War's offseason Sim

warfelg

We've been talking about the draft a good bit but as I've mentioned before, its near impossible to talk about the draft without talking about FA due to our potential cap space and number of free agents/holes we have to fill. So here it is:

Of note, the cap space before reflects the need to count for the draft picks pool.

CUTS - Cap Space Before $(-712,638)

William Jackson III, Ahkello Witherspoon, Gunner Olszewski

RESTRUCTURES - Cap Space Before $18,037,362

TJ Watt, Chukwuma Okorafor

EXTENSIONS - Cap Space Before $36,537,362

Mitchell Trubisky (add 1 year, lower his overall cap hit, make him movable in camp should an opportunity come up to trade him), Cam Heyward (add 2 years, add minimal money to the contract, and lower his cap hit this year)

RESIGNINGS - Cap Space Before $51,537,362

Cameron Sutton (4 years, $54mil, $18.9 GTD), Terrell Edmunds (3 years, $15mil, $4.5 GTD) - COMBINED YEAR 1 HIT - $12.5mil

FREE AGENCY - Cap Space Before $24,037,362

Priorities right now are as follow: OG, EDGE3, CB3, ILB, TE2/3, DL

Early FA Signings:

Wes Schweitzer, G - 4 years, $28mil, 35% GTD (ACCEPTED)

David Long Jr, ILB - 4 years, $24mil, 35% GTD (ACCEPTED)

A'Shawn Robinson, DL - 3 years, $33mil, 45% GTD (ACCEPTED)

Later FA Signings:

EDGE3, CB3, TE2/3 are what I'm looking to fill in at this point.

Dawuane Smoot, EDGE - 3 years, $19.5mil, 25% GTD (ACCEPTED)

Bryce Callahan, CB - 2 years, $6mil, 20% GTD (ACCEPTED)

Both of these guys are older and have battled injuries, so I throw out some low risk offers that can be ended or traded without killing us.  It also doesn't stop us from drafting CB or EDGE "high" if a good value is there.  In addition our early signings really do set us up to still have "needs" at ILB and DL, but now we don't have to force ourselves to take that position early.

DRAFT - 

My only real "need" for this right now is TE2/3.  I feel good.  I can let the draft come to me and take trades if I need it.  I'm still looking at the long term health of ILB, CB, DL, and WR as spots I can go to.

So I'll give you the options from 2 different mock drafts:

1st, PFN's mock -

17 traded to Dallas for 26 and 2024 DAL 1st

26 traded to Cincinnati for 28 and 2024 CIN 3rd

28 - Lukas Van Ness IDL Iowa - Yes, I know he's a guy that didn't start and has 1 pass rush move.  But because of movement earlier in the offseason I can afford to take a project player here. In a way he reminds me of Aaron Smith and Cam Heyward in that he played EDGE in college but he's more of a 3/5T in the NFL.  That length, leverage, and power would be great there.  With Robinson and Heyward he's in a great spot to learn and spell at times.

32 - Darnell Washington TE Georgia - He's a draft crush of a few here and would be a stud of a TE with us.  As our TE2 he could be a game changer where you can get really flexible between him and Freiermuth.

49 - Tuli Tuipuloti EDGE USC - I actually project him as a tweeter edge like Leal in the NFL.  I was close to taking Dawand Jones but this was too good of a deal.  Between him, Leal, Van Ness, Watt, Robinson; this front would be quite the line to mix and match with especially if we keep Highsmith and Heyward sticks around another year or two.

80 - Jaylon Jones CB Texas A&M - He's a big sticky corner with inside-out ability. He's going to have grabby problems early, but I think he's kind of a deal at this point as I have little difference between him and JPJ who goes in round 1.

120 - DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas - Another potential steal at this point of the draft.  He's very athletic, has some coverage ability, good run stuffer.  But with Long, Jack, Robinson we got starters covered and depth.

236 - Spencer Anderson OC Maryland - Potential depth in this position of the draft.

243 - Tashawn Manning OG Kentucky - Same as above.

2nd, PFF Mock -

Traded 17 to the New York Giants for quite the package - 25, 89, 128, 162, 2024 3rd, 2024 5th.  So I'll have 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rd, 2 4ths, and a 5th this year taking me to 10 picks this year and 9 picks next year.

25 - Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR OSU - Yes I know some will hate this but he was by far and away the best option left.  What I like with him is he has the ability to be a big slot and an outside WR.  We can get really creative in moving our top 4 around of Pickens, DJ, CAIII, and JSN to go big, small, protect guys, and what not.

32 - Deonte Banks CB Maryland - I think he's getting overlooked in this class.  He's a 6'2" 200+ LBs corner who moves really well. And what I like is we got CB's that can play and Banks can go from time to time and be learning year one.

49 - Dawand Jones OT OSU - He's a big boy, but he's also developmental.  I would like seeing him be a Eligible guy in year 1 while he works on his body.  Best case it lets you move up from Moore, maybe Chucks, and worst case he's a swing tackle.

80 - Garrett Williams CB Syracuse - Another big corner who this time has a few more flaws in his game.  But with what I did earlier Wallace and Callahan are both short term answers so we do need to think long game.

89 - Sam LaPorta TE Iowa - I think that this guy is a hidden gem at TE.  Iowa's awful offense is going to hinder his draft stock because he will test well.

120 - Moro Ojomo DL Texas - Developmental DL here who won't be pressed into action too soon.

128 - Dorian Williams LB Tulane - Hidden gem at LB who can really be a late stud find of LB who others seem to have.

162 - Aidan O'Connell QB Purdue - Depth is needed here.

236 - SirVocea Dennis LB Pittsburgh - We need ST depth and he can offer it.

243 - Mohamed Ibrahim RB Minnesota - Depth at the position.

• Like 1

I like the FA moves. I'd rather the 1st mock. I'm intrigued by Overshown and Jaylon Jones. My feelings towards Tuli are already known. I don't love taking a TE, but if FA fell that way I'd be fine with it. Van Ness is an old school draft pick for us. He'll need some serious seasoning, but if he hits he'll be a stud for a long time. 

#1 I really would not draft Van Ness thinking he is going to move inside at 265.  Getting Tuli solves that for you as he is perfect Cam replacement. I like Jones and Overshown.

#2. JSN is a great pick there.  WR with immediate impact.  I do not think Dawand Jones falls that far but it is PFN.  I think you way over drafted Banks and he is not the best fit for the Steelers as he is an physical press CB.

This is a very realistic offseason for the Steelers and I’d be pretty happy if it went this way.

I would prefer draft #2 as JSN is a much safer bet to be a stud than LVN imo. I’m intrigued by his potential but he just seems a bit too risky to spend a first on imo. 

Trading down and landing JSN is a home run. I admittedly don’t know much about Banks, there’s probably some corners I would prefer here like Cam Smith if he falls, Forbes, or Clark Phillips III.

Only part I feel that is a bit unrealistic is giving Sutton 54 million AND taking two corners in the top 80 picks, but I understand your reasoning.

1 minute ago, armsteeld said:

Why is Tuli projected as a tweener when he's 6'4 295? He's as big as Jalen Carter.

I think he is in the way Leal is in that he can stand up on the edge if he played 275, or go a little bigger and play 5T at 305.  His skill set dictates the ability to do that.  Carter is more interior rusher due to the lack of bend around the edge.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I get the not loving all the praise thrown JVN’s way but man, the blowback to him is kinda going overboard.

No more overboard than labeling him a first round talent despite an abundance of notable flaws in his game.

7 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Why is Tuli projected as a tweener when he's 6'4 295? He's as big as Jalen Carter.

Because he moves like an EDGE and he runs through the LEFT TACKLE. 

When you got someone like that, OK, let's put you on the outside and get a more straight-line version of you play the DT.

Or you could just go the other way and go undersized DT (Kancey) and oversized EDGE (Tuli)

Knife. And collapse. It's quite unique.

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think he is in the way Leal is in that he can stand up on the edge if he played 275, or go a little bigger and play 5T at 305.  His skill set dictates the ability to do that.  Carter is more interior rusher due to the lack of bend around the edge.

I wouldn't stand up Leal. Leal is either coming up the middle or controlling his man as a five.

Leal is not explosive like that over the tackle. Just let him own the guard.

FREE AGENCY/HOUSEKEEPING

I don't think they touch Watt. One thing I noticed on Khan is he's pretty clean.

Watt comes in year __ of his contract just a hair under $30m. That's where I'm comfortable. No more than $34m. DJ comes in clean at $16.333m, which I almost feel might be EXACTLY his value. Which is why he has value in a trade.. Minkah at $18m... That's about right... Wallace and Spoon battle for the right to play at $5.4825m. I love that so much. He's got legitimate value at the bottom of the cap and a decent crop of youngsters on rookie deals. He's in excellent shape.

Chuks is a cut player for me. It sure does make things easier to keep him to get the pieces together. Problem is he is part of the problem. Your highest paid players cannot be problems. They must be assets. It's a cut all day.

This is the NFL. And it's a business. And when it comes down to business you wanna appear healthy. I will inflate your UFA offers by 33% across the board. Minus Sutton.

You are either very close... Or devil's advocate??? What if to sign Sutton it had to be 3 YEARS, $54M or more term 4 YEARS, $70M. Or even 5 YEARS, $84M. Watcha doing then? Cam Sutton is a walk all day because I have to cut him next year 😂😂😂

Smoot is a great signing. Excellent hedge in Highsmith cash-in dreams. And I love Highsmith. We at the ceiling, baby. He bout to get paid and eat. Which is to say get his priorities in line. And you ain't it. 

Don't know the guard. Wouldn't pay guard in UFA. It's like ILB, S, undervalued starters in that 3-6 mafia (3rd-6th round)

And I am not a David Long fan. We need guys that can cover not guys that can be Larry Foote.