Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

He has to be the only MVP in the last decade not doing national commercials. Someone needs to sit him down and explain to him how top athletes actually earn money and keeping earning it after they retire.

Absolutely, but it seems like he's surrounded himself with morons and the NFLPA. Which is certainly...a choice to make...

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So who is to blame for all this? And why is it Cleveland?

It actually is Cleveland. Giving Watson that contract completely screwed the market and now because Lamar is the first "big named" (I'm not counting Kyler Murray here) QB to negotiate the first extension after a rookie deal, he gets to be the guinea pig to whether or not teams are going to hand out fully guaranteed contracts worth 1/4 of a billion dollars or not.

And so far, teams have told him they're not gonna do that, but the NFLPA and Lamar seem adamant that that's his value so here we are in a Mexican Standoff thanks to Cleveland's awful franchise and Lamar's awful circle of idiots telling him what he's worth.

• Like 3

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Absolutely, but it seems like he's surrounded himself with morons and the NFLPA. Which is certainly...a choice to make...

It actually is Cleveland. Giving Watson that contract completely screwed the market and now because Lamar is the first "big named" (I'm not counting Kyler Murray here) QB to negotiate the first extension after a rookie deal, he gets to be the guinea pig to whether or not teams are going to hand out fully guaranteed contracts worth 1/4 of a billion dollars or not.

And so far, teams have told him they're not gonna do that, but the NFLPA and Lamar seem adamant that that's his value so here we are in a Mexican Standoff thanks to Cleveland's awful franchise and Lamar's awful circle of idiots telling him what he's worth.

My comment sounded sarcastic but its 100% true Cleveland screwed everyone 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

actually is Cleveland. Giving Watson that contract completely screwed the market and now because Lamar is the first "big named" (I'm not counting Kyler Murray here) QB to negotiate the first extension after a rookie deal, he gets to be the guinea pig to whether or not teams are going to hand out fully guaranteed contracts worth 1/4 of a billion dollars or not.

ice-t hater GIF

• Like 4

The cycle of hate:

Have a dirtbag owner

Move team to Baltimore

Win 2 Super Bowls

Have original franchise and fans wallow in ineptitude and misery for 25 years 

Bask in their misery

Have aforementioned franchise with another corrupt owner overpay a guaranteed contract for a dirtbag human being 

Blame the franchise you screwed 28 years ago for putting you in this position 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The cycle of hate:

Have a dirtbag owner

Move team to Baltimore

Win 2 Super Bowls

Have original franchise and fans wallow in ineptitude and misery for 25 years 

Bask in their misery

Have aforementioned franchise with another corrupt owner overpay a guaranteed contract for a dirtbag human being 

Blame the franchise you screwed 28 years ago for putting you in this position 

True Detective Time GIF

• Like 4

RE: Lamar potentially sitting out a year because "it worked for Watson"

Deshaun almost certainly screwed Lamar on this front too, because Watson looked BAD coming off a 1.5 year layoff for Cleveland. Brissett was arguably better than Watson last year. While I think Watson will bounce back and perform closer to his old level, it's another strike against Lamar's leverage. Leveon Bell is the only other data point I can recall, and he flopped hard for the Jets.

Everything about the Watson deal is a cautionary tale that teams definitely payed attention to.

RE: Marketing deals

Take it with a grain of salt, but the local morning sports talk show had a recent segment about how dumbfounded companies are when they try to work with Lamar.

As you guys said, he has name recognition, is a former MVP, and he's not a cookie cutter guy, so there's plenty of interest. Yet when companies approach him, apparently his mom swoops in and starts making highly emotional, non-sensical demands, and the company just throws its hands up and walks away. For athleticwear, since he won't sign with a company and get paid millions to wear their clothes, Nike and such just send him free clothes and he gives them free advertising by wearing them. So basically, he forgoes the millions of dollars available to him to take the perk he'd get for free with his big bucks contract. It's absolutely mind boggling.

I'm not sure if it's a sad situation where the people closest to him are unintentionally but very actively sabotaging him, or if he just can't grasp how the business side works. I lean towards the former, with a touch of the latter mixed in. I think he could get millions in marketing deals and get a contract better than Wilson or Murray with a guarantee that's at the generational wealth level if he had competent help. And I think he has earned those things as well.  But instead he has his helicopter mom driving away money to make herself feel superior and the NFLPA lying to him in a hail mary attempt to reset the market.

