Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I agree but to play devil's advocate, Watson's value went up and he got a fully GTD deal after he sat out for a season.

Even outside of the legal situation, there are facets of the Watson situation that created the deal he received:

1. Watson had a no-trade clause in his deal, so any team that wanted his services needed to meet his needs. He would reject any offer if it didn’t meet his financial needs.

2. The Texans leveraged that NTC to create a market of a few teams (Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Cleveland) who had to court Watson as a pseudo FA; Remember, Watson originally eliminated Cleveland as a destination and was originally leaning towards Atlanta and New Orleans, which is what prompted Cleveland to come in with its mega deal.

Lamar Jackson doesn’t have those two things working in his favor - and I highly doubt anyone is going to give out NTCs anymore following this whole debacle.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Even outside of the legal situation, there are facets of the Watson situation that created the deal he received:

1. Watson had a no-trade clause in his deal, so any team that wanted his services needed to meet his needs. He would reject any offer if it didn’t meet his financial needs.

2. The Texans leveraged that NTC to create a market of a few teams (Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Cleveland) who had to court Watson as a pseudo FA; Remember, Watson originally eliminated Cleveland as a destination and was originally leaning towards Atlanta and New Orleans, which is what prompted Cleveland to come in with its mega deal.

Lamar Jackson doesn’t have those two things working in his favor - and I highly doubt anyone is going to give out NTCs anymore following this whole debacle.

It’s essentially supply and demand while creating a unique market of scarcity. Right now, the supply is higher than the demand, especially considering the price tag that comes with it coupled with regression and injuries.

Lamar’s entire game so far is predicated on unicorn level athleticism and niche offensive personnel/play calling. That drives the market even further in the opposite direction.

Perhaps he makes the next step, but we’ve also seen 5 years of him, which is fair to say is enough for many.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wonder if he has ever sat down and compared the amount he'd pay an agent vs the amount of money he could potentially cost himself if things don't go well. 

It’s a macro level comparison of me paying my tax guy $250 a year. Complete no brainer as he saves me that annually while being legally covered. 50/50 I save a few bucks but not worth it.

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Remember, Watson originally eliminated Cleveland as a destination and was originally leaning towards Atlanta and New Orleans, which is what prompted Cleveland to come in with its mega deal.

From Schefter back then:

So if Lamar REALLY wants this deal - he needs a team to reject so they can get desperate. 

After going down this memory lane, I think this is why teams are pseudo-colluding on this one - so nobody can do like Watson and leverage teams against one another. Watson had led Atlanta down a rabbit hole, so much that Atlanta blew up its relationship with Matt Ryan prior to being left at the alter:

In addition, the Saints started up their annual “funny money” restructure to free up money for Watson - money that more or less sat there:

Both of these teams did a lot of mental gymnastics to prep for an eventuality that never happened - and I’m pretty sure those teams didn’t really like getting played like this - so THIS time around, teams are taking the leverage out of Lamar’s hands, even if it doesn’t exist.

TL;DR - Blame Deshaun Watson.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Too many people were trying to say Lamar was a RB trying to play QB but not worried about him being a RB or QB trying to play an accountant or an agent.

I'm here for the drama though, I guess

I mean… we just saw Tunsil negotiate a rather large deal, so it’s not IMPOSSIBLE. But - much like Watson - Tunsil had unique market factors (in this case, the stupidity that is Bill O’Brien) that worked in his favor. Tunsil’s first extension was with YOLO BoB, who had already given up a Watson-like haul for Tunsil. Extending him to that deal was a requirement because letting him walk after giving up two entire drafts would have been borderline negligent.

TL;DR - Negotiate against a desperate moron for best results.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s a macro level comparison of me paying my tax guy $250 a year. Complete no brainer as he saves me that annually while being legally covered. 50/50 I save a few bucks but not worth it.

I pay the same and don't have to think about it at all besides when I send docs through the portal. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

This actually isn't correct. Lamar's 2022 was better than his 2021. 

So it's more accurate to say he had two seasons of regression and then one rebound year. 

3-straight regression seasons would mean that each season is worse than then previous one. 

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=JackLa00&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=JackLa00&p2yrfrom=2022

I wouldn't really call it a "bounce back" season when it is extremely comparable to his 2021 season and there's simply no way you can say it was "better" on the whole.

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wonder if he has ever sat down and compared the amount he'd pay an agent vs the amount of money he could potentially cost himself if things don't go well. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say "no". Someone told him agents are evil and why should you pay a middleman all that money when you can just do it yourself like so many other guys have and keep all of it?!

And he believed them. And continues to believe them. Because he's not very smart.

• Like 4

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say "no". Someone told him agents are evil and why should you pay a middleman all that money when you can just do it yourself like so many other guys have and keep all of it?!

And he believed them. And continues to believe them. Because he's not very smart.

Even if you assume Lamar gets an identical contract with an agent versus without, for a QB specifically, an agent should be able to get him far more than 3% of his contact value in extra marketing opportunities.

For the average 3rd round pick who gets a slotted rookie deal, they could probably save money by going without an agent. Doesn't apply at all to a franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Or he’s very stubborn or both. For every Bobby Wagner situation, we see something like this. I mean, somehow Baker is still making commercials.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Or he’s very stubborn or both. For every Bobby Wagner situation, we see something like this. I mean, somehow Baker is still making commercials.

Because Baker has a good marketing agent. His contract agent, who knows, probably still a good agent since Baker's still getting so many opportunities.

Lamar has neither a contract agent nor a marketing agent. It's why you also don't see Lamar in any commercials or signed with any brands. He SHOULD BE a national household name, but he's not because he's absolutely refused to have any agents working for him and getting him those deals. Companies ain't calling Lamar's direct number and Lamar ain't calling those companies directly to try to get deals.

This guy has cost himself so many hundreds of millions by being stubborn/stupid it's actually insane. Even Mike Trout did Subway commercials.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because Baker has a good marketing agent. His contract agent, who knows, probably still a good agent since Baker's still getting so many opportunities.

Lamar has neither a contract agent nor a marketing agent. It's why you also don't see Lamar in any commercials or signed with any brands. He SHOULD BE a national household name, but he's not because he's absolutely refused to have any agents working for him and getting him those deals. Companies ain't calling Lamar's direct number and Lamar ain't calling those companies directly to try to get deals.

This guy has cost himself so many hundreds of millions by being stubborn/stupid it's actually insane. Even Mike Trout did Subway commercials.

If you’re smart enough to pull a Gronk/Burrow/Greg Oden and live only off of advertising money while putting away your contract, that’s plenty for most.

Not having that revenue stream or branding is something else. Look at MJ. Off the top of my head:

Sneakers

McDonalds

Gatorade

Rayovak Batteries

Hot dogs

Movie(s)

Hanes underwear

…and I feel like I’m missing a few obvious ones.

• Like 1