The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You think we'll trade Mejia or drop him down to the minors?

Also, who is this dude? He's large and lefty. Always intriguing. 

Mejia is a former top 100 prospect that has flamed out. He’s more of a AAAA kind of arm at this point...

I don’t think we’d have any issue DFA him if we got a better piece and see if he’d clear waivers...

Goold reported earlier that Gyorko was removed from the 40 man roster. And this was after he reported that Gyorko was moved to the 60-day IL to add a spot for Mejia on the roster. 

So is being added to the 60 day IL and being removed from the 40-man roster two totally different moves? Does moving a player to the 60-day just “add” a spot to the 40-man and not remove that player off the 40? 

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Goold reported earlier that Gyorko was removed from the 40 man roster. And this was after he reported that Gyorko was moved to the 60-day IL to add a spot for Mejia on the roster. 

So is being added to the 60 day IL and being removed from the 40-man roster two totally different moves? Does moving a player to the 60-day just “add” a spot to the 40-man and not remove that player off the 40? 

Gold now saying we’re actively shopping Gyorko...

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

CMart was absolutely filthy tonight. He's finally starting to let it eat again and not hold back...

Amazing how much better his command is too when he's not pitching every night...

With Carlos coming around and the potential of adding another BP piece, I could see us going on a Cleveland style run from 2016. Our offense might actually be a little better than theirs. Their rotation was better, but our BP might actually be deeper. 

I'd like to see Junior Fernandez called up in September too. I want to see if he will be able to help us out of the pen in the playoffs. 

Just imagine having to face Brebbia, Gant, Miller, Gallegos, Fernandez, Deadline get, and Martinez. That's some serious firepower. I mean, our starter would only need to go 3 innings, which is ideal since I think that's as much as we'll probably get out of most of them. 

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, trading for Zach Wheeler isn't going to fix our season.

Depends on what you mean by “fix” we are currently in 1st place, not sure what you’re looking for in a trade. If you’re looking for a guy to come in and put us on par with the Dodgers, yeah your right, Wheeler doesn’t “fix” our season. But if you’re looking for a guy to help get over the hump and win the division....then yes absolutely Wheeler helps this team. And you have to win the division first to have any chance. 

Wheeler would be a nice get and would save some of those arms in the bullpen. 

31 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Depends on what you mean by “fix” we are currently in 1st place, not sure what you’re looking for in a trade. If you’re looking for a guy to come in and put us on par with the Dodgers, yeah your right, Wheeler doesn’t “fix” our season. But if you’re looking for a guy to help get over the hump and win the division....then yes absolutely Wheeler helps this team. And you have to win the division first to have any chance. 

Wheeler would be a nice get and would save some of those arms in the bullpen. 

Problem with Wheeler is you're going to severely overpay for him now. With the Astros and Yankees focused on him now and what they can offer to Mets, good luck...

Still think we'll end up with a BOR starter by end of this. Probably won't be a sexy name, but guy who can eat innings...

I'd be fine with that too. The trade deadline has completely changed last two years. Fringe teams just don't sell like they did in past...