The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Were honestly just not that good of a team. But then again, I dont think there are very many good teams in all of baseball right now.

I think Our team is pretty strong, we just have a dumb manager and a terrible hitting coach. 

28 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I think Our team is pretty strong, we just have a dumb manager and a terrible hitting coach. 

I tend to agree w/ @StLunatic88. I don't think we can simply point the finger at the manager/hitting coach here. They definitely aren't helping, but it's on the players more so IMO...

Until the BP pieces actually pitch up to their career norms/improve and veterans like Fowler, Carpenter and Ozuna start hitting like we expected, we're going to continue to struggle.

Until then and we get some pieces back off the DL, I think we're a middling team... 

2 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Until then and we get some pieces back off the DL, I think we're a middling team... 

This is really where my opinion stems from. Currently our BP is an absolute mess. Our lineup is always hot and cold (way more cold than it should be) and our starting pitching is falling apart at the seams. 

We have the pieces on the 40 man to be good, but currently we are just average.

I stated this a few weeks ago and last night the broadcasters took note as well.

Ozuna's swing is unusually long right now and leading to think the shoulder issue is still present and effecting him as I stated a few weeks back. 

He can't get to pitches away at all right now...

On 5/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I know you and I are very high on him. As I said earlier this year, he's my favorite position player prospect we have.

If he can hit with some power, he's a legit prospect in terms of breaking onto some top 100 lists.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

We're a playing like a .500 team right now, probably sub-.500 with all of the injuries that are mounting up.  There's just not much that I'd say is going well right now.

Good salvage win yesterday to split the series. Phillies are a good team, they're way ahead of schedule...

-Tyler O'Neill showed the type of power he has. He took a pitch that he 'missed' and put it over the fence yesterday.

-Jack Flaherty is here to stay. He showed the type of stuff he has when it's all clicking.

-Jordan Hicks hit 105 MPH on the 2 fastballs yesterday, only other player to do that in same game is Aroldis Chapman. He throws so hard, but man he sure doesn't miss very many AB's. Only 9K's in 22 innings... 

The future of our pitchers is very bright. Flaherty looks to be a stud. I remember looking at his profile and thinking, what makes this guy good? He didn't look like he had any one thing that stuck out. That was pretty foolish of me. His slider is electric and if he can keep his FB velocity at about 93-94 for his career, watch out. This is not based on the one fantastic start, but his future is looking really good.  

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

-Jordan Hicks hit 105 MPH on the 2 fastballs yesterday, only other player to do that in same game is Aroldis Chapman. He throws so hard, but man he sure doesn't miss very many AB's. Only 9K's in 22 innings...

Man, that was ridiculous.  Chapman had recently broken Hicks' record for the fastest pitch of the year with a 103.something.  Hicks broke that record on all 5 pitches of that AB.  Crazy!  But yes, his lack of K's is weird.  Hopefully that improves with experience.  I would have to think it would.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?