John Fox is still employed

G08

I'm convinced this dude is done in the NFL, and this season is his swan song. His teams are sloppy and undisciplined, he plays the game way too conservatively for my liking (he's an 8-8 coach by default, and moves up to 10 wins when the ball bounces his way and falls to 6-10 or 7-9 when the ball doesn't). He has no right -- nor does Dowell Loggains -- to be in the conversation for developing our franchise QB.

Gut it. Find an ascending offensive mind and a proven, quality defensive coordinator who can run his own show. In my perfect world, Todd Bowles is fired by the Jets and is brought here and told he can run this defense carte blanche. As for the offensive minded head coach? Some options...

1. Pete Carmichael, JR. Called plays for some of the Saints most explosive offensive seasons, ever. Pace should know him and have a solid understanding of how he would be as a head coach.

2. Josh McDaniels. Apparently he has grown up, who really knows, but it isn't far-fetched to say that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all time and everything Patriots runs through him.

3. Matt Nagy. OC for the KC Chiefs... young and IMO I can't look at him and say he is the one running Andy Reid's offense, but man that playbook looks ******* fun. Can he be a head coach?

Put me down, for now, as calling for a Carmichael/Bowles movement (terrible pun intended).

33 minutes ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

The Jets are 3-2. You really think Bowles is on the hot seat ?

They beat the Dolphins, Jags, and Browns (although the Jags don't look bad...)

Still have: Patriots x 2, Falcons, Bucs, Chiefs, Broncos and Saints.

Fox looks like a dead man walking out there.  You can see his frustration building as each game goes.  Looks to me like a guy who knows he's on thin ice.

Barring a huge turnaround he will in all probability be fired at season's end.  The rest of this season is simply a developmental project for Trubisky and the offense.  

I think Loggains will be fine for the rest of the year in teaching Trubisky the basics of playing QB in the NFL and prepping him for next season when this team will have a new coaching staff and can actually start competing for the division.  

I would love to get Bowles in here as DC.  Although he was dealt a crappy hand in NY, his defenses have always been tough to play against.  For head coach I'm thinking an offensive guy.  Some one who knows how to develop QB's and who is innovative.

Fox looks terrible as a head coach right now. His teams are so undisciplined and find ways to blow the game. That 4 and 2 was just embarrassing. I have no problem getting rid of the entire coaching staff are this year including Fangio.  

Classic game on why I said Pace tried a 'bunt' by hiring Fox and popped into a double play anyway.

Who needs to call a timeout AFTER the other team just called one.

Who has such a failure to make a decision that swapping between punting and going for it on fourth down causes a delay of game.

Maybe Fox needs another 245 games to get enough NFL game experience to know when to go for it on fourth down and when to punt.

27 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I'll start off by saying I do somewhat like Ryan Pace. Not many GMs who have 3 consecutive bottom 10 finishes are given the opportunity to THEN chose another HC. He may be on a much hotter seat than some of us think.

Les Snead has been given that opportunity in St Louis/now LA.

I'd be shocked if Pace wasn't allowed to hire another head coach.  He is in the 3rd year of a 5-year contract versus Fox being is his 3rd year of a 4-year deal.  George McCaskey even came out and said that when Pace was hired he told him straight up that this rebuild would take time and to have patience. 

When you look at the big picture overall, I think he's done a pretty good job in acquiring young talent through the draft and even though he's had a few misses in free agency he's also made some home run signings such as Hicks and Freeman.   The only real blemishes on his resume are hiring John Fox (although that may have been forced on him) and signing Mike Glennon, oh and Kevin White, but you can't really blame him for that one.

43 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Pace will get another coach.

But there is no denying that he has taken some body blows this season

-Glennon was a horrendous failure

-The free agent class has been a trainwreck

-His 2nd round pick plays 8 snaps a game

Glennon was a massive flop but we do not know the full context of why he was signed at the salary he was.  A lot of people are speculating that it was because the Bears knew that they wanted Trubisky all along even before Glennon was signed, and this was an attempt to mask their true intentions, otherwise they would have just brought Hoyer back at a far lesser salary.  You can't tell me that San Francisco was a much more aattractive spot for him to sign, aside from maybe the weather.

Heck, Trubisky didn't even know he was being taken by the Bears on draft night until the selection was announced.  I think you gotta lay off this one Windy because in the end it won't matter one bit if Trubisky turns out to be a stud.

As for Shaheen not seeing much playing time I believe this is on the coaches more than anything else.  Miller is the established veteran and they also signed Sims this off season for his blocking prowess, so naturally you would think that those two would see more playing time over Shaheen, who is pretty raw coming from Division II Ashland.

You know, if Pace wanted to fake out the other GM"s by picking up a poor QB he could have picked Osweiler and a second round pick to boot as anybody dumb enough to be faked out by Glennon as a franchise QB would be faked out by Osweiler  too.

3 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

You know, if Pace wanted to fake out the other GM"s by picking up a poor QB he could have picked Osweiler and a second round pick to boot as anybody dumb enough to be faked out by Glennon as a franchise QB would be faked out by Osweiler  too.

Don't kid yourself in thinking that the point is other GM's viewed Glennon as a franchise QB.  

The point is more that by signing Glennon to that contract, it made other teams think that QB wasn't as pressing of a need for the Bears at #3 overall, not that they wouldn't look to draft a QB at some point.

Archived