John Fox is still employed

G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Pace is building New Orleans North

His offensive personnel decisions might as well be straight from the NO playbook.

To not look deeply at Pete Carmichael would be short sighted.

After the way he  had the Bears defense confused and chasing ghosts the play calling talent is there.

If that's the move then Pace better firmly put his lips around Fangio's , begging him to stay here and run the defense how he sees fit.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Pace is building New Orleans North

His offensive personnel decisions might as well be straight from the NO playbook.

To not look deeply at Pete Carmichael would be short sighted.

After the way he  had the Bears defense confused and chasing ghosts the play calling talent is there.

The Saints play-calling was brilliant. I was very impressed if that is Pete Carmichael. We do need Fangio to stay since the defense seems to have finally picked up his scheme. 

One thing that came to mind as I was just reviewing potential HC candidates is that there’s a real-world component here that we’re not considering, in that resumes are just part of the picture.

I’ve been on an interview team on multiple occasions, and some people have had decent-looking resumes but then don’t have the soft skills in the interview to do the job or are awful culture fits. At the same time, I’ve interviewed with companies for positions that looked good on paper, and then after five minutes in the interview chair I realized I had no interest in working there.

I know that realistically, the resume is all we can debate off of, but we shouldn’t get too tied up in that aspect.

11 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

One thing that came to mind as I was just reviewing potential HC candidates is that there’s a real-world component here that we’re not considering, in that resumes are just part of the picture.

I’ve been on an interview team on multiple occasions, and some people have had decent-looking resumes but then don’t have the soft skills in the interview to do the job or are awful culture fits. At the same time, I’ve interviewed with companies for positions that looked good on paper, and then after five minutes in the interview chair I realized I had no interest in working there.

I know that realistically, the resume is all we can debate off of, but we shouldn’t get too tied up in that aspect.

That’s a good point, and to that point, outside of Fangio getting a HC gig it would surprise me if he didn’t want to stay through a regime change assuming playcalling autonomy. This is HIS defense, built to his specs and ascending sharply with a young core. Why would he want to leave? If he still wants to be a HC then he’s set himself up for success here that may open that door, and if he’s content to be DC then he’s built what he’s looking for here already.

And furthermore, as a new HC coming in, why would you want to mess with that chemistry at all? If you’re the new offensive minded HC or even a guy like Toub with a ST background coming in for what should be the upswing of a rebuild then why would you mess with the part of the team that’s already rebuilt and thriving? You’d be undermining yourself. Any new HC we bring in shouldn’t be tied to Fangio, but if they’re smart they should want to keep him. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

And furthermore, as a new HC coming in, why would you want to mess with that chemistry at all? If you’re the new offensive minded HC or even a guy like Toub with a ST background coming in for what should be the upswing of a rebuild then why would you mess with the part of the team that’s already rebuilt and thriving? You’d be undermining yourself. Any new HC we bring in shouldn’t be tied to Fangio, but if they’re smart they should want to keep him. 

I think philosophy plays a big part. Does Fangio run the kind of scheme that the new HC prefers? If not, that’s a big problem, and saddling a HC with a scheme he doesn’t want to run will inevitably create friction.

9 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I think philosophy plays a big part. Does Fangio run the kind of scheme that the new HC prefers? If not, that’s a big problem, and saddling a HC with a scheme he doesn’t want to run will inevitably create friction.

I'm hoping we have an offensive HC who just wants a defense to do well, rather than try to control that side of the ball. My ideal HC is someone who can install a productive system, call the plays, and groom a QB to their potential. I don't care for them meddling in the defense, focus on your specialty and make the executive decisions available to you, but let Pace pick who leads the other side of the ball.

Of course that is my preference, but a first-time HC has a ton on their plate already. Lets hope they can check their ego and not limit their own effectiveness by stretching too thin around the team. If Fangio leaves I am content with Donatell, he clearly has done great with his DBs and knows the scheme better than about anyone else.

Anyone else thinking Frank Reich might be an option? Wentz looks like a superstar and Reich has worked with him...Peyton Manning & Phillip Rivers...he has already interviewed for a few HC jobs around the NFL is well so he is clearly respected...would bring some of that KC offence with him as well.

44 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Watching the Rams today is making me sick. Young QB, good running back, scattershot receivers and tight ends, throwing up like fifty points.

Meanwhile, Bears struggle mightily to score one offensive touchdown per game.

Bears need to change playcalling... just make it easy for Mitch... 

But no, lets R R P every drive...

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else thinking Frank Reich might be an option? Wentz looks like a superstar and Reich has worked with him...Peyton Manning & Phillip Rivers...he has already interviewed for a few HC jobs around the NFL is well so he is clearly respected...would bring some of that KC offence with him as well.

Would 100% be on my interview list. You could steal their OC Frank Reich (HC) and their QB coach DeFlillippo (OC).

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think they would just promote DeFlillippo but Reich has worked on some decent staffs.

DeFlillippo is only under contract for this year, so he will have to re-sign with them to make that happen.

After they blocked his interview with the Jets for their OC position, I'm not sure he gives them a chance. I believe I read he was under agreement that he would not be blocked from another team's promotion chance and they turned on their word.

IDK, maybe he is a forgiving guy. I'd love to get DeFlillippo though.

EDIT - Found it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Report-Eagles-broke-promise-to-let-John-DeFilippo-leave-50881221

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

DeFlillippo is only under contract for this year, so he will have to re-sign with them to make that happen.

After they blocked his interview with the Jets for their OC position, I'm not sure he gives them a chance. I believe I read he was under agreement that he would not be blocked from another team's promotion chance and they turned on their word.

IDK, maybe he is a forgiving guy. I'd love to get DeFlillippo though.

EDIT - Found it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Report-Eagles-broke-promise-to-let-John-DeFilippo-leave-50881221

I think the only issue is if they offer him a chance to work long term with Wentz that is tough to turn down if he has an eye on an HC role long term.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I think the only issue is if they offer him a chance to work long term with Wentz that is tough to turn down if he has an eye on an HC role long term.

True, I feel he will be a high-demand commodity as an OC around the league. In his shoes I might try to use that to become the highest paid OC. If not someone else might.

He also might see an opportunity to take over from a dead fish HC. Look at how Lovie was removed. He might get a bonus year of installing the system if he likes some of the personnel on a team.

Archived