The Jags Are Creating Some Cap Space

BobbyPhil1781

Some of that cap is going to disappear with a Josh Allen extension, no?

With that, the Jags are still lacking a true #1. I wonder if they go out and get an elite FA with that cash. Maybe they're a team to watch out for with the Deandre Hopkins sweepstakes?

WR1: Not sure
WR2: Calvin Ridley
Slot: Christian Kirk
WR4: Zay Jones
TE: Evan Engram

That's an absolutely loaded group if they bring in a #1. I don't think they NEED to, but it'd make them virtually impossible to match up against.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

With that, the Jags are still lacking a true #1. I wonder if they go out and get an elite FA with that cash. Maybe they're a team to watch out for with the Deandre Hopkins sweepstakes?

That's an absolutely loaded group if they bring in a #1. I don't think they NEED to, but it'd make them virtually impossible to match up against.

Ridley and Kirk are fine as #1 and #2. If I'm them, I look to extend Engram and maybe go after Jamel Dean.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Don't think they need a true #1 either like you eluded to but it wouldn't help. Trevor wouldn't object to it though, I'm sure.

I also agree that cap will be needed for Allen but it was going to be required anyway.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I wonder if they go out and get an elite FA with that cash.

They’re only $13.7M over now. They could make something work with almost any one player if they really wanted to, but not sure that puts them out there as big buyers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Honestly, they probably need to roll some of this cap forward - at this rate, Trevor Lawrence is going to command over $50mm/yr, and booking multiple multi-year contracts now will lead to tough financial decisions down the line.

Yeah, I wouldn't go crazy with anything if I were them.

But they do have a 2 year window of Lawrence on a cheap deal to try and get as many contributors as possible before his cap number skyrockets.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Using big dollars for Josh Allen is a huge mistake, IMO.

Especially if you find yourself needing to extend Travon Walker - at first glance, Walker seems like the edge defender you want to ink to a big deal. 

Jacksonville doesn't have a lot tied into future players though. By the time Lawrence is ready for a deal, they won't likely have a ton of fat contacts.

Christian Kirk (could get out of it by then...will probably either he or Ridley)
Travis Etienne (if they elect to bring him back)
Josh Allen (if they end up paying him anyways)
Tyson Campbell

I think they'll be fine in terms of cap space. They have a lot of young players that will phase out the veterans making a lot of money right now. I think they stayed flexible for the future.

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Especially if you find yourself needing to extend Travon Walker - at first glance, Walker seems like the edge defender you want to ink to a big deal. 

I’m not even sure of that much, tbh. Maybe he puts it together, but I view Walker a lot like Clowney - great athlete that isn’t natural rushing the passer.

I guess I wouldn’t be totally opposed to doing something with Allen, even giving him the dollar amount he wants, as long as it isn’t long term. Not many pass rushers on the market, so he’s “valuable” in that sense, but a high end edge rusher, he is not.