The Jags Are Creating Some Cap Space

BobbyPhil1781

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m not even sure of that much, tbh. Maybe he puts it together, but I view Walker a lot like Clowney - great athlete that isn’t natural rushing the passer.

As someone who survived a Clowney era - he could have built in that natural ability, but he was simply too lazy and immature. If Walker has a desire to be the best version of himself, those moves and instincts will start to manifest with the proper study and mental reps.

• Like 3

Just freeing up $ to keep their own guys. Which is weird to say as a Jags fan.

They will bring back key guys, hope Ridley is still that guy, add depth via FA and focus on building through the Draft.

Don’t see them ponying up for Josh Allen extension. He’s a solid player but not worth what he’s going to ask for. Can definitely see OLB/DE in play at 24.

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

As someone who survived a Clowney era - he could have built in that natural ability, but he was simply too lazy and immature. If Walker has a desire to be the best version of himself, those moves and instincts will start to manifest with the proper study and mental reps.

Perhaps. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn’t, independent of want, desire, or work ethic. Not everyone can develop those instincts or those abilities, in fact I’d say most can’t. That’s what you love out of the Bosa brothers when they were still prospects, that level of refinement (and in Nick’s case, good athleticism as well). We’ll see. 

A little early to be thinking of Walker’s next deal anyway, lol. Throwing Josh Allen 4/$100M (which would be stupid) wouldn’t effect a deal for Walker, much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

If you're trying to enjoy your day THEN STOP BRINGING UP SAD MEMORIES. 😁

As a Bears fan there's the mid 80s, a few weeks in each decade and this offseason. Other than that, it never happened. In a few more months this offseason might be blacked out too.

17 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

With that, the Jags are still lacking a true #1. I wonder if they go out and get an elite FA with that cash. Maybe they're a team to watch out for with the Deandre Hopkins sweepstakes?

Didn't they just trade a 4th and a conditional 2nd (can become a 1st) for Calvin Ridley? I can't imagine that they'll invest more assets into their WR room, Ridley/Kirk can both go over 1k. 

On 2/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't go crazy with anything if I were them.

But they do have a 2 year window of Lawrence on a cheap deal to try and get as many contributors as possible before his cap number skyrockets.

This is the biggest thing for the Jaguars.  Having Lawrence should help to stabilize things long-term.  They should be able to build competitive teams around him year after year for a long time.  However...capitalizing on him playing on that rookie deal before his cap number goes through the roof should be a top priority.  This is the time where you can really load up the team around him and make some noise.  You really have to make the most of those years in today's NFL.

It's also important to make some things happen while they can afford to spend a bit with Lawrence more affordable right now, to establish the Jaguars as a team that players will want to sign with down the line when Lawrence is eating up more of the cap.  You have to make a credible case that it's a team with a chance to win it all...rather than just throwing the most money at guys to come play in Jacksonville.  That's what you need to establish to build a long-term competitive team around a good quarterback once their salary makes that enormous jump to "highest paid QB in the league".

On 2/28/2023 at 5:52 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Some of that cap is going to disappear with a Josh Allen extension, no?

With that, the Jags are still lacking a true #1. I wonder if they go out and get an elite FA with that cash. Maybe they're a team to watch out for with the Deandre Hopkins sweepstakes?

WR1: Not sure
WR2: Calvin Ridley
Slot: Christian Kirk
WR4: Zay Jones
TE: Evan Engram

That's an absolutely loaded group if they bring in a #1. I don't think they NEED to, but it'd make them virtually impossible to match up against.

That's why they got Ridley. He's a #1. I think they're all set with the group they have now with Ridley at the top.

1 hour ago, RaisinBran said:

That's why they got Ridley. He's a #1. I think they're all set with the group they have now with Ridley at the top.

Is he though? He can be a #1 for sure...but he's also been out of football for over a year & has never really been a 1 anyways.

He strikes me as an elite #2 option.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Is he though? He can be a #1 for sure...but he's also been out of football for over a year & has never really been a 1 anyways.

He strikes me as an elite #2 option.

I guess it depends if he's stayed in football shape during his time off the field and how long it will take to get back. He was definitely a #1 on the Falcons before his suspension and it's only been 1 year right?

3 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I guess it depends if he's stayed in football shape during his time off the field and how long it will take to get back. He was definitely a #1 on the Falcons before his suspension and it's only been 1 year right?

He had a very productive 2020, then broke his foot and took some mental health time in 2021 after playing only 5 games, and then missed all of 2022. He’s 28 for most of this season (turns 29 in December). 

I’m not 1000% sure that he’s a “#1” as in top 13ish guy that’ll command 150 targets (the way Diggs and AJB proved themselves to be when they left their teams), even before missing time, but he doesn’t need to be that guy in Jacksonville. Just needs to be another big wrinkle in that offense, which if he isn’t too rusty, I think is definitely doable for him. I’d have made the deal Jacksonville made for him.