The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

15 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I like the deal. Mercado was a favorite, but destined to be a utility OF.

We got 2 high upside prospects if they hit. Jhon Torres who is just 18 and has performed well so far. Conner Capel has big time talent with 4 plus tools.

We've added some good potential pieces to our minors over last week or so...

This deal doesn't make sense to me, but then again I'm generally not a huge prospect-for-prospect trades.

42 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont know the Pirates system very well, and I havent seen the comparison anywhere, but do any of you know what the equivalent package the Cardinals would have had to put together to have mad the trade for Archer ?

I don’t think an O’Neil, Kelly, Hudson/Gomber package would of been to far off. 

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don’t think an O’Neil, Kelly, Hudson/Gomber package would of been to far off. 

Think more like Weaver/Flaherty and O'Neill.  Meadows is more valuable than O'Neill, but Glasnow is probably worse than Flaherty at this point.  Either way, that's more expensive than what it'd be worth it for the Cardinals.

I didn’t mind our deadline. We bolstered our farm and ditched some dead weight, especially in the OF. We remade our pen. We set ourselves up for a splash move in the off-season. We made some room for our young guys.

Would I have preferred to ditch Norris and Jose Martinez? Absolutely. But, as was mentioned, not a ton of teams were looking for DH and Norris is not exactly a Chapman like piece. 

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I didn’t mind our deadline. We bolstered our farm and ditched some dead weight, especially in the OF. We remade our pen. We set ourselves up for a splash move in the off-season. We made some room for our young guys.

Would I have preferred to ditch Norris and Jose Martinez? Absolutely. But, as was mentioned, not a ton of teams were looking for DH and Norris is not exactly a Chapman like piece. 

I mean, for me it's not even the trades they made.  It's the complete and utter lack of direction this franchise refuses to choose that is going to bury this franchise.  We're losing value day-by-day.  When there's obvious trade candidates (Jedd Gyorko at the deadline last year, Miles Mikolas and Bud Norris at this deadline, etc.), they choose not to.  And it's usually some sort of comment about not wanting to commit to a rebuild.  I mean, I get there's a stigma about rebuilding and at the end of the day the Cardinals don't want to risk falling out of the top 5 in terms of attendance.  I can pretty much guarantee that they'll stick in the top 15 short of them putting together a AAAA roster out there.  That's my issue.

No, I don't think the Tommy Pham trade was the best package.  And I certainly don't think they felt that they were trading him without any other reason other than to open up PT for Tyler O'Neill and Harrison Bader, which isn't something I'm opposed to.  Best case scenario, they would have released Dexter Fowler and ate the remaining salary to open up PT, but the Cardinals didn't want to do that obviously.  But it's more the fact that they missed the opportunity to sell high when they didn't deal Pham last offseason, that's my issue.  It seems to be a reoccurring theme where the Cardinals consistently sell late.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, for me it's not even the trades they made.  It's the complete and utter lack of direction this franchise refuses to choose that is going to bury this franchise.  We're losing value day-by-day.  When there's obvious trade candidates (Jedd Gyorko at the deadline last year, Miles Mikolas and Bud Norris at this deadline, etc.), they choose not to.  And it's usually some sort of comment about not wanting to commit to a rebuild.  I mean, I get there's a stigma about rebuilding and at the end of the day the Cardinals don't want to risk falling out of the top 5 in terms of attendance.  I can pretty much guarantee that they'll stick in the top 15 short of them putting together a AAAA roster out there.  That's my issue.

No, I don't think the Tommy Pham trade was the best package.  And I certainly don't think they felt that they were trading him without any other reason other than to open up PT for Tyler O'Neill and Harrison Bader, which isn't something I'm opposed to.  Best case scenario, they would have released Dexter Fowler and ate the remaining salary to open up PT, but the Cardinals didn't want to do that obviously.  But it's more the fact that they missed the opportunity to sell high when they didn't deal Pham last offseason, that's my issue.  It seems to be a reoccurring theme where the Cardinals consistently sell late.

I agree that they have been terrible about selling low. Gyorko has suffered his very expected regression, as did Pham. I think the deadline could have been better, I'm just not crazy upset with it. I do think we are setting ourselves up for a big move or two in the offseason. And I think Mo knows he needs to start hitting on some of these moves or his job is in danger, so I'd say they will get done.  

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree that they have been terrible about selling low. Gyorko has suffered his very expected regression, as did Pham. I think the deadline could have been better, I'm just not crazy upset with it. I do think we are setting ourselves up for a big move or two in the offseason. And I think Mo knows he needs to start hitting on some of these moves or his job is in danger, so I'd say they will get done.  

I mean, 3 months from now we are in the same position except Bud Norris is a FA and Miles Mikolas has lost his chunk of his value because he couldn't keep up the pace.  We don't have the financial muscle that teams like the Dodgers or Yankees do, so going out and grabbing a franchise cornerstone like Bryce Harper or Manny Machado simply isn't a viable option.  So then you're digging into that second tier of FAs, and those aren't going to change their fortune.

Honestly, I think Mo has another year and a half to two years before he starts feeling the pressure.  I mean, how long did it take before the Cardinals finally committed to admitting their mistake with Matheny?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This deal doesn't make sense to me, but then again I'm generally not a huge prospect-for-prospect trades.

I get the thought behind the deal. Mercado is ready for the next level, or will be next season. We have a logjam at AAA.

We get essentially a similar type prospect, who is further away. We also get a high power lottery ticket prospect as well.

It's not like Mercado had a clear cut path or the talent for us to clear a path.

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

We need an official Elehuris Montero watch. Dude went 2/4 with another double last night. He’s leading the Midwest league in a bunch of stats. 

For sure.  His bat is legit.  Hopefully he can stick at third.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If he can, our current OF logjam will be replaced by one at third. Not complaining, though.

Ehh, Wisdom is on his way out, another guy who could be in Rule 5 trouble and he will be one of the first moved. Honestly wouldnt be shocked to see a NBA like move to pair him with Cecil or Fowler to try and move money with nothing much in return.

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehh, Wisdom is on his way out, another guy who could be in Rule 5 trouble and he will be one of the first moved. Honestly wouldnt be shocked to see a NBA like move to pair him with Cecil or Fowler to try and move money with nothing much in return.

Pretty much.  Wisdom is a non-prospect, and I figured he'd be apart of a prospect-for-prospect deal.  Don't think he has the value to help move Fowler or Cecil.