2023 Free Agency Tread

mwalker

46 minutes ago, jebrick said:

But Bud sucks rushing from the right side ( of the Oline).

Personally, I don't really care.  Leal can come off the right and put Bud on the left.  Or put Highsmith over there and let Bud come off the left.  You make it work, especially if Bud is cut and willing to come back on a cheap deal.

45 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'd rather just draft a rotational guy. But I understand that's kind of a gamble. 

Too many needs to commit to needing to take that in the draft.  And given that you are talking about a rotation player who will end up starting some games, you are better off with a vet who's been developed that you can plug and play.  I think that's what really killed us last year when they discovered Reed wasn't the answer.  Jones and Leal were too green to be effective.

• Like 1

@warfelg

We talked about being ok with drafting Anderson(when we were looking at a top 10 pick) and basically using thisnyears 1st on an Edge…basically just swapping 2023 need for a 2024 need.

Im not saying we have to pick one high but I don’t see an issue with picking one by pick 120 especially for depth this year and possibly replacing Highsmith next year.

Not calling you out but it’s something I remember we discussed before and you seemed fine with it.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we can find some pretty quality EDGE guys in this draft. It's a deep position of prospects. We might be able to find a good player in the 3rd or 4th.

McGuire from Missouri seems interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, AFF said:

McGuire from Missouri seems interesting.

I like him too. This class looks like they machine stamped out a bunch of prototypical 3-4 EDGE rushers. Also colleges still rarely use guys like that in the correct way and they still slip into the mid rounds. 

21 minutes ago, AFF said:

@warfelg

We talked about being ok with drafting Anderson(when we were looking at a top 10 pick) and basically using thisnyears 1st on an Edge…basically just swapping 2023 need for a 2024 need.

Im not saying we have to pick one high but I don’t see an issue with picking one by pick 120 especially for depth this year and possibly replacing Highsmith next year.

Not calling you out but it’s something I remember we discussed before and you seemed fine with it.

I was fine with it because he’s an elite level prospect and could easily be a starter. I feel like using pick 120 with “bigger fish to fry” still wouldn’t be a good use of resources with our needs without a trade down being in there. 

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we can find some pretty quality EDGE guys in this draft. It's a deep position of prospects. We might be able to find a good player in the 3rd or 4th.

If we trade down. Right now with 4 in the top 120 and 2 late 250ish picks and the way the roster is shaping up what position would you cut of OL, DL, CB, ILB to draft Edge depth. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I was fine with it because he’s an elite level prospect and could easily be a starter. I feel like using pick 120 with “bigger fish to fry” still wouldn’t be a good use of resources with our needs without a trade down being in there. 

You don’t think with Highsmith going into contract year, total lack of depth behind Watt/Highsmith and their record with Watt being out is a good enough reason to draft even a mid round guy?

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we trade down. Right now with 4 in the top 120 and 2 late 250ish picks and the way the roster is shaping up what position would you cut of OL, DL, CB, ILB to draft Edge depth. 

Sorry to re-quote, but if we signed a vet OL guy. Either as a starter at LG or a backup. I'd be ok with burning one of our first 3 picks on EDGE. Same can be said about a starting ILB. I'd also much prefer to sign the starter at LG, rather than the backup. I think Dotson could be a decent depth piece if he'd accept it. 

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

You don’t think with Highsmith going into contract year, total lack of depth behind Watt/Highsmith and their record with Watt being out is a good enough reason to draft even a mid round guy?

Not a top concern. It depends on FA but we have cap space next year to tag Highsmith if needed, so you got him for 2 more seasons. And I know the “we drafted Highsmith with Dupree around” will be the counter but we didn’t have the cap space for this option when that happened. 

Can FA make me shift my perspective on this? Sure. But as of right now, drafting a developmental guy for two years down the road with needs that are more pressing and are a now or next year need take priority IMO. 

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Sorry to re-quote, but if we signed a vet OL guy. Either as a starter at LG or a backup. I'd be ok with burning one of our first 3 picks on EDGE. Same can be said about a starting ILB. I'd also much prefer to sign the starter at LG, rather than the backup. I think Dotson could be a decent depth piece if he'd accept it. 

I think we need two ILB so I’m of the opinion that signing one still means drafting one. Bush and Spillane are FAs, Jack is a cut candidate but likely stay one more year, and Robinson is so green I can’t pencil him in for significant snaps. 

But looking at depth charts you still have 2 years of Chucks, 2 years from 3 of your WRs being FA’s, 2 years of one edge guy, a bunch of question marks on DL that have contracts ending after the season, potentially no safety depth and needing a starter, and 1 quality CB actively under contract. If I were going priority, OL is still higher, as is CB, S, DL, ILB before I get to Edge and WR. 

I feel like what I said last offseason still holds true. It was a 3-4 year rebuild. We’re in year 2. Still too many holes and needs to worry about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

especially if Bud is cut and willing to come back on a cheap deal.

still would prefer Justin Houston much more, but not sure he would trust the reserve/rotational role here. Maybe now he would, but after Ingram it's something to consider 

is there a real chance they bring bud back and then let Highsmith walk? That would be horrible

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Personally, I don't really care.  Leal can come off the right and put Bud on the left.  Or put Highsmith over there and let Bud come off the left.  You make it work, especially if Bud is cut and willing to come back on a cheap deal.

Too many needs to commit to needing to take that in the draft.  And given that you are talking about a rotation player who will end up starting some games, you are better off with a vet who's been developed that you can plug and play.  I think that's what really killed us last year when they discovered Reed wasn't the answer.  Jones and Leal were too green to be effective.

You're not wrong and if the money's right it's prolly the best move.  But Bud isn't much of a player imo without a Batman on the field. It'll be a hard pill to swallow.