DaRon Payne signed for 4year/90 mil 60 guaranteed

ARTMONK HOF

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So basically that Phidarian Mathis pick was not only a reach but a massive waste. Love re-signing Payne but this has to mean Andre Carter is in play in the second round. 

Doesn’t look good for CY or MS. They say it’s a deep class at Edge Rusher. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I have no clue what they are thinking.

I am very happy to see Payne stay, but the cost is just too much. He shouldn't make more than Allen. He is a great player, but this is a really bad business decision.

Not being argumentative but what would you have preferred they did with the money? They let Scherff and all of our DL depth walk and then cut Flowers, Collins etc so they could pay Carson Wentz. I’d prefer this regime just pays the guys we have that are good and we don’t allow them to do anything stupid. Before this deal we were heading into next season at around $100M in cap space. This barely puts a dent in that and we aren’t paying a QB. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Doesn’t look good for CY or MS. They say it’s a deep class at Edge Rusher. 

See I disagree. Jon and Payne have consistently shown up. They earned their deals at the market value of their respected offseason. This year you’re about to literally get your best out of both Case and Tez. And the spoils got to the victor because IMO Tez has been on the cusp of breaking out and becoming great. Chase has really just had a rough go but they both can change their heading. These were all priority draft picks. Good teams don’t let top five players go especially when they’re your top picks. If Chase or Tez or both break out they’ll get paid and that’s when the FO has to get creative. But to all the we don’t sign people we don’t work cap sign all our guys earning it here and restructure and keep this group together. It’s not like we’re paying a top level QB pay this defense and try to emulate what Seattle did.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not being argumentative but what would you have preferred they did with the money? They let Scherff and all of our DL depth walk and then cut Flowers, Collins etc so they could pay Carson Wentz. I’d prefer this regime just pays the guys we have that are good and we don’t allow them to do anything stupid. Before this deal we were heading into next season at around $100M in cap space. This barely puts a dent in that and we aren’t paying a QB. 

Maybe sign any of the interior OLine positions that we don't even have capable starters for. Resign Kam Curl. Sign a decent slot CB. Sign a TE that is better than Bates (Thomas should be cut). Get a decent Kicker, maybe sign a real kick/punt returner...

No clue what they could spend the money on...

32 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So basically that Phidarian Mathis pick was not only a reach but a massive waste. Love re-signing Payne but this has to mean Andre Carter is in play in the second round. 

We really gonna do this again? He was consistently viewed as a 2nd to 3rd round prospect. 

• Like 2