Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Over a quarter billion dollars is a ton of money to put into escrow for a deal that isn't even guaranteed to go through. Even the most cash rich owners in the league would have to move assets around to get a deal like that done, I don't think you can even entertain doing it unless Lamar is a done deal to play for you.

Non-exclusive tag was a genius move by the Ravens.

Exclusive would have put all the pressure on them since it would have either been a wild cap hit or a path to true free agency next year. Consecutive non-exclusive tags is quite manageable. 32.4M in 2023. 38.8M in 2024. 55.98M in 2025. That comes to 3 years $127.18M. If the Ravens wanted to REALLY play hardball they could.

• Like 2

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Non-exclusive tag was a genius move by the Ravens.

Exclusive would have put all the pressure on them since it would have either been a wild cap hit or a path to true free agency next year. Consecutive non-exclusive tags is quite manageable. 32.4M in 2023. 38.8M in 2024. 55.98M in 2025. That comes to 3 years $127.18M. If the Ravens wanted to REALLY play hardball they could.

I thought that they can only tag him twice. They can definitely play hard ball but it's a bad look for the organization, IMO. 

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I completely disagree. 

You make a move for Lamar. You give up huge assets and give him a huge contract. He regresses again. You now have one of if not the worst contract in the NFL. Congrats.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I thought that they can only tag him twice.

Any Club that designates a player as a Franchise Player for the third time
shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the
player a one-year NFL Player Contract for the greater of: (A) the average of the five largest
Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section
7(a) below) with the highest such average; (B) 120% of the average of the five largest Prior
Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a)
below) at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year; or
(C) 144% of his Prior Year Salary.

You can do 3 times per the CBA, it is basically 1.44x the previous year. I actually don't see any explicit language saying you can't do 4 years in a row.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Over a quarter billion dollars is a ton of money to put into escrow for a deal that isn't even guaranteed to go through. Even the most cash rich owners in the league would have to move assets around to get a deal like that done, I don't think you can even entertain doing it unless Lamar is a done deal to play for you.

Even if Lamar was an UFA, you have to do it anyway. There’s no way around that. It’s an annoyance that is absolutely in play whether you get him or not. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but you’d have to dk it anyway. You’re making it sound like this incredible task that teams will do anything to avoid, when it’s a completely unavoidable chore no matter how this plays out. Baltimore would have to do the same if they match, but somehow it’s only a deterrent for the other team.

You make it sound like the offering team recouping 100% of that money is a bad thing. They don’t lose a cent if Baltimore matches. 

Just now, wackywabbit said:

You can do 3 times per the CBA, it is basically 1.44x the previous year. I actually don't see any explicit language saying you can't do 4 years in a row.

Knowing how crazy the price tag on three is, I can't imagine it's possible for any team to actually do a 4th even if allowed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya cause Aaron Rodgers is such an amazing playoff QB.  He'll also be 40 in December.  He's done. 

Lamar's completing 55% of his passes, 4 TD (3 passing / 1 rushing), 5 interceptions, and 5 fumbles in 4 career playoff games is the epitome of success. Rodgers is 39 and a year ago today he was coming off of an MVP season where he threw 37 TD / 4 INT and now he's done? lmao

• Like 3

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Really, cause I was just told if they do nothing they’ll be fired too.

There is a middle ground between do nothing and sell the farm for declining Lamar Jackson. The exact same middle ground you are opposed to because you think that guy is a ******.

Just now, Mox said:

There is a middle ground between do nothing and sell the farm for declining Lamar Jackson. The exact same middle ground you are opposed to because you think that guy is a ******.

No I think Aaron Rodgers is declining much more rapidly than Lamar.