The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

@holt_bruce81 I think we're all frustrated as fans that we couldn't get some SP help....

With that said, I don't think the frustration is warranted toward the FO in this case. The market for starting pitchers simply wasn't there as most clubs expected on deadline day. The teams thought to be sellers chose to hold onto their guys, or demand a ransom...

It's not like we were the only contending team that came away empty handed...

I definitely understand where the market was and that teams were asking for a ridiculous return for their pitchers. Of course I didn’t Want to trade Gorman or Carlson for Robbie freaking Ray and I’m glad they didn’t. 

And if this team had healthy depth in the minors, I’d feel a little better. If Gomber and Reyes were healthy and if Helsley was stretched out, I’d feel a lot better about the bullpens chances at staying strong. 

I just have questions more than anything after yesterday. How creative is Shildt/Mo going to be when rosters expand? Are they going to call up Helsley, Gomber, Ponce....and have more Flexibility in the rotation? Piggyback starts to save some of their bullpen pieces. 

Ill bring up a name and get some eye rolls, but the A’s got Tanner Roark for practically nothing. Now I’m not saying Tanner Roark is going to take this team to the WS. He’s garbage. But he’s less garbage than what Ponce and Wacha have given us this season. My main issue and worry is bullpen usage. I dont Want to devalue what an “Ace” means to a team, probably because the Cardinals don’t have one. But IMO having a strong rotation has become less important for the postseason and having a strong bullpen has become more important. If the Cards do make the playoffs and stand any sort of chance at advancing, the BP is going to have to be strong because we don’t matchup well head to head vs anyone else’s starting staff. Right now the Cardinals have a really strong bullpen, but I dont Think they can maintain their success because of how much they’re being used. We’re seeing it with a few guys right now down there....Gant, Brebbia don’t look the same as they did. Unless of course the Cardinals do indeed get creative with the staff. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Highly doubt it was just a 1-1 swap of either....

Wheeler didn't get dealt and Astros, Ray's and Yankees were all over him. That tells me Mets had a high price no one wanted to meet...

I highly Doubt it was a 1-1 swap as well. I dont really believe anything Mark Saxon “reports.” 

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm here to eat my crow. Going into the year, I thought the Wieters deal was worthless...

He's the best secondary catcher we've ever had. Hits for power, commands staff and throwing out 50% of runners...

They’ll never do it but Wieters should continue playing even when Yadi comes back.

Ozuna with 3 hits last night. Including a double and a 3-run homer. Would be surprised if he’s not activated for the A’s series. 

Also, Carpenter with 2 nice hits yesterday. Two sharp line drives to right field. And in his first AB he hit a nice liner up the middle that was caught by the shortstop. He’s seeing the shift in the minors just like he was up here. Seemed to be tracking the ball well yesterday. 

It’s weird watching a Memphis game and seeing Bader-Carpenter-Ozuna I’m the middle of their lineup. 

I don't love Carpenter(mainly the contract) but I think he gives us the best chance to win going forward. I think Edman's smoke and mirrors are about to wear off. If Carpenter can regain any semblance of talent, he'll be a big help down the stretch. Ozuna is going to be big too. Add those two dudes in the lineup and our offense gets considerably better. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Speaking of defense is it just me or has Martinez looked a lot better out if the outfield since the All-Star break?

It's not just you, even broadcasters have been taking notice. He's made some real nice plays and is taking much better routes/playing the ball better...

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If Carlson ends up as Lance Berkman, I think we'd all be thrilled...

Definitely. I would love for him to be Berkman. I just don't think that's a dude you can win with as your best player. He's like a really good/great player, just not "elite." I was just wondering if Carlson had that kind of potential.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?