwalker

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There’s your sales pitch to make to FAs this spring. And even at that you can sub out those names for any you want. 

and now we present the sales pitch  the competitor will use to persuade UFA  away from the steelers:

YyZwaWQ9QXBp

• Like 1

with Curry as our LB coach (and former coach of Wagner) , will that persuade or repel  Wagner from signing?

I just saw a vid where the author averaged Wagner's salary for the last 4 years. It's less than Jacks cap hit, so the no brainer here is cut Jack, sign Bobby.  I would prefer to trade Jack, get anything and move on and sign the best ILB in the game.  Major upgrade, no rookie will match his play on the field either.

For some reason I thought Wagner was paid a much higher amount, but now know this is possible and considering Tomlin was interested last year, this looks promising. 

Still sign Evans  or KVN as well, and Robinson can be a reserve and learn from a couple of real pro's.  Result is ILB is a major strength, and hardly any cap hit after you cut Jack if you can't trade him. 

This is easy. 

Edited by 3rivers

On 2/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, bigben07MVP said:

When I was campaigning for Meyers at the beginning of the offseason, I thought he would be a little more under the radar. I wasn’t taking into account the lack of top end talent in the WR FA class this year. I think he could be the Christian Kirk of this FA class where someone gives him a way bigger deal than we are all expecting. 

Yikes

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yikes

Yep I figured it would be close to Kirk from last year.

Another reason why I’m fine with drafting a WR high…FA prices are going to be high(even though I was ok with going after Meyers).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Yep I figured it would be close to Kirk from last year.

Another reason why I’m fine with drafting a WR high…FA prices are going to be high(even though I was ok with going after Meyers).

agree on this. If the UFA cass is lacking and would cost too much, thats a double NO .  This is where making the run game better helps too, but of course the drafting of a WR would be about 5-10X less cap compared to the UFA at these prices and where the draft pick is. Good WR's should still be there in RD2 . Of  course there is the XFL as well, where coates and martavis are these days  so maybe proven UFA is better  sometimes

It would be nice to ad another good WR but not unless the OL and DL are solid and CB1 is either Sutton/comparable UFA  or RD1 pick. 

No to wentz, go with Dalton or Brisett  . Is Mason gone then, for a fact?

I still want them to sign Houston even if they sign Highsmith. This would be a true rotational player with not much if any drop off. Not sure if Houston still wants a higher  snap count, but if not, then here is the time to join the Steelers.  2 year deal with incentives etc. 

Justin Houston
Edge · Age: 34

Baltimore Ravens

The edge rusher showed few signs of his age in his 12th NFL season, leading the Ravens with 36 pressures. Houston maintains his twitchy burst off the ball -- he averaged a pass-rush get-off of 0.75 seconds, the fourth-quickest in the NFL (minimum of 250 pass rushes). That translated into a sack rate of 3.7 percent, a number that trailed only three players: Brandon Graham, Nick Bosa and Haason Reddick.

On 2/22/2023 at 6:34 AM, warfelg said:

It needs both. If we got a NT that can take on 2 gap responsibility and allow a guy like Larry O to single gap in run responsibilities. But we also need to improve some depth there over those guys you listed. Personally I think they will start to use Leal on the edge on run downs and push him into the 5/7T area when we’re in pass downs. 

via Ourlads

DT - Heyward/Leal

DE - LarryO/Wormley/Milk

NT - Adams/Alualu

Jonathan Marshall could be a name to keep an eye on. They signed him in December and gave him a good number #91. He most closely identifies with monster 

I'd project a priority addition in free agency and/or draft and somin like this

DT - Heyward/Leal

DE - Milk/UFA 

NT - Marshall/DRAFT or Adams

You don't wanna bottle up your youth with a veteran, so I can't see LarryO coming back. Even though it would make sense and provide much needed stability. Give me some of that Chooks money and we'll put it in LarryO at 3 for $30m. I'd rather pay him than Cam Sutton. Because you have more options at CB: WJIII, Wallace, Spoon, Pierre and Maulet. While none are neither good nor great, they are mostly comprised of NFL bodies. 

They'll probably go third tier DL depth signing.

I dunno what you wanna call Marshall. He's a defensive tackle. The 32" arms probably don't want him on the tackle as a DE. How do you control a man who controls you? But you know what those Skronski's at guard do have some short arms. He's a dominant interior presence.  

Basically, Leal and Heyward start. With Watt and Highsmith. And that's undersized. You need a bigger EDGE or DT and that'll tighten those gaps if you will.

Tuli-Heyward-Kancey-Watt is well constructed. 

I was extremely happy to get Jonathan Marshall. He's very explosive and gets into the backfield but has enough strength to hold the LoS. Here's his testing results for his pro day:

Marshall measured a shade over 6-foot-3 and 310 pounds. He completed 36 reps on the bench press (32 ½ inch arms), touched 32 in the vertical jump, and 9’6″ in the broad jump. His 40-time was as fast as 4.77 seconds on many watches. Marshall tweaked his hamstring on the second 40-yard dash and did not run the shuttles or three-cone.