Edited by Texans02
  • Like 1

I know this is old(ish) news but I was just thinking about this tweet earlier…

Why is he tweeting this? Like, are you trying to flex your agenting abilities? The offer is, apparently, far below what you want and what you are asking for. So you’re either doing a bad job as an agent or your worth as a player is far less than what you think it is. It has to be one, lol. You can’t be doing a great job as a player and a great job as an agent and then flex that you’re not getting a fair offer…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You're probably right that Lamar is scorned specifically by the Ravens for some reason and would rather go play elsewhere after this year.

This is the common assumption that I'm MOST sure is incorrect. That Lamar isn't open to coming back if they have the best offer (or close to it) because he's mad at them.

^This is the video from this week that was trending for Lamar confirming he was coming back that he himself shared, deleted, and then had him responding saying he didn't hear the question. I think that's a fair and likely response from Lamar that he didn't hear it. But, we ignoring obvious subtext from the fact that he's wearing bling that is literally the Ravens' shield logo.

What I've been saying for way too long is that there are some obvious facts here:

1. The Ravens like Lamar, want him to come back and value him more than any other team does
2. Lamar likes the Ravens and wants to come back
3. Every team in the NFL expects Lamar to end up in Baltimore

You all can dunk on me and @ me if I'm wrong (but, I'm not). There's a lot of noise but no actual drama here. Lamar isn't going anywhere. He's not going to end up anywhere other Baltimore for years to come and he's playing week 1 this year for us. We can shut this thread down. Any update short of Lamar getting the purple wings removed from the tattoo on his chest (or dyed a different color) is just more noise and wasted hot air.

Someone from the future can just send an email of how much the 100 millionaire ended up getting from the billionaire.

Edited by wackywabbit

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This is the common assumption that I'm MOST sure is incorrect. That Lamar isn't open to coming back if they have the best offer (or close to it) because he's mad at them.

^This is the video from this week that was trending for Lamar confirming he was coming back that he himself shared, deleted, and then had him responding saying he didn't hear the question. I think that's a fair and likely response from Lamar that he didn't hear it. But, we ignoring obvious subtext from the fact that he's wearing bling that is literally the Ravens' shield logo.

What I've been saying for way too long is that there are some obvious facts here:

1. The Ravens like Lamar, want him to come back and value him more than any other team does

You all can dunk on me and @ me if I'm wrong (but, I'm not). There's a lot of noise but no actual drama here. Lamar isn't going anywhere. He's not going to end up anywhere other Baltimore for years to come and he's playing week 1 this year for us. We can shut this thread down. Any update short of Lamar getting the purple wings removed from the tattoo on his chest (or dyed a different color) is just more noise and wasted hot air.

this you?

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

this you?

On 3/7/2023 at 3:41 PM, wackywabbit said:

I'm confused. At no point was this a prediction thread. This was about how I thought the Falcons SHOULD approach this. Not sure how that wasn't clear. I thought you read those 18 pages?

I guaranteed the Ravens forum that Lamar would be here long term, and I also said awhile ago I believed the non-exclusive was a real possibility to help make sure we get a long term done by 3/15.

^This is me

I was wrong about the timing of a deal signed. Consistent about Lamar is going to be Raven.

If you are going to call out something, get it right. I'll remember to @ you week 1 when Lamar is playing for the Ravens and feel free to do the reverse if the week 1 thread is about how Huntley is going to look against X.

Edited by wackywabbit

17 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You have a very loose definition of fact lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You have a very loose definition of fact lol

Well, I'm either going to proven right or wrong and everyone will know before the season starts. Better that than a drama queen just amplifying noise about nothing.

All of this annoys me. It's just plainly obvious to me who QB1 is going to be. I really wish the Ravens discourse could go back to more important things, like what CB we are drafting.

Edited by wackywabbit

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Well, I'm either going to proven right or wrong and everyone will know before the season starts. Better that than a drama queen just amplifying noise about nothing.

I mean, no, because whatever happens with Lamar’s playing situation has absolutely zero effect on something like what most teams’ FOs are expecting right now, lol. I just find that to be a pretty big stretch that all of those things are 100% certainties right now. 

But we’ll never actually know and it doesn’t really matter, so it’s moot.