The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, is Cy Norris our closer?

For now, I think so.  He was really good in that role last year.  He's been good so far this year.  And Holland's still getting back to form.  The job will eventually go to Holland, though.  

38 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

For now, I think so.  He was really good in that role last year.  He's been good so far this year.  And Holland's still getting back to form.  The job will eventually go to Holland, though.  

I like this veteran bunch we have in the pen. There's a lot of experience there. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like this veteran bunch we have in the pen. There's a lot of experience there. 

For sure.  I like the strategy of having several quality arms and letting things work themselves out in terms of roles.  And so far, I think the strategy is playing out well.  

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

What was Matheny’s reasoning for going to Norris for the save last night instead of Holland?

He's still not ready to assume that role. Still working him into that role, as Holland said he still doesn't have a 'great' feel for his command yet.

I think it's smart. Norris has looked sharp and until he blows one or Holland puts together back to back scoreless innings, keep him in the role.

Holland will be the closer sooner than later though...

27 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I wonder what we do with him? He's MLB ready, but so is Bader...

You have to think we look to move one of them this summer for a piece we need...

Or, honestly, we could move both. It's not like we don't have other OF guys who are almost as close. Garcia, Arozarena, and Mercado could probably slot as our 4th or 5th OF this year.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Or, honestly, we could move both. It's not like we don't have other OF guys who are almost as close. Garcia, Arozarena, and Mercado could probably slot as our 4th or 5th OF this year.  

Show me Josh Donaldson! How good would he look at 3B right now...

Too bad Toronto is like 9-3 to start lol...

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looked like Norris had another solid outing last night. Holland needs to get his stuff figured out soon. We need him too. 

Yep, Norris came in and shut the door.

We got to remember, Holland is essentially in ST mode right now. The velocity isn't all the way there yet and he still doesn't have the command of all his pitches. I think he'll get there, but he's still a few games or weeks away from being back to normal.