Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No this is his first time being tagged, he played last year on his 5th year option.

Gotcha! Wasn't aware. Still wouldn't play a GD down for the Ravens like he did last year, without a long term contract. In place! 

Not 1 day!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

Yeah, he could do it if he wanted to, but holding out all season would be shooting himself in the foot IMO. 

There’s already concerns floating around (injury, “building an offense around him”, has he peaked, will he ever be a great passer, etc) to the point that no one thus far has been willing to offer him that mega GTD contract that he wants. Sitting out a year of football isn’t going to help him get that deal, it’ll just increase the likelihood that Baltimore is tired of the antics and gives him up for less.

That deal he wants, if it doesn’t happen before the regular season, only comes if he plays and balls out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

That deal he wants, if it doesn’t happen before the regular season, only comes if he plays and balls out.

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not realistic. Even if the Ravens lose, he'd torpedo his value.

I agree but to play devil's advocate, Watson's value went up and he got a fully GTD deal after he sat out for a season.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I agree but to play devil's advocate, Watson's value went up and he got a fully GTD deal after he sat out for a season.

Watson was viewed as an elite or near elite passer, and I think most would also agree that he’s a massive outlier at this point, not a precedent. 

If teams/the league believed Watson’s contract was the new standard, then Lamar wouldn’t have the issues he has getting his deal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Watson was viewed as an elite or near elite passer, and I think most would also agree that he’s a massive outlier at this point, not a precedent. 

If teams/the league believed Watson’s contract was the new standard, then Lamar wouldn’t have the issues he has getting his deal.

The Texans also didn't have any issue paying Watson, their relationship soured because Watson wanted out. 

Watson's deal definitely isn't even close to the new standard. It's still crazy to me that Lamar isn't wavering on his demands despite other guys like Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert all set to get new deals that aren't fully GTD. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Watson didn't have significant on-field concerns like Lamar does right now. He's in the midst of 3-straight regression seasons and now has injury/commitment concerns as well. It's really not comparable. Watson's only issues were off the field ones (and it goes without saying those are massive issues). On the field you knew he was a top-3 QB without question and he was holding at that level consistently. Lamar, on the other hand, peaked in 2019 and has been regressing every year since.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Watson didn't have significant on-field concerns like Lamar does right now. He's in the midst of 3-straight regression seasons and now has injury/commitment concerns as well. It's really not comparable. Watson's only issues were off the field ones (and it goes without saying those are massive issues). On the field you knew he was a top-3 QB without question and he was holding at that level consistently. Lamar, on the other hand, peaked in 2019 and has been regressing every year since.

Watson tore his left ACL at Clemson and his right ACL as a rookie. His only year of "elite production" also came in 2020 when the Texans went 4-12 and his numbers were inflated because they were always playing from behind. 

The fact that he turned down a 3 yr/$144M fully GTD deal says all I really need to know though. They tried to meet him half way, if he's not willing to accept that, what can the Ravens do?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Gotcha! Wasn't aware. Still wouldn't play a GD down for the Ravens like he did last year, without a long term contract. In place! 

Not 1 day!!!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he doesn’t sign and does indeed sit out, that wouldn’t count as one of his tag years would it?

Edited by kingseanjohn

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if he doesn’t sign and does indeed sit out, that wouldn’t count as one of his tag years would it?

He would have to sign and report by mid-November for it to accrue.

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Watson didn't have significant on-field concerns like Lamar does right now. He's in the midst of 3-straight regression seasons 

This actually isn't correct. Lamar's 2022 was better than his 2021. 

So it's more accurate to say he had two seasons of regression and then one rebound year. 

3-straight regression seasons would mean that each season is worse than then previous one.