The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I know It’s been a small sample size, but Mike Shildt has injected a little bit of life into this franchise. Love the aggressiveness on the bases and the Bullpen management. Big series coming up against Pittsburgh....

Agreed. It's been a breathe of fresh air not just for us fans, but you can see it on the players too. Much needed.

Even if Schildt doesn't get the gig, I think he's been important to show the direction we need to head with a hire.

Here's a question Ive had for a while, in refrence to looking at this team going forward;

• Do we see Paul DeJong as a long term SS?

I think he is definitely part of the franchisee plan going forward, but where does he fit in? Hes really the only bat right now (other than Yadi) that I feel like I can count on for the next 3-4 years to be a consistent part of the lineup. I want Bader/O'Neill to be in that group, but its too early. And it would be nice if we could group in Ozuna and Wong, but they seem to shift weekly if not daily.

Id really hate to see DeJong get treated like Matt Carpenter has, sticking him to one position would really help navigate how we are going to build the rest of the roster.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Teams like the Dodgers or Yankees or Cubs will always outspend us as a team, but they should never be able to outspend us for a singular player. As he is a California kid, maybe that pull is too strong, but Dollars should never be the limiting factor for the Cardinals for any single player if we truly want them.

We have a growing payroll with the new TV contract, and we should be shedding big/bad contracts pretty soon ($40m from Wainwright, Holland, Norris this year, $40m from Gregerson, Carpenter, Gyorko, Mikolas next year, and $38m from Molina, Wong and Cecil the year after that. And unfortunately still another $16.5m to Fowler for 2021).

Im aware that we arent the favorites for Arenado, but we would have just shed at least $80m going to that offseason (with only possibly paying Ozuna) So we should have no problem paying him $25m+ per year if he wants to come here.

First off, I wasn't trying to imply that the Cardinals couldn't match a similar offer to Machado/Harper, but the idea that the Cardinals can afford the same level as player as the Yankees/Dodgers isn't.  Spending $30M on Machado or Harper hurts the Cardinals whose payroll is in that $150-$160M range, where as the Dodgers/Yankees are sporting $200M payrolls.  Committing 20% of your payroll to one player limits how you put pieces around them.  And that also needs to be supplemented by a LOT of cost-controlled players.  Right now, our big league roster consists of Kolten Wong, Paul DeJong, Carlos Martinez, Jack Flaherty, and Luke Weaver.  Add on the young guys, and you've got a good core but the problem is the money that's being tied down by guys like Dexter Fowler, Brett Cecil, and Luke Gregerson.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do we see Paul DeJong as a long term SS?

I think he can be.  But I think that's part of the value with him is that his bat plays at 2B, SS, and 3B.  So it really comes down to a matter of what the rest of the roster is composed of.  Part of me wonders if the Cardinals shouldn't go after Jose Iglesias with a 4/$60M deal, but I'd venture a guess that the Tigers will throw a QO at him to recoup a pick.  Internally, the only real SS prospect of note they have is Delvin Perez and he's 3 yearsish away from being MLB ready.  He's our SS unless we sign someone IMO.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think he can be.  But I think that's part of the value with him is that his bat plays at 2B, SS, and 3B.  So it really comes down to a matter of what the rest of the roster is composed of.  Part of me wonders if the Cardinals shouldn't go after Jose Iglesias with a 4/$60M deal, but I'd venture a guess that the Tigers will throw a QO at him to recoup a pick.  Internally, the only real SS prospect of note they have is Delvin Perez and he's 3 yearsish away from being MLB ready.  He's our SS unless we sign someone IMO.

I think DeJong could stick at SS in the interim (2-3 years). He makes the plays when the ball comes his way and he actually has ability to make plays going to his right in the hole. Good enough arm as well. He struggles with range though up the middle.

I think long term though (assuming his bat is what we expect) he's better suited for 2B or 3B defensively. He reminds me of what Jhonny Peralta was his 1st full year here. He was solid, but not spectacular. Which is just fine .

To you're point @CWood21 ideally you'd like to see us go after Simmons if he was available. A guy that is stellar defensively, but also offers some bat.

I like the idea of Iglesias, as he's an excellent glove. Problem is we're sacrificing significant offense for defense. Of all the spots on the diamond though, SS is the spot you can live with that as long as you supplement that elsewhere.Adieny Hechavarria was just released by Ray's and could be had for nothing if we were going this route. They're basically same player and another option.

Edited by kgarrett12486

7 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Griffin Roberts saw his first game action in like 3 months...

GCL League.....

1.1 ip, 2 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 2 walks, 1 K 

Glad to see him back on the mound. 

He's going to be a fast rider through the system. Will be an impact BP arm sooner than later...

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

I think DeJong could stick at SS in the interim (2-3 years). He makes the plays when the ball comes his way and he actually has ability to make plays going to his right in the hole. Good enough arm as well. He struggles with range though up the middle.

I think long term though (assuming his bat is what we expect) he's better suited for 2B or 3B defensively. He reminds me of what Jhonny Peralta was his 1st full year here. He was solid, but not spectacular. Which is just fine .

To you're point @CWood21 ideally you'd like to see us go after Simmons if he was available. A guy that is stellar defensively, but also offers some bat.

I like the idea of Iglesias, as he's an excellent glove. Problem is we would have to give up assets to get him. Adieny Hechavarria was just released by Ray's and could be had for nothing if we were going this route. They're basically same player.

I mean, Paul DeJong just turned 25 years old.  I think he should be able to stick at short for the next 3-4 years.  He's not going to be considered a great defender there, but he's not going to be a liability either.  I'd definitely agree in an ideal world, we'd move him off short and put someone whose better there defensively.  As for Simmons, I seriously doubt he's available and the Angels are probably going to want a fortune for him.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, Paul DeJong just turned 25 years old.  I think he should be able to stick at short for the next 3-4 years.  He's not going to be considered a great defender there, but he's not going to be a liability either.  I'd definitely agree in an ideal world, we'd move him off short and put someone whose better there defensively.  As for Simmons, I seriously doubt he's available and the Angels are probably going to want a fortune for him.

Like I said, I think he'll be just fine at SS for next 2-3 years if need be. He's shown that already.

I don't think Simmons will be dealt either. I was just using him as the example of what we would be targeting there. Guy that is outstanding defender and has a legit bat. I think we would pay that premium if it was somewhat realistic.

Tyler Lyons made it through waivers unclaimed. He'll remain in the organization.

I'm actually glad to see this. He was not right this year. Battled health issues all year and saw diminished velocity and pitches not coming out of his hand right. Hopefully he can get healthy. He could make the team again next year out of the BP.