The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I thought the whole reason we signed Maddux to be this teams pitching coach was so he could manage the bullpen himself, was it not?

I dont know where you got that idea? MM wasnt giving up any control

I think It’s a 93-94 win team but with MM they’re probably a 89-91 win team.

Ehhhh, were a #2 Starter or another MOTOB away from that type of team. This Roster is probably an 87-89 win team, but is brought down to a 80-83 win team with this manager

Mo needs to step up and get him outta here. 

I still think this was the reason Oquendo was brought back, and people I trust have said he was promised a shot at the real first sign of trouble.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont know where you got that idea? MM wasnt giving up any control

Ehhhh, were a #2 Starter or another MOTOB away from that type of team. This Roster is probably an 87-89 win team, but is brought down to a 80-83 win team with this manager

I still think this was the reason Oquendo was brought back, and people I trust have said he was promised a shot at the real first sign of trouble.

Oquendo is never going to be this teams Manager. That ship has sailed. And Maddux taking over the pitching was the talk of the entire offseason. And there'd have to be some serious injuries for this team to only win 80 games. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Oquendo is never going to be this teams Manager. That ship has sailed.

We wont know the answer to this until either it happens or he leaves the franchise, but I dont think he comes back to coach here unless there was a chance he got a shot. I also think Matheny is on a much hotter seat than many actually realize. This team has done nothing but underachieve

And Maddux taking over the pitching was the talk of the entire offseason.

Yes, he is the new pitching coach, but what would have made you believe that he was the one making the in game changes? 

And there'd have to be some serious injuries for this team to only win 80 games.

Is this team all that more talented than last years team? I dont think so.  The hitting is a bit better, the starting pitching is a bit worse, and while on paper the Bullpen should be better Matheny doesnt know how to use them, so its about a wash. We only won 83 games last year. So if we were to be missing one bat (like a Carpenter) and the Starting pitching never fully takes off like it could, I could easily see this team being a .500 ball club. The Vegas line for us fell at 85-85.5-86 wins, which doesnt put 80 all that out of reach if we under achieve again (not to mention the trend under Matheny has been regression every single year)

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I also think Matheny is on a much hotter seat than many actually realize. This team has done nothing but underachieve

I think most knowledgeable fans know he's on his last leg and needs results. If we miss playoffs 3 straight years heads will roll and MM and his staff will be 1st on the totem pole.

There was a narrative that came out prior to the season from a beat writer that basically said if we missed the playoffs MM was gone for sure. I truly believe this. 

An in season firing will not happen though, you can bet on that (Unless this team just completely nose dives).

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

An in season firing will not happen though, you can bet on that (Unless this team just completely nose dives).

This is what I am talking about, I think an in season firing is definitely on the table this year, and fan dont want to think that is possible.

Most years, not with this Franchise. But this year, with a team that should be at the very least the #1 WC, its possible. And mostly because of the way that Clubhouse doesnt respect him. If we hit the All Star break and we are floundering, completely underachieving, MM could definitely get the boot there, give Oquendo the opportunity to turn the club around and save the season as his audition. 

34 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is what I am talking about, I think an in season firing is definitely on the table this year, and fan dont want to think that is possible.

Most years, not with this Franchise. But this year, with a team that should be at the very least the #1 WC, its possible. And mostly because of the way that Clubhouse doesnt respect him. If we hit the All Star break and we are floundering, completely underachieving, MM could definitely get the boot there, give Oquendo the opportunity to turn the club around and save the season as his audition. 

In season isn't going to happen IMO unless we just completely tank and sit near the bottom of the NL. That's the only way I see the FO going to that degree.

I think this team will likely be in similar spot as last year come Sept. I think they'll give MM every opportunity to make the playoffs and then assess from there.

22 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly, I think things would have to go horribly, horribly wrong for the Cardinals to fire Matheny midseason.  Like mutiny bad.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I think things would have to go horribly, horribly wrong for the Cardinals to fire Matheny midseason.  Like mutiny bad.

He lost Molina last year. No matter what the two of them say publicly, that relationship has been fractured. And this locker room mostly follow Molina's lead.

Matheny came in and tried to be everyone's friend, and it backfired last year. You cant just turn the switch and say "now im the coach, not your friend anymore". The 'mutiny' you speak of was much closer last year than you think, and if things take a down turn, and MM continues his public criticisms up, it could go down real fast.

Edited by StLunatic88

I like what I’m seeing from Mikolas. I know it was just the Reds but it was in GABP. He’s got pretty good, versatile stuff. Good heat for working up in the zone and a good curve to work off that. He also works the bottom of the zone and the corners. I think he’s going to be really good for us this year. Like elite #3 starter/good-great #2 type. I see Weaver and Mikolas forming a very solid 2 and 3 behind Carlos.