The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

16 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

What do you all think will happen with the rotation when Reyes does arrive and when Martinez comes back? At that point, we'll have those two plus Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, and Weaver.  I'd be surprised to see a true six-man rotation.  Maybe they rotate some guys through the 10-day DL for rest's sake?  It's a good problem to have.

They were talking about piggybacking the 5th spot. I thought They were saying with Reyes-Flaherty but it could of been with Weaver-Flaherty I cant Remember. 

37 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

They were talking about piggybacking the 5th spot. I thought They were saying with Reyes-Flaherty but it could of been with Weaver-Flaherty I cant Remember. 

Not a bad idea.  That would limit the number of available bullpen arms, but most (if not all) of those bullpen arms wouldn't be needed on that day.  That could work.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

What do you all think will happen with the rotation when Reyes does arrive and when Martinez comes back? At that point, we'll have those two plus Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, and Weaver.  I'd be surprised to see a true six-man rotation.  Maybe they rotate some guys through the 10-day DL for rest's sake?  It's a good problem to have.

A) Youre assuming everyone stays healthy, thats alot to ask

B) I imagine we take advantage of the 10 day like we have been

C) We should go 6 man and stretch them out an extra inning or so the way our BP has been (but we wont)

D) It will likely be Weaver or Flaherty going down for some work until needed

23 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What’s everyone’s feelings on Oscar Mercado? Dude stunk with the bat his first few years in the system but then had a breakout year last year and this year he’s absolutely raking. And he’s improved on his K-rate and walk-rate. 

He's been doing this over the last ~700 PA, I think it's time to talk about him regaining his prospect luster.  Obviously, there's a TON of red flags with him and that he'll revert back to his old self, but it seems like the move to the OF has done him wonders.  If he can continue to suppress that K%, I'll be very impressed.  When he started to hit last year, it ballooned to over 21% with the increase of power.  His ISO has gone up 17 points, but his K% has dropped to 13%.

19 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Flaherty probably goes back down.  Miles Mikolas, Luke Weaver, and Carlos Martinez are all going to be in the rotation for various reasons.  Michael Wacha continues to pitch well, so he'll stick in the rotation.  Flaherty goes back down to Memphis when they'll need him at some point in the future.  Maybe they deal Wacha at the deadline?

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Flaherty probably goes back down.  Miles Mikolas, Luke Weaver, and Carlos Martinez are all going to be in the rotation for various reasons.  Michael Wacha continues to pitch well, so he'll stick in the rotation.  Flaherty goes back down to Memphis when they'll need him at some point in the future.  Maybe they deal Wacha at the deadline?

I've heard Flaherty, Weaver and Reyes will piggy back off each other, to conserve innings and keep them all here.

For example, Flaherty throws 4 innings one start, Reyes throws 4 in same game. Weaver gets a full start next game. And it rotates every time through...

On 5/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

It's all 3 of them. Reyes, Weaver and Flaherty. It'll rotate who gets the full start everytime through the rotation...

46 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've heard Flaherty, Weaver and Reyes will piggy back off each other, to conserve innings and keep them all here.

For example, Flaherty throws 4 innings one start, Reyes throws 4 in same game. Weaver gets a full start next game. And it rotates every time through...

Is that going to everyone their usual rest?

The Manny Machado trade sweepstakes will likely kick off after the June amateur draft, with the Orioles beginning new talks with some teams and picking up the threads of past conversation. Last December, the Orioles believed they were making serious progress on a deal with the Cardinals -- for pitching prospects, plus third baseman Jedd Gyorko -- and then St. Louis backed off. The Cardinals have the deepest well of young pitchers of any team, which would probably give them an advantage over other clubs if they decide they want Machado this summer.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/18555/olney-whos-hot-in-the-trade-market-for-relief-pitching

Interesting.  I think given the fact that the Cardinals wouldn't receive any compensation if Machado were to walk, I'd assume that their young SP (Weaver/Reyes/Flaherty) are off the table.  I'd anticipate they'd be reluctant to deal Jordan Hicks either.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/18555/olney-whos-hot-in-the-trade-market-for-relief-pitching

Interesting.  I think given the fact that the Cardinals wouldn't receive any compensation if Machado were to walk, I'd assume that their young SP (Weaver/Reyes/Flaherty) are off the table.  I'd anticipate they'd be reluctant to deal Jordan Hicks either.

I think Machado as basically a 3/4 month rental drastically changes his value to most teams. Us being a prime example. I’m not going to speculate what a trade for him would look like, but I’m sure our offer would be half or less of what it was last year

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think Machado as basically a 3/4 month rental drastically changes his value to most teams. Us being a prime example. I’m not going to speculate what a trade for him would look like, but I’m sure our offer would be half or less of what it was last year

No doubt.  But it only takes one team to throw a crazy offer at them.  Remember when the A's sent Addison Russell to the Cubs for Shark?  I'm not sure what else I'd deal besides Jedd Gyorko for Manny Machado, but I don't really have any desire to deal any of my young arms (Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty/Hicks).  I'd probably be willing to give up Dakota Hudson.

For years now, everyone in baseball has looked at the St. Louis organization and asked, ’How do they keep doing this?’ Their people see attributes that others don’t,” one rival executive told Miklasz.  “They’re really good about projecting what a pitcher can become….They turn out better than many in our business envisioned. The Cardinals do a fantastic job. Better than anyone, really. It’s not like the Cardinals are sitting there every year, drafting in the top 10.”

Saw this quote today, and it's still astounds me how the Cardinals continue to churn out pitching prospects.  I mean, we've been talking about Alex Reyes, Jack Flaherty, and to a lesser extent Jordan Hicks, but some of the "other" guys have putting up really good numbers.  Dakota Hudson, Ryan Helsley, and Austin Gomber are all putting up strong numbers in Memphis.