The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Like I said, I think he'll be just fine at SS for next 2-3 years if need be. He's shown that already.

I don't think Simmons will be dealt either. I was just using him as the example of what we would be targeting there. Guy that is outstanding defender and has a legit bat. I think we would pay that premium if it was somewhat realistic.

I'm not sure that's readily available.  Jose Iglesias is realistically probably the best available SS you're going to have a shot at this offseason.

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

They do it with everyone. I think he profiles best as a late innings guy and could move quick as such...

Speaking of pitching, this seems to be the first time in a long time when the top of our prospect rankings isn't dominated by pitching.  I think you could make a real argument that there's only two pitching prospects in our top 10.

FWIW, here's my top 10 Cardinals prospects.

1.) OF Tyler O'Neill
2.) RHP Dakota Hudson
3.) 3B Nolan Gorman
4.) RHP Ryan Helsley
5.) C Andrew Knizner
6.) 3B Elehuris Montero
7.) OF Randy Arozarena
8.) OF Justin Williams
9.) OF Dylan Carlson
10.) OF Conner Capel

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

1.) OF Tyler O'Neill
2.) RHP Dakota Hudson
3.) 3B Nolan Gorman
4.) RHP Ryan Helsley
5.) C Andrew Knizner
6.) 3B Elehuris Montero
7.) OF Randy Arozarena
8.) OF Justin Williams
9.) OF Dylan Carlson
10.) OF Conner Capel

Good list. I'm assuming we're not considering Kelly a prospect still right?

I'd probably plug in Genesis Cabrera for Carlson. Love his upside as a potential lefty starter.

34 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good list. I'm assuming we're not considering Kelly a prospect still right?

I'd probably plug in Genesis Cabrera for Carlson. Love his upside as a potential lefty starter.

I don't include him.  He'd probably be 1B to O'Neill's 1A.  As for Carlson, I think it's what he's doing that is so impressive.  He's got the 16th highest OPS, which doesn't sound all that impressive until you realize the average age in the Florida State League is between 22 and 23 years old.  Dylan Carlson doesn't even turn 20 until the end of October.  Just to put it into context, Isaac Paredes, Jesus Sanchez, Taylor Trammell and Andres Gimenez are the only guys ahead of Carlson in that 19-20 age range who are posting better numbers than Carlson.  Isaac Paredes has since been promoted to AA as has Andres Gimenez.

Isaac Paredes (2B, Detroit): .259/.338/.455, .361 wOBA, 125 wRC+, 9.2 BB%, 15.6 K%
Jesus Sanchez (OF, Tampa Bay): .301/.331/.462, .359 wOBA, 124 wRC+, 4% BB%, 18.8% K%
Taylor Trammell (OF, Cincinnati): .278/.374/.406, .365 wOBA, 128 wRC+, 12.5% BB%, 22.2% K%
Andres Gimenez (SS, NY Mets): .282/.348/.432, .357 wOBA, 123 wRC+, 6.3% BB%, 19.9% K%
Dylan Carslson (OF, St. Louis): .262/.366/.390, .350 wOBA, 119 wRC+, 13.2%, 18.6K%

A couple of other things that need to be pointed out.  His slugging is depressed because the FSL tends to depreciate hitters, so if you're hitting above-average in that league you're doing really damn good.  On a semi-related note, he was hitting with virtually no power.  His ISO in the first half of the year was .104.  In the second half, his ISO is .149.  Again, those numbers get depressed for the league he's in, but still incredibly impressive given how young he is.  If you want your breakout player for next year, look no forward.  He's going to burst on the scenes next year IMO.  I was very tempted to put him 7th behind Elehuris Montero.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

1.) OF Tyler O'Neill
2.) RHP Dakota Hudson
3.) 3B Nolan Gorman
4.) RHP Ryan Helsley
5.) C Andrew Knizner
6.) 3B Elehuris Montero
7.) OF Randy Arozarena
8.) OF Justin Williams
9.) OF Dylan Carlson
10.) OF Conner Capel

I like the list for the most part, but I don't think Justin Williams or Capel should be on it. My list probably looks something like...

1. Tyler O'Neil OF
2. Nolan Gorman 3B 
3. Dakota Hudson RHP
4. Ryan Helsley RHP
5. Andrew Knizner C 
6. Elehuris Montero 3B 
7. Dylan Carlson OF
8. Randy Arozarena OF
9. Griffin Roberts RHP
10. Evan Mendoza 3B 

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I like the list for the most part, but I don't think Justin Williams or Capel should be on it. My list probably looks something like...

1. Tyler O'Neil OF
2. Nolan Gorman 3B 
3. Dakota Hudson RHP
4. Ryan Helsley RHP
5. Andrew Knizner C 
6. Elehuris Montero 3B 
7. Dylan Carlson OF
8. Randy Arozarena OF
9. Griffin Roberts RHP
10. Evan Mendoza 3B 

Nothing wrong with that list.  I have Griffin Roberts 11th on my list, and he'll move into the top 10 when we actually get to see him pitch.  As for Mendoza, really want to see him hit for some power.

31 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So is anyone getting called up with the Fowler injury or is Wong just taking his spot on the roster? Right now we have 9 Relievers...

I think it's a straight one-for-one swap.  Haven't seen any other moves.

I know it's incredibly early, and I usually don't even start looking at prospects until they reach the States, but our July 2nd International prized signee Malcom Nunez is having a great year over in the DSL. Nunez is a 5'11 200 pound (I question those stats) 3rd Baseman out of Cuba who the Cardinals signed for $300,000 last month. 

26 games...

.427 BA/.504 OBP/.708 SLG/11 Doubles/2 triples/4 Homers/28 RBI 

13.3% Walk-rate/15.0% K-Rate/219^ wRC+

• Like 1