John Fox is still employed

G08

1 minute ago, Rogerthat said:

you think when Virginia McCaskey passes it will be like old man Wertz dying on the Blackhawks?

When she dies I hope that the estate tax forces them to sell.

But this republican tax bill likely screws that up.

Trump ruins everything.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Trump ruins everything.

Don't worry I have more faith in Fox then I do congressional republicans passing anything.  good laugh. 

My thought as well George isn't going to be Rocky Wertz.  George is already entrenched and it will be busy as usual. 

I want Fox gone as bad as the next guy and and he deserves to be fired right now but he won't be until the season is over.  Hate it or love it this is how the Bears have always operated and this is why they will continue to attract good coaches for any coaching vacancies.   

One one hand I think it's fine to send a message that incompetency at your job will not be tolerated, on the other hand there's also the human emotional aspect and having the common decency to not publicly shame and embarrass someone by having them scapegoated before the season is over.

34 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

you think when Virginia McCaskey passes it will be like old man Wertz dying on the Blackhawks?

No, because that’s a really bad comparison.

The McCaskeys are vilified based on the cheapness of GSH in the 60s and for the blunders of Mike McCaskey in the 90s. I almost never hear arguments against the McCaskeys that aren’t based on 20-50 year-old notions.

On top of that, Virginia McCaksey doesn’t make any managerial decisions.

Wirtz, as recently as ten years ago, believed that people who watched his team on TV without paying a premium were stealing from him, among other insane business practices. That doesn’t even compare to Bears ownership, who just needs to find the right head coach to be competitive.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trump ruins everything.

Oh now it's personal!  I never thought of that! You guys want to protest? Maybe they can offer him the HC position here?  He would probably be more fun as a coach actually, and could probably get Ditka to return with him... 

If the Gabriel article is a correct and George did decide to push Fox on Pace then that really does speak of them as making critical decisions they don't know how to make. The biggest problem with the Macaskey's is they don't really seem to understand the game at all. The fact they needed to hire Ernie to find Pace is a bit embarrassing. 

We could get lucky and Pace could be good but it's been 3 years and he hasn't drafted one elite player and the team is at best a 6 win team this year. 

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

The fact they needed to hire Ernie to find Pace is a bit embarrassing. 

This is really confusing. So either they try to make the hire and get a guy like Phil Emery, which gets them roasted for making a bad decision, or they source a reputable NFL GM like Accorsi to aid in the search, which also gets them roasted?

5 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

This is really confusing. So either they try to make the hire and get a guy like Phil Emery, which gets them roasted for making a bad decision, or they source a reputable NFL GM like Accorsi to aid in the search, which also gets them roasted?

Ya I agree.  You can't really fault the McCaskey's for hiring a consultant like Accorsi to try and get things turned around after they did their own search process to hire the previous regime which failed.  

What you can absolutely blame them for however, is forcing and/or allowing Accorsi to force Fox on Pace (if we are to believe these reports).  I mean, Pace was a first time GM so maybe he didn't really have much of a choice at the time but as an organization, if you're going to go the route of hiring a guy like Pace then why not allow him to fulfill his vision for the team the way he sees fit?

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya I agree.  You can't really fault the McCaskey's for hiring a consultant like Accorsi to try and get things turned around after they did their own search process to hire the previous regime which failed.  

What you can absolutely blame them for however, is forcing and/or allowing Accorsi to force Fox on Pace (if we are to believe these reports).  I mean, Pace was a first time GM so maybe he didn't really have much of a choice at the time but as an organization, if you're going to go the route of hiring a guy like Pace then why not allow him to fulfill his vision for the team the way he sees fit?

I may be wrong here, but wasn’t part of the problem also that the Bears were late to the coaching search because they used up time interviewing GM candidates? I remember Quinn being the last guy to sign since Seattle made the Super Bowl, and then Gase was a surprise back-out for the 49ers job.

11 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I may be wrong here, but wasn’t part of the problem also that the Bears were late to the coaching search because they used up time interviewing GM candidates? I remember Quinn being the last guy to sign since Seattle made the Super Bowl, and then Gase was a surprise back-out for the 49ers job.

They were late naturally just because anytime you have to hire both a new GM and head coach in the same off season your team is at a disadvantage vs teams who already have a GM in place that are looking for a new head coach. 

That's why I don't think it really matters whether or not Fox is fired right now or at end of season in terms of Bears getting a head start on the coaching search.  I'm sure Pace is currently doing his due diligence on potential coaching candidates for next year and will hit the ground running come January 1st.

Side note..as a small consolation to all this dysfunction, I think that keeping Fox on for the remainder of the season definitely improves the team's chances of finishing with a better draft pick, instead of turning the show over to a guy like Fangio for instance.

Archived