The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Got to go to my first game of the season yesterday.  Not a good one.  Martinez had trouble finding the strike zone.  We had three errors (Ozuna, Garcia, and J. Martinez).  And we couldn't get anything going offensively against Odorizzi and his 4+ ERA.  Disappointing.  Cool day for the local kid pitching for the opposing team, though.  Good for him.  Rough day for us.

Alex Reyes (elbow) struck out six batters over 3 1/3 scoreless innings Wednesday in his minor league rehab debut with High-A Palm Beach. Reyes scattered four hits and a walk in his first live start since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last February.

He's back! Eligible to come off the DL on May 28th... 

21 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

So when do we start getting concerned about Marcell Ozuna? It's not the cold weather anymore for the slow bat. I think something is still wrong w/ the shoulder...

I'm not too concerned. He'll pick it up. He's probably just pressing trying to impress. 

How is this rotation going to look in a few weeks? Some rumors out there that Waino is headed to the Pen once Reyes is ready. And seems like there’s a lot of people that want to pump Wacha from the rotation. Not really sure how I feel about that.....Don’t really have a problem with Wacha. Think he’s a fine #4-5. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

How is this rotation going to look in a few weeks? Some rumors out there that Waino is headed to the Pen once Reyes is ready. And seems like there’s a lot of people that want to pump Wacha from the rotation. Not really sure how I feel about that.....Don’t really have a problem with Wacha. Think he’s a fine #4-5. 

0% Wainwright goes to the pen IMO. I don't see the staff having the brass to do that. 

Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Weaver, Wainwright

-I think Reyes goes to AAA or they insert him into the BP if needed to start off.

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

0% Wainwright goes to the pen IMO. I don't see the staff having the brass to do that. 

Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Weaver, Wainwright

-I think Reyes goes to AAA or they insert him into the BP if needed to start off.

Haven't they already said he's starting the year in the bullpen?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I could have sworn they said he'd start the year in the bullpen, and eventually stretch him out.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to Waino not Reyes.

I believe in the offseason they talked about Reyes coming back as a RP to start and then sending him down later on to stretch out. Save innings on his arm.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I could have sworn they said he'd start the year in the bullpen, and eventually stretch him out.

My recollection is that starting him in the bullpen was sort of the original plan for this year, but when they needed a 40-man roster spot for someone early in the year (I don't remember who.  Munoz maybe?), they put Reyes on the 60-day DL.  Once they did that, there were some statements made that that delay (activating him late May rather than early May) would allow them to prep him as a starter rather than a reliever.