Saints to sign QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

I don’t love it, I don’t hate it…Depending on the contract. We should be favorites to win the NFC South now. Carr gets a talented OL, some quality pieces on offense, and a good defense to work with while playing in a dome.  If we go all in on winning now and trade up a few picks to draft a guy like Bijan Robinson, I certainly would be pretty happy about that going forward.

I love it. Carr has never had an OL as good as he'll have here, and certainly never had a defense this talented. Playing from behind and protecting a lead as a QB are very different. I think Carr will be good here. Excited for the next couple years.

28 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I love it. Carr has never had an OL as good as he'll have here

He had arguably the best line in football in 2017, not a coincidence it was his best season before getting injured. I don't like Dennis Allen as HC for you but no doubt the D will be damn good again.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Also Saints fans, beware Carr's weird *** family. Not so much his wife/kids, but his brothers and cousins. All very vocal to the media + on social media. I think 95% of Raider Nation is blocked on Twitter by those weirdos. 

They think DC is literally god and anyone who points out a single negative they jump on you. It's hilarious to watch.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He had arguably the best line in football in 2017, not a coincidence it was his best season before getting injured. I don't like Dennis Allen as HC for you but no doubt the D will be damn good again.

I was about to say this...was it 2017 or 2016? 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Jlowe22 said:

They should fit in pretty well then.

Lmao exactly what I was thinking… the Saints and even New Orleanians as a whole, historically, have not been scared of weirdos because they are the weirdos.

A message to the Carr family…. We’re not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with us. 😂

Edited by Dome

On 3/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, Kingram said:

I love it. Carr has never had an OL as good as he'll have here, and certainly never had a defense this talented. Playing from behind and protecting a lead as a QB are very different. I think Carr will be good here. Excited for the next couple years.

He has. He had one of the highest paid, top 5 Olines from 2018 to 2020. They were an elite pass protecting unit and it didn't matter. 

Second, the Raiders could not protect a lead this past season. Carr struggles in the second half with a lead dating back to his time with Gruden. He becomes conservative.

He is terrible in the red zone, which is why Dan Carlson lead the league in FGs from 20-29 yards. But, the biggest issue is he absolutely does not want to take a hit. This goes back to college. He becomes skittish in the pocket when he starts getting pressured. He won't let plays develop and leave big plays on the field zeroing in on his checks. Or worse, his footwork will get sloppy and he'll throw up a prayer. 

His biggest problem for me was inconsistency. He would have a couple games where he looked poised, accurate and determined. You get excited, then he lays an egg where he looks scared and makes boneheaded decisions. 

Example last season, on fire again KC week 5, lose by 1. Dominate against Houston week 6. Week 7, implodes against the Saints and can't get the ball across the 50.

He will go stretches where he won't target his top WR. Amari Cooper and Devante Adams both would disappear for games where he didn't target them. 

I like Carr, but he's decidedly average and will frustrate you with moments of brilliance followed by streaks of mediocre play. Glad he's your problem now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He has. He had one of the highest paid, top 5 Olines from 2018 to 2020. They were an elite pass protecting unit and it didn't matter. 

Second, the Raiders could not protect a lead this past season. Carr struggles in the second half with a lead dating back to his time with Gruden. He becomes conservative.

He is terrible in the red zone, which is why Dan Carlson lead the league in FGs from 20-29 yards. But, the biggest issue is he absolutely does not want to take a hit. This goes back to college. He becomes skittish in the pocket when he starts getting pressured. He won't let plays develop and leave big plays on the field zeroing in on his checks. Or worse, his footwork will get sloppy and he'll throw up a prayer. 

His biggest problem for me was inconsistency. He would have a couple games where he looked poised, accurate and determined. You get excited, then he lays an egg where he looks scared and makes boneheaded decisions. 

Example last season, on fire again KC week 5, lose by 1. Dominate against Houston week 6. Week 7, implodes against the Saints and can't get the ball across the 50.

He will go stretches where he won't target his top WR. Amari Cooper and Devante Adams both would disappear for games where he didn't target them. 

I like Carr, but he's decidedly average and will frustrate you with moments of brilliance followed by streaks of mediocre play. Glad he's your problem now. 

Highest paid and best are very different things. In 2018 he had two rookie OTs and Osemele missed a good chunk of games. In 2019 injuries struck again and while highly paid, Trent Brown sucked. I'm not sure you could consider 2020 an elite OL.

6 hours ago, Kingram said:

Highest paid and best are very different things. In 2018 he had two rookie OTs and Osemele missed a good chunk of games. In 2019 injuries struck again and while highly paid, Trent Brown sucked. I'm not sure you could consider 2020 an elite OL.

Sacks given up since Carr entered the league. Raiders vs. Saints. 

2014 - 28 / 30 

2015 - 33 / 32

2016 - 18 / 27

2017 - 24 / 20 

2018 - 52 / 20 

2019 - 29 /15

2020 - 28 / 29 

2021 - 40 / 37

2022 - 35 / 38

Aside from the tank year (2018) with bookend rookies you mentioned, they've been similar to the Saints in pass pro. Obviously, there is nuance to this, but if your assertion is "Carr has never had an OL as good as he'll have here" it's not accurate.  They are pretty similar.

Edited by big_palooka

8 hours ago, Dome said:

Lmao exactly what I was thinking… the Saints and even New Orleanians as a whole, historically, have not been scared of weirdos because they are the weirdos.

A message to the Carr family…. We’re not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with us. 😂

Get used to tons of passive aggressive shots like this from the Carr clan. Apparently we should have simply "Gone after" Ryan Ramczyk, too bad David wasn't our GM or anything hey?

It's too bad he has big platforms to air dirty laundry about things that bug Derek, because tidbits like this are constant